passport on islands

Louise45

but is it required now? I'd rather not try to keep up with it on the islands. Will a driver's license do? I'd take a copy of the passport in case we run into an emergency on the island.

It is strongly suggested that you make a color photo copy of your passport (as stated in the actual passport language) when travelling. I personally take that copy with me when I depart a ship along with a photo ID and of course your boarding pass. I would not suggest taking the actual passport off the ship.

But the problem about taking a copy is that it will NOT be accepted at the airport in case you miss the ship. A copy does not do anything for you.

Personally we bring our passports with us but hope we never have to use them.

Dave

But the problem about taking a copy is that it will NOT be accepted at the airport in case you miss the ship. A copy does not do anything for you.

Personally we bring our passports with us but hope we never have to use them.

Dave

You are correct IF you miss the ship, but as for us, we always try to be back onboard at least 1 hour BEFORE the required time as advised at each port of call. I would never bring my actual passport off the ship... but thats my personal preference.

You are correct IF you miss the ship, but as for us, we always try to be back onboard at least 1 hour BEFORE the required time as advised at each port of call. I would never bring my actual passport off the ship... but thats my personal preference.

If you travel directly to foreign countries, you get used to carrying them. We bring them because sometimes things happens (Murphy's Law). We almost missed our ship Dec 6th, when we had a taxi slam broadside into my rental car. Had we missed the ship, it would have taken 3-4 days to get a replacement passport had we left them on the ship. Of course, being stuck in Cozumel would not have been too bad.:p

Dave

Archived