buying alcohol in st. thomas

referee

we are going on the jewel dec 1 2007...one of the ports is st. thomas.it's been quite a few years since we've been there.i will be purchasing alcohol as gifts for a number of people, and was wondering if the ship's prices are comparable to those on shore...any information would be appreciated....thanks

If you decide to buy your alcohol off the ship I highly recommend A.H. Riise. They are located down on Main St in Charlotte Amalie. They have a great selection and their prices are half of what we would pay in the states.

They will deliver to the ship and have a vast selection. If you buy on the ship you are limited to 2 ltrs per person but on St. Thomas you can buy 6 as long as one is VI rum. Also at Havensight is Dynasty and they too deliver. Some brands that Riise doesn't carry. There are a lot of 2 bottle bargains w/gift or extra discount.

The limit is greater duty free bringing it from STT. The duty is only about a buck or 2 a bottle and often they don't charge for overage but be sure to declare all your liquor and let customs make that decision. I have brought back 2X my allowance and paid nothing and recently (no stop in STT) paid $20 for 11 extra bottles. Duty is based on size and proof. If flying you can't bring back 151 proof and no boxes on the plane.

Since the port city we cruised out of is where we live, we were able to bring back 12 bottles. What a savings there was. Checked the prices at the local liquor store and everything in St. Thomas was half priced. Since we didn't have to fly, we were able to bring back all that but I doubt I could if I had to pack it in a suitcase for a flight.

The duty free limit for alcohol purchased in the US Virgin Islands for US residents is 5 bottles (5ths) per adult, plus one extra bottle if it is a Virgin Islands rum (Cruzan Rum). You can buy more, of course, but there would then be a duty. Most stores will pack it for you in a special 6 pack cardboard case with handle that you can actually check in as luggage on a flight home if you are not returning directly to the mainland. Besides the savings on the basic price & duty, there is no sales tax in the USVI, so this is always an excellent buy.

The duty free limit for alcohol purchased in the US Virgin Islands for US residents is 5 bottles (5ths) per adult, plus one extra bottle if it is a Virgin Islands rum (Cruzan Rum). You can buy more, of course, but there would then be a duty. Most stores will pack it for you in a special 6 pack cardboard case with handle that you can actually check in as luggage on a flight home if you are not returning directly to the mainland. Besides the savings on the basic price & duty, there is no sales tax in the USVI, so this is always an excellent buy.

Actually the duty isn't very much at all. I'm not sure but it's either 3% or 10%....can't remember which one, but it still is really not much at all. We brought back 12 bottles and when I checked the prices of what I paid in St. Thomas to the prices of my local liquor store here in NY, everything was either half price or more than half price less in the Virgin Islands. So we got a great deal. If we could have carried back more, we would have. :p The NYC sales tax alone is 8.375% which they add on when you purchase the alcohol.

By your screen name I would assume you live in the Virgin Islands? If you do, do the residents there pay US Income tax?

If you decide to buy your alcohol off the ship I highly recommend A.H. Riise. They are located down on Main St in Charlotte Amalie. They have a great selection and their prices are half of what we would pay in the states.

The prices at KMART are better then A.H. Rise and they will also pack them in 4 or 6 bottle boxes

The prices at KMART are better then A.H. Rise and they will also pack them in 4 or 6 bottle boxes

Yes, but will they deliver them to the ship or do you have to carry them around with you all day? Between my husband and I we had 12 bottles and there was no way we would have been able to lug around 12 heavy bottles.

How much cheaper is KMart? Maybe a dollar per bottle?

Yes, but will they deliver them to the ship or do you have to carry them around with you all day? Between my husband and I we had 12 bottles and there was no way we would have been able to lug around 12 heavy bottles.

How much cheaper is KMart? Maybe a dollar per bottle?

Depending on what you buy it could be $3 to $4 a bottle, sometimes more. We always rent a car for the day so we don't have to have them delivered. Also, it is a short walk to KMART from the Havensight dock so you could shop, walk back to the ship or take a cab back and then enjoy the rest of your day.

Depending on what you buy it could be $3 to $4 a bottle, sometimes more. We always rent a car for the day so we don't have to have them delivered. Also, it is a short walk to KMART from the Havensight dock so you could shop, walk back to the ship or take a cab back and then enjoy the rest of your day.

So you mean a 1 ltr bottle of Absolute costs $3 of 4 at KMart? Somehow I find that very hard to believe. I paid $9.95 in Riise. Maybe it would be $7 or 8 in Kmart but I highly doubt 3 or 4.

A lot of ppl don't rent cars so they would need to have it delivered to the ship. We took a tour with Sunny Liston and there was no way we could have lugged all those bottles. Riise also has a store in Havensight.

Whichever store, the prices are still a whole lot cheaper than here in the states.

So you mean a 1 ltr bottle of Absolute costs $3 of 4 at KMart? Somehow I find that very hard to believe. I paid $9.95 in Riise. Maybe it would be $7 or 8 in Kmart but I highly doubt 3 or 4.

A lot of ppl don't rent cars so they would need to have it delivered to the ship. We took a tour with Sunny Liston and there was no way we could have lugged all those bottles. Riise also has a store in Havensight.

Whichever store, the prices are still a whole lot cheaper than here in the states.

I meant $3 or $4 less a bottle - not a bottle for $3 or $4.

Most stores will pack it for you in a special 6 pack cardboard case with handle that you can actually check in as luggage on a flight home if you are not returning directly to the mainland. Besides the savings on the basic price & duty, there is no sales tax in the USVI, so this is always an excellent buy

I've read on another post--I believe in the cruise reveiws-that the airline didn NOT let them check the boxed booze as luggage:( , and they had to distribute it in their luggage, w only two bottles per bag (one of which broke in transit):mad: . Of course, with the new regulations, you cannot carry it on, either.....Anyone have more experienc w this?:confused:

"Most stores will pack it for you in a special 6 pack cardboard case with handle that you can actually check in as luggage on a flight home if you are not returning directly to the mainland. "

I've read on another post--I believe in the cruise reveiws-that the airline didn NOT let them check the boxed booze as luggage:( , and they had to distribute it in their luggage, w only two bottles per bag (one of which broke in transit):mad: . Of course, with the new regulations, you cannot carry it on, either.....Anyone have more experienc w this?:confused:

If you consider carrying the boxes from Kmart to pier and cabin or pay for a cab back to the pier there is no saving shopping there. After 40+ years visiting STT I shop at Riise and Dynasty at Havensight and let them deliver everything to the ship. I have shopped at Kmart before and their selection isn't as good and very little difference in price. Usually less than a $ and some items were actually more and they don't offer 2 bottle specials with free liquor or premiums. Next cruise we will be traveling w/ 2 non drinkers so we can buy 24 bottle duty free.

If you consider carrying the boxes from Kmart to pier and cabin or pay for a cab back to the pier there is no saving shopping there. After 40+ years visiting STT I shop at Riise and Dynasty at Havensight and let them deliver everything to the ship. I have shopped at Kmart before and their selection isn't as good and very little difference in price. Usually less than a $ and some items were actually more and they don't offer 2 bottle specials with free liquor or premiums. Next cruise we will be traveling w/ 2 non drinkers so we can buy 24 bottle duty free.

24 bottles...Woo hoo!!! :p :D I also thought Riise was great. They were recommended to me by my mother who used to shop there when she took cruises back the 70s. They have been in business for over a hundred years and are quite reputable. Plus the fact that they delivered everything free of charge and we didn't have to lug anything around with us. That alone was worth it. I also heard good things about Dynasty.

"Most stores will pack it for you in a special 6 pack cardboard case with handle that you can actually check in as luggage on a flight home if you are not returning directly to the mainland. "

We just back 8/26 and Southwest would not let us check the box - we had only 2 bottles fortunately. They said it had to go into our bags.

I don't think it's worth the trouble buying booze you can get at home..with all the weight limits on luggage, breakage..but I dont' drink much. If I grab something..it would be something unique to the island

I don't think it's worth the trouble buying booze you can get at home..with all the weight limits on luggage, breakage..but I dont' drink much. If I grab something..it would be something unique to the island

The prices in St. Thomas are half of what it costs here in the states. I do agree that if you have to fly with it, you can't buy that much but we left out of the city where we live so we just took a cab home. That is why we were able to buy so much. Otherwise I wouldn't bring back more than a couple of bottles.

I know this seems like an odd suggestion but... try the supermarket of K-Mart. The stores are usually more expensive.

From what I understand KMart doesn't deliver it to the ship does it? That is why we bought it from A.H. Riise because they packed it and delivered it to the ship and we didn't have to lug it around with us. Since we bought 12 bottles, it would have been rather heavy. :eek::p

The prices in St. Thomas are half of what it costs here in the states. I do agree that if you have to fly with it, you can't buy that much but we left out of the city where we live so we just took a cab home. That is why we were able to buy so much. Otherwise I wouldn't bring back more than a couple of bottles.

Good point! Maybe I just need to move closer to a port! LOL

If by chance you are flying out of San Juan, wait till you get into that airport.

They have a duty free shop right there and you can buy .............not sure exactly how many, but we bought 2 and saw lots of airline pilots getting 4 and six bottles of booze and the prices were excellent.

They package it in a special (and cute) durable bag with a handle and you CAN carry that as carry on.

Everything you buy in St Thomas and other ports must be packed in your checked luggage.

Archived