Back from Beautiful Explorer and Bermuda!!

Haven't had internet service since before we left for our 8-12 Bermuda cruise. I was really having withdrawal after returning when I couldn't even check Cruise Critic!!

Have pics but probably not worth posting, as MrPete's put mine to shame. Good job Pete. Your slide show was great! Am I forgiven for not getting to the M&G?

A quick mini review:

Arrived at Bayonne at 11:00. Took us EXACTLY 3 hours from Baltimore MD.

Only had to wait in a short line to drop our luggage, and then got a a great parking spot within a short walk back. We did have to wait to board. Surprised to see so many passengers still departing from the ship.

DH's first cruise. He had a fabulous time. The ship is beautiful..there is minor wear in places, but you wouldn't notice it if you were not looking for it. The public areas are just beautiful. We were in a D2...very roomy and enjoyed the balcony. The bed is unbelievably comfortable and I slept better than I have in years. We had a few service issues the first day, but after going to guest relations, everything was great.

I enjoyed the dining room for dinner, but not crazy about theWindjammer Cafe. Too much food and too many people acting like they hadn't eaten in days!! I'm not a big fan of hot food during the day, so I would grab a salad, fruit and cold sandwich, and of course a cookie!! The best coconut cookies!!! I really enjoyed the Cafe Promenade, open 24/7 and would stop by for a sandwich, slice of pizza, and of course a cookie!! I loved to coffee in the dining room and the Cafe. Back to the dining room...wanted to mention that the low fat and sugar free deserts were very very good!

We dined in Portofino the last night. It was definitely worth spending the extra money. Service, food, staff were all exceptional!!

Bermuda is beautiful!! We didn't get to see as much as we would have liked, so we'll just have to return!

Disembarkment was really smooth in my opinion. We were off the ship by 10:30 and lucked out with a porter that took us through the crew member customs line and were in our car at 11:00 am!!!

This is a beautiful ship with something for everyone....can't wait to go again!!

I know I've been brief so if you have any questions...ask away!!

Haven't had internet service since before we left for our 8-12 Bermuda cruise. I was really having withdrawal after returning when I couldn't even check Cruise Critic!!

Have pics but probably not worth posting, as MrPete's put mine to shame. Good job Pete. Your slide show was great! Am I forgiven for not getting to the M&G?

A quick mini review:

Arrived at Bayonne at 11:00. Took us EXACTLY 3 hours from Baltimore MD.

Only had to wait in a short line to drop our luggage, and then got a a great parking spot within a short walk back. We did have to wait to board. Surprised to see so many passengers still departing from the ship.

DH's first cruise. He had a fabulous time. The ship is beautiful..there is minor wear in places, but you wouldn't notice it if you were not looking for it. The public areas are just beautiful. We were in a D2...very roomy and enjoyed the balcony. The bed is unbelievably comfortable and I slept better than I have in years. We had a few service issues the first day, but after going to guest relations, everything was great.

I enjoyed the dining room for dinner, but not crazy about theWindjammer Cafe. Too much food and too many people acting like they hadn't eaten in days!! I'm not a big fan of hot food during the day, so I would grab a salad, fruit and cold sandwich, and of course a cookie!! The best coconut cookies!!! I really enjoyed the Cafe Promenade, open 24/7 and would stop by for a sandwich, slice of pizza, and of course a cookie!! I loved to coffee in the dining room and the Cafe. Back to the dining room...wanted to mention that the low fat and sugar free deserts were very very good!

We dined in Portofino the last night. It was definitely worth spending the extra money. Service, food, staff were all exceptional!!

Bermuda is beautiful!! We didn't get to see as much as we would have liked, so we'll just have to return!

Disembarkment was really smooth in my opinion. We were off the ship by 10:30 and lucked out with a porter that took us through the crew member customs line and were in our car at 11:00 am!!!

This is a beautiful ship with something for everyone....can't wait to go again!!

I know I've been brief so if you have any questions...ask away!!

Loved your review - we will be on the Explorer on Nov 11 -- 12 days Caribbean - the last time we were on her was NOv 2000 - had a great time then too -

Yes, the cookies are delish!! I do like the sugar-free desserts as I taste the fruit or Lime (as in key lime pie) -as opposed to Sugar Sugar in the regular desserts.

Glad you had a great time - this is beautiful ship!! and when is your next cruise? Carol

thanks for the review. where you on the 5 night cruise to bermuda? what excursions did you do? how long does it take to get from the ship to hamilton? if you docked at the west end naval dock was there stuff to do right there? thanks. dean:p ;)

thanks for the review. where you on the 5 night cruise to bermuda? what excursions did you do? how long does it take to get from the ship to hamilton? if you docked at the west end naval dock was there stuff to do right there? thanks. dean:p ;)

I am not the OP but I thought I would jump in and answer. There is a ferry from right at the pier by the ship to Hamilton. It was about a 40 minutes or so ride. Right at King's Wharf there is a bunch of shops. The Naval dockyard fort, a snorkel park, craft market, and restaurants. We did the Restless Native Catamaran snorkel and it was fantastic!! The other day we took the # 7 bus to Horseshoe beach.

To the OP glad you had a wonderful time. We loved the Explorer and being able to just drive there and get on was wonderful.

We will be in Bermuda next week. We have booked the Restless Native snorkle. Can you tell me a little more about it? Our youngest is 9 years, how will she do? Do you spend anytime on a beach? Thanks

It was one of the best snorkel excursions we have ever done. They bring you to a cove where they lower the stairs under the catamaran and you just walk into the water. I am very short and the water only came to a little above my waist. There were literally thousands of fish and there is a little beach nearby where we found a ton of beach glass so bring a baggie to carry it in. On the way to the cove one of the crew members showed pictures of the different fish we would likely see and some of their habits as well as explained some of the history of Bermuda.

Your 9 year old should absolutely love it. The catamaran is pink and the bake cookies right on board and they were yummy. Anything specific just ask!

Sue, Thanks so much for your quick and informative reply. Can't wait till we walk on to the Explorer. Bermuda here we come!!!

You will love Bermuda and the Explorer. Click on the link in my signature for pictures of the cruise.

Am thinking of booking the Explorer in a D2 room. How tiny was the shower? Have been in a D1 on Grandeur and the room was great but the shower was really small.

Thanks!

We were in a D2 on the Explorer. I guess size is relative to what you are used to, but I found the shower sufficient. It's definitely not made for 2, but plenty of room for one. It was cylinder shaped, with rounded doors instead of a curtain, which was nice. I had no complaints!

Marla

We will be in Bermuda next week. We have booked the Restless Native snorkle. Can you tell me a little more about it? Our youngest is 9 years, how will she do? Do you spend anytime on a beach? Thanks

Hi Lulabelle-

we"re booked on the Restless Native, too with you. Our DS is 13. See you there!!!

Question: I am planning on setting up a cruise to Bermuda with my two 17 y/o nieces next year (on the Explorer). Do the inside staterooms have enough room for 3 people to sleep? I have read that on some ships rooms have the pull out upper bunk and others have a sofa that coverts. I also was going to look into a Promenade room since they look kind of neat but would there be enough sleeping room in those also? Obviously they are all small and I can ask questions when I book but from everyone's experience will I be okay? I don't want to have to spend a fortune on the room and have more $ for running around in Bermuda. This will be the first cruise for all of us. Any info would be appreciated. TIA

Question: I am planning on setting up a cruise to Bermuda with my two 17 y/o nieces next year (on the Explorer). Do the inside staterooms have enough room for 3 people to sleep? I have read that on some ships rooms have the pull out upper bunk and others have a sofa that coverts. I also was going to look into a Promenade room since they look kind of neat but would there be enough sleeping room in those also? Obviously they are all small and I can ask questions when I book but from everyone's experience will I be okay? I don't want to have to spend a fortune on the room and have more $ for running around in Bermuda. This will be the first cruise for all of us. Any info would be appreciated. TIA

On the floorplans on RCCL.com website for the Explorer you will see little symbols, those symbols specify whether the cabin has pullmans ( the ones that come out of the ceiling) or sofabeds.

I'm booked for 12/02. Tell me about Johnny Rocket's. Why would I pay $3.95 for a burger when I can eat in the restaurant? tia

We had a coupon which covered the $3.95 cover charge, which meant our meal was free. But you can order anything you want(except drinks) and it will only cost $3.95. As you can see, my DH enjoyed his burger (and fries and rings!!)

324568703_Bermuda055.jpg.bdb27b274de8c4ea91da522a80221801.jpg

We leave Sunday to Bermuda on the Explorer also. We're trying to decide which night to make reservations at Portifino's, but don't want to miss any great meals in the main ding room. Can you post copies of the menus or recomend which night we should eat at Portifinos. What night is lobster night?

Thanks.

"Lobster" night is Wednesday. I would recommend Thursday for Portofino's. That's fake turkey night.

Ha Ha. . . remember when they used to always have "Tom Turkey" for the final dinner. . .

Now , at least they call it Roast Turkey. . .

Radio

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

"Lobster" night is Wednesday. I would recommend Thursday for Portofino's. That's fake turkey night.

Thanks goodness we went to Portofino Thursday night!!! By the way, we probably never would have gone to Portofino if so many fellow CC members hadn't said how wonderful it was and you were all right!

Mr. Pete-

Thanks for all the feedback on your cruise. We've been on the Voyager 2x and been to Bermuda - so we're going to "Explore" the nooks and crannies (artwork etc) on the Explorer and visit Bermuda NOT on a Sunday (son wants to go to bookstore (Phoenix Pharmacy??).

Anyway, the only drawback about going to Portofino on Thursday is that is TIP night for the wait staff. Do you give them their tips and then exit for dinner? I guess we'd also miss the International Night and the wait staff "singing" for their tips? What was the menu like on Tues. nite (in Bermuda)? We're thinking of booking Portofino for Tuesday so we don't miss tip night.

I love the Thai Lemongrass shrimp -hopefully it's not offered on Tuesday night, if it's still on the menu.

Thanks, in advance.

Anyway, the only drawback about going to Portofino on Thursday is that is TIP night for the wait staff. Do you give them their tips and then exit for dinner? I guess we'd also miss the International Night and the wait staff "singing" for their tips? What was the menu like on Tues. nite (in Bermuda)? We're thinking of booking Portofino for Tuesday so we don't miss tip night.

I took care of my tips on Wednesday by putting them on my Seapass. The act of stuffing the slips in the envelopes and giving them to the servers does nothing for me. I just hope it's not a voucher for them to cash in. I assume it gets to them automatically.

Formal night is Monday.

Archived