Question re: shore excursions...

patterson3

If a ship is in port from 7AM-2PM, how late can you be on shore? Can you board the ship right at 2, or do you have to leave yourself some time? If so, how much? an hour? half hour?...I'm asking because I'd like to book a shore excursion on my own (it wasn't offered by carnival) but I want to make sure I give myself enough time to get back onboard before my ship departs...

Thanks.

Carnival asks that you be back on board 1/2 hour before departure.

It's always fun to sit up on deck watching the frantic returning guests.:p

It is fun, isn't it. We are so easily amused. :eek:

As long as the cruisers are on a Carnival excursion, the ship will wait for them. But if they are not, not only will they not wait, but the cruiser will have to find their own way to get to the next port and that could be quite costly.

It is fun, isn't it. We are so easily amused. :eek:

As long as the cruisers are on a Carnival excursion, the ship will wait for them. But if they are not, not only will they not wait, but the cruiser will have to find their own way to get to the next port and that could be quite costly.

Thanks. One more question (for anyone who's been to Key West). How hard/easy is it to get back to the port from anywhere on the island? The island is pretty small land-wise, but obviously not knowing exactly where we are going, we could easily get lost. So I was just wondering if we booked an excusrion for 12-1, would an hour be giving ourselves enough time to get back to the ship or is that cutting it too close?

Thanks again.

Thanks. One more question (for anyone who's been to Key West). How hard/easy is it to get back to the port from anywhere on the island? The island is pretty small land-wise, but obviously not knowing exactly where we are going, we could easily get lost. So I was just wondering if we booked an excusrion for 12-1, would an hour be giving ourselves enough time to get back to the ship or is that cutting it too close?

Thanks again.

I have never been to Key West so I do not know if and hour will be enough for you to get back to the ship. But as long as your are on a Carnival excursion, the ship will wait for you. Any other excursion, the ship can and will leave.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Thanks again.

The pier in Key West is a little way out from the edge of the downtown area, I think its maintained by the military. There was a shuttle that took us from the ship into town. Then in the afternoon we took a cab that brought us to the base of the pier road where we waited at the 'shuttle stop' for the next shuttle. I think we ended up waiting about 15 min. Be sure to factor that into the amount of time you'll need to get back to the ship.

You'll be fine. Like you said Key West is very small land wise. There are taxis around and lots of friendly locals who can point out which way you need to go. Key West is definatly a port where I would feel safe NOT booking a Carnival excursion, but instead doing my own.

Just returned from Tortola, which had the same schedule. We were instructed to be back no later than 1:30.

My personal comfort level demands that I be within walking distance of the ship an hour before we are due back, so I usually put shopping off until the end of the day. Sometimes this has the added benefit of easier bargaining since vendors know you are leaving. :)

Archived