Worried about Hurricane Dean

Is anyone else going to the Western Carribbean in the next month or so? We are getting married Sep 9th, and I am worried that Dean will have given the islands an awful blow and that they will be devasted.

Being from Florida myself, I know that hurricanes can be devasting to a large state, but for the islands to take a hit like that and be able to continue with their cruise economy is unimaginable.

Has anyone had experience with cruising and inclement weather? I'm not worrried about the wedding, but more the honeymoon itself. Any thoughts? I can't get it off my mind!!

Is anyone else going to the Western Carribbean in the next month or so? We are getting married Sep 9th, and I am worried that Dean will have given the islands an awful blow and that they will be devasted.

Being from Florida myself, I know that hurricanes can be devasting to a large state, but for the islands to take a hit like that and be able to continue with their cruise economy is unimaginable.

Has anyone had experience with cruising and inclement weather? I'm not worrried about the wedding, but more the honeymoon itself. Any thoughts? I can't get it off my mind!!

I have had some experience with this unfortunately. 2 years ago our cruise was affected by a hurricane. (I think Wilma had just come through and had damaged Cancun & Cozumel). We were suppossed to go to both of those places and unfortunately couldn't. We went to other ports instead, which was a dispointment I have to admit. But, it was more of a last minute change so the replacement ports were pretty undesirable (Veracruz & Progreso). We were also supposed to go to Belize and Honduras, but there was tropical storm heading that way so we missed those also! We still had a great time, but I was very disapointed. Bottom line, if you can't go to the original ports, they will try to replace them with others. Try not to worry, it's still a few weeks away. I hope everything works out for you. What ports are you going to & where are getting married? Hopefully Dean will go easy on them!

We are having the wedding while still in port in Tampa, FL. We are headed to Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Belize, and Costa Maya. Most of our excursions are snorkeling, so hopefully everything will be settled by then. You can never tame Mother Nature. Let's keep our fingers crossed!

A big issue with ports after a hurricane is damage to the docks. Poor Cozumel has had their docks annihilated by hurricanes many times. Many times after a hurricane it's just physically impossible for a ship to stop at its scheduled port due to damaged ports/docks.

I'm not saying this to be mean of course....just hope for the best & prepare for the worst. I've been reading lots of threads over on the Carnival forum, and it seems like even though people have had their itineraries changed, they still have a wonderful time on their cruise. Hopefully everything will be able to go as you had originally planned, but if not, just keep a positive attitude about things. I'm sure that you & your new hubby will have a wonderful honeymoon no matter where the ship takes you! Good luck! :)

We are having the wedding while still in port in Tampa, FL. We are headed to Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Belize, and Costa Maya. Most of our excursions are snorkeling, so hopefully everything will be settled by then. You can never tame Mother Nature. Let's keep our fingers crossed!

Good Luck! I am sure everything will work out just fine! I left out of Tampa & did that exact same itinerary 3 years ago. It was such a great cruise!!! We had no problems & great weather! I am sure yours will be the same:)

As long as I get to get married on September 2nd (in port), I don't care where the ship goes...

I just have to hope no hurricanes mess up Galveston...

if for any reason something gets cancelled, my fiancee and I are on the first flight to Vegas... I am NOT planning another wedding. :)

I'm kind of in the same boat (no pun intended) - getting married Sept 23rd in port (Miami)...I too don't care too much where we go after we're married, although it would be nice if we stay as planned because we've already pre-paid for the excursions for all three stops! (I'm assuming if it's rerouted that we'll be fully reimbursed?!?)

My wedding is planned for Feb 2008 in Cozumel. :eek: Needless to say, I'm anxious to hear news this morning regarding the island. I hope everyone there is okay and I hope that the island will be intact for my wedding.

I'm kind of in the same boat (no pun intended) - getting married Sept 23rd in port (Miami)...I too don't care too much where we go after we're married, although it would be nice if we stay as planned because we've already pre-paid for the excursions for all three stops! (I'm assuming if it's rerouted that we'll be fully reimbursed?!?)

The cruise line will reimburse you for any excursions you may have booked if they have to change your itinerary. :)

Archived