Should I bring my 5yo to dinner?

radiata

This may be a stupid question, but do people bring their small children to the dining room for dinner? This is my 4th cruise but first with the kiddo and until now we have always had late seating and I don't recall seeing too many children in the dining room. I guess they have childrens menus available as well? Do they usually sit you with other families with smaller children? Thanks in advance.

Kyle

I've not cruised with a ton of kids but what were there seemed to be eating either early seating (we always choose late) or on the Lido. I don't recall seeing any kids recently. As for your experience, that is going to vary. For example, on our Fascination cruise in 2006 we were seated next to a large table of 8 early twenty-something males who were in turn next to a table full of young twenty-something women. The groups were obviously not traveling together though every night we got to listen to the very drunk men show up and try to convince the very drunk women why that would be a good idea. There were more 4 letter words to be had than a dictionary, LOL! While amusing to watch by we 40 somethings, it was NOT something I would want to expose my children to. I suspect you'd see more of this during the late seating but since I've never eaten early, I couldn't comment on that.

I think I would take her (especially if she's well mannered) and see what your surroundings are like. If it's horrible, you can ask to be moved or opt for the Lido.

We plan to take our 11-month old to the dining room every night, barring unforseen circumstances. At home, she always comes to restaurants and is always in great spirits and well-entertained. That said, if she is a fussy fart, we will either eat in the buffet that night or remove her from the dining room so as not to disturb other diners.

You probably know how your child will react. The dinners tend to be long, but certainly managable.

You never know who you are going to sit with. I would take her. A five year old should be fine if she is use to staying up that late. On one of our cruises there was a young child next to us and she was fine. I don't remember how old she was but she did get up and move around a bit but it didn't bother us.

I can't see why not! Carnival generally tries to put you with "like" families, if you aren't with a group... I do think most people take their kids to the early seating, as I rarely see many at late seating, but take your child to whichever seating you want!! :) I know some kids prefer to stay with CC, but I'm not sure the hours, etc.

On our first cruise we did the early seating so that our kids could enjoy the cc activies in the evening and saw many families with young children. Our last cruise was just hubby and I. We did the late seating and did not see very many kids. I think most families choose the early seating.

We started cruising with our children at ages 2 & 4, They are now 4 & 7 and we've never had issues with their behavior at dinner. We have however had issues with the children's behavior with whom we have shared a table, so if we intend to take our children to the dining room for dinner everynight we request early seating, since our kiddo's normal bedtime is around 8:00 p.m. I don't feel it's reasonable to expect for them to wait that long to eat dinner and we usually request a table for just the four of us, since I realize not everyone appreciates sharing their evening meal with two little ones, and I don't really want to share a meal with other people aside from my own family (nothing personal, it's just that I like my husband and kids, we have fun together) Then if all goes according to plan, the kids get to go to Camp Carnival for the remainder of the evening, while d/h and catch a show, have a cocktail or explore the ship.

On a few cruises, we had another plan and we would take the kiddos to the buffet to eat around 6:00 p.m. and at 7:00 they would be ready to go to the kid's club. D/H and I would then eat later in the evening and just have a quiet romantic dinner for two, which was also very nice. So you have lots of choices and options, but you do have to decide in advance how you would like to do it.

We will be travelling with our two young children and I certainly plan on taking them to the dining room with us on most nights. I did request the 6:15dinner seating so they wouldn't be too fussy or tired at that time. I'm also planning on going to see the Maitre'd on the first day on board to see about getting our own private table. As much as I love meeting other people, with small kids, I just feel more comfortable being at our own table.

On one of my favorite cruises, there was a couple who brought their 2 year old son to the dining room every night and that kid was not only well behaved but the cutest little boy I'd ever seen...especially on formal nights when they put him in a little tux. :D He sat and ate like an NFL linebacker and enjoyed watching the waiters do their dance thing each night. They sat with him the full 2 hours for dinner each night too. I couldn't believe how awesome this child was!

Bringing your child depends a lot on you and your child. And your child's mood can change from one second to the next. I suggest you definitely eat in the dining room, but just be ready for any changes that may pop up like the need to leave if your child is having a 'bad' night. It's not fair to your tablemates if you sit there with a baby that isn't in a great mood.

When you have little kids, you can't really plan...you have to go by the seat of your pants. Always having a plan 'B' in place, usually means you won't need it. ;)

This February will be our son's third cruise, and the first one with our daugther (who will be a little less than a year old). Our son first came with us when he was 2, and then again last year when he was 3. Both times he wore his tuxedo on formal night, dressed nice the other nights and was just fine at dinner. We also ate at the late seating.

This February will be our son's third cruise, and the first one with our daugther (who will be a little less than a year old). Our son first came with us when he was 2, and then again last year when he was 3. Both times he wore his tuxedo on formal night, dressed nice the other nights and was just fine at dinner. We also ate at the late seating.

Nice. :)

I think having a boy in a tux at that age is a good start to a well dressed man. The mothers of daughters thank you. :D

I will be taking my grandson on his first cruise in the summer of 2009 after he turns 5, and I plan on taking him to the dining room everynight, especially for formal night! It will be just he and I so we will be getting a tux and doing the whole formal thing!! To the OP, you take your little one to dinner just like you would at just about any restaurant! I think that age is perfect to introduce them to dinner on a cruise!!:) :)

Thanks for all the great replies. My DD is pretty well behaved so I don't think that will be an issue and she has already bugged me about new dresses for the cruise. I too have had many drunk tablemates hitting on anything that breathes and smells sweet so I was a little worried about having her around that element but I guess the earlier seating won't be quite as bad. I don't know if I missed it or not but is there a seperate kids menu? Thanks again!!

Kyle

This may be a stupid question, but do people bring their small children to the dining room for dinner? This is my 4th cruise but first with the kiddo and until now we have always had late seating and I don't recall seeing too many children in the dining room. I guess they have childrens menus available as well? Do they usually sit you with other families with smaller children? Thanks in advance.

Kyle

Don't even think twice about taking the kiddo. If someone doesn't like it give them directions to the buffet line

Kyle

yes they do.. we had a 8:30 sitting and saw kids... didn't bother us a bit as we were paying attention to what was going on at our table.. not other tables:)

We traveled with my 4 yro niece and she was great at dinner. Kind of amazing considering the late seating. On the one occassion she was having a bad night they just went to the buffet instead.

There are kids items available in the dining room. Standard kid fair as I recall - chicken fingers, hotdogs etc...

Have fun!

DJ

My now 9 y/o has been cruising and dining with us since she was 4. Have never had a problem, and knowing her, didn't expect one.

Yes, there is a childs menu, but we only used it as a backup on her first cruise. We'd order a meal, with a backup of chicken fingers.

2nd cruise at the age of 5, she was just ordering off the adult menu.

We have always had early seating.

And we LOVE having her there with us!

We don't have young kids and have never seen them at late seating but a friend of ours took her kids to the late seating and they were very upset because they missed a lot of the children's activities by going to dinner that late. I would suggest you do the early seating so they can go play with their "friends" for awhile later before bed.

We don't have young kids and have never seen them at late seating but a friend of ours took her kids to the late seating and they were very upset because they missed a lot of the children's activities by going to dinner that late. I would suggest you do the early seating so they can go play with their "friends" for awhile later before bed.

The 5:45 PM dinner seating is ideal if your child wants to do the nighttime Camp Carnival activities which run from 7 PM to 10 PM. If you have a later seating and your child wants to eat dinner with Camp Carnival, you can drop them off on the Lido Deck several nights of the cruise - I think they serve dinner at 6 and then take the kids back to Camp Carnival at 7 PM. That way you can still make late seating dinner and let your child have fun at Camp Carnival.

Archived