What's the deal???

jlhc99

Hi Everyone,

We are booked on the Summit So. Carib 2/2/08 and opted for a Sky Suite as we are 3 in total and wanted the extra space. In addition, we lucked out with one of the larger balconies.

My question is in response to other posts all over these boards about the amenities for CC being better than those offered to SS passengers - namely, this extensive room service breakfast menu offered in CC.

Can anyone who has stayed in both categories please clarify? At this point, we have paid $500 more for the 1st and 2nd in SS vs. CC and I for one would be surprised if this is just for more cabin sq. ft. :confused:

Thanks in advance for any input on this!!!!

My question is in response to other posts all over these boards about the amenities for CC being better than those offered to SS passengers - namely, this extensive room service breakfast menu offered in CC.

If there is something you want that is not on the menu, just write it in. :)

You'll see my name all over those threads....:D

My suggestion to you would be to do a search of the Celebrity forum and find the CC breakfast menu. I've seen it on here before. Print it off and bring it with you. At least that way you know what you could "pencil in" on the suite breakfast menu.

Your butler will probably ensure that everything that you write in is ready and delivered to your cabin the following morning.

I don't think you should HAVE to write things in on the breakfast menu and that they should just offer the suite guests the same menu but....oh well...

I would ask your butler first, when you meet him/her, to get you copies of the CC breakfast menu and see what they say. If the answer is no...then write in your additions. If you have a good butler they will get the CC breakfast menu's for you.

Peter

Suites include all cc ameneties in additon to suite ameneties not available for cc.

Perhaps that is the case on some cruiselines, however not with Celebrity or at least, not on our sailing.

We just returned from Alaska on Infinity and stayed in RS 6134. We did not receive the extensive CC breakfast menu but a much more limited "Suite Life" breakfast menu and were asked to pencil in any additions we wanted without knowing what additions we could add. We were not given the pillow menu's to choose from or told that there were even other pillow forms if ours weren't suitable. We were not given complementary fresh flowers (I ordered my own) and lastly, we were not offered "VIP invitations to events".

I feel like I'm beating a dead horse here, but I just feel that when you are paying thousands of dollars more (we ended up paying over $1000/day for our suite, our choice to do so) you would think that the cruiseline would offer you ALL of the perks offered to other passengers?!?

Peter

I agree Peter/Dan, I thought there was at least one bouquet of fresh flowers in the RS. I thought I read that somewhere. I also thought RS/CS pax got a bottle of some kind of bubbly vs. a glass of it. Was that so?

Just out of curiosity, what kind of pillows were on the bed? I would expect a suite to already have the best like a goose down that you find for 200 bucks at Macy's. How was the mattress?

I'm seriously considering upgrading to an RS from a CS and now I'm thinking twice. You were in the 2nd highest category suite, how could you not get any special invites? Not even a cocktail party with the captain? I used to get those even on HAL, whose suite amenities I'm highly critical of.

:D There are about 3 or 4 threads going on this subject and I'm jumping from one to the other...

Please don't get me wrong...my cruise certainly wasn't ruined by the lack of waffles, flowers or special invites.

The entire point that I was attempting to make from the begining was that a suite guest SHOULDN'T have to write in breakfast items, they should just be offered them. Suite guests SHOULDN'T have to ask for pillow menus ( I loved the pillows, Dan hated them. The bed was SUPER comfy!)

PS, RS, SS guest should be offered/given all of the same perks as everyone else, if not more purely based on the price of their cruise.

I chalk a lot of this up to the fact that from what I've heard on these threads, we had a lousey butler. What is the difference between me being force to write in my choices on a breakfast menu or the butler just getting my the proper menu???

Anyway....like I said on the other thread, I feel like I'm beating a dead horse now.

If anyone want's info on Infinity or Alaska or a RS, feel free to ask.

Peter

Peter, something was up with your RS cruise because I've been in Royal Suites on Infinity, Summit, Millennium and Constellation and I received fresh flowers, a rather large fresh fruit basket, champagne, a big box of chocolates, a pillow menu, and more invitations to ship tours and events that I couldn't take them all. Did you ever ask why you didn't get all these things?

Peter, something was up with your RS cruise because I've been in Royal Suites on Infinity, Summit, Millennium and Constellation and I received fresh flowers, a rather large fresh fruit basket, champagne, a big box of chocolates, a pillow menu, and more invitations to ship tours and events that I couldn't take them all. Did you ever ask why you didn't get all these things?

I think one of Peter's points is that it is hard to know what indeed IS included - so how you could ask for something you don't know exists?

i don't need a 'menu', I just ask. We have never been 'turned down' for any reasonable request. If I don't feel like going through the 20 extra seconds to 'pencil it in', I just ask the butler. They have always been right on top of things.

Geez!, ask and you shall receive, it's that simple.

Enjoy your cruise.

It actually looks like they removed the flowers from the perks in the suites...more corporate meddling. However they still remain a perk for CC cabins.

As for knowing what you get. The X website has all the info you need including room sizes and ammenities for the specific cabins.

For the question on the prices and sizes comparing CC with a SS. The SS is MUCH larger than the standard CC cabin. It has a full bath, not just a shower and more storage. So yes there is a considerable difference in price, however if you are cabin rats it is worth the higher price.

I also agree that any 'reasonable' request to the butler or even cabin attendant will almost lways be granted, at least in my experience.

Sometimes things get lost in the shift form cruise to cruise. Its not a common thing, but with the small turnover time, sometimes a bottle of bubbly, an invitation, or bonvoyage gift may get lost in the confusion. All most all of the time the matters are resolved in a short period of time.

Just ask. bottom line. Most are afraid to ask questions.

As for the difference in the room service menus, There really isn't that much of a difference with the exception of the smoothie, which you can just write in.

Dave:eek:

BTW: your status as a Captains club member also has some effect.

Some people don't like to ask for things that are not readily offered. It makes them feel like they are being "difficult". At the prices people pay for the privilige of staying in a suite, nobody should have to ASK for anything that it is their right to receive -- it should all be provided without a question...

:D There are about 3 or 4 threads going on this subject and I'm jumping from one to the other...

Please don't get me wrong...my cruise certainly wasn't ruined by the lack of waffles, flowers or special invites.

The entire point that I was attempting to make from the begining was that a suite guest SHOULDN'T have to write in breakfast items, they should just be offered them. Suite guests SHOULDN'T have to ask for pillow menus ( I loved the pillows, Dan hated them. The bed was SUPER comfy!)

PS, RS, SS guest should be offered/given all of the same perks as everyone else, if not more purely based on the price of their cruise.

I chalk a lot of this up to the fact that from what I've heard on these threads, we had a lousey butler. What is the difference between me being force to write in my choices on a breakfast menu or the butler just getting my the proper menu???

Anyway....like I said on the other thread, I feel like I'm beating a dead horse now.

If anyone want's info on Infinity or Alaska or a RS, feel free to ask.

Peter

Just a quick observation: If you are willing to pay $1000.00/day, why don't you cruise with Crystal cruises or any other in the same category? Then you will get everything you were expecting from RS on X.

At the prices people pay for the privilige of staying in a suite, nobody should have to ASK for anything that it is their right to receive -- it should all be provided without a question...

In my mind, I think very little of the price you pay has to do with amenities like flowers, menus, and a bottle of champagne vs a glass, or if you get shampoo and conditioner or shampoo that has conditioner in it .

The price, generally, is all about the amount of space and some of the other things that go along with the space (I'll take a bigger bathroom with a shower and tub over some flowers anytime!).

In my mind, I think very little of the price you pay has to do with amenities like flowers, menus, and a bottle of champagne vs a glass, or if you get shampoo and conditioner or shampoo that has conditioner in it .

The price, generally, is all about the amount of space and some of the other things that go along with the space (I'll take a bigger bathroom with a shower and tub over some flowers anytime!).

That is fine, if the policy is that they choose not to extend CC amenities to suite guests (stupid policy, but who am I to judge...). What I don't like, though, is that they make it so that suite guests CAN get what the CC guests get - they just have to act like a total pain-in-the-tush in order to get it...

Honestly, I don't believe in asking for "special" treatment. It goes against my grain and I won't do it. I don't order off the menu, I don't request freebies, and I don't ask for rules to be waived for me (for the most part). If I miss out because of this personality trait, so be it... It would seem that part of the suite experience is designed around demanding special treatment. I would think twice about choosing a suite for that reason alone. That just ain't me! Some people enjoy bossing others around -- to me, that would be a NIGHTMARE.

Now demanding something and getting it would be.

The few times I have been in a suite have been no different than when I have been in CC class as far as asking for things.

When the cabin steward or the butler introduces themselves the following things are staples to us and asked for immediately.

1. we ask to have our things pressed.

2. we ask to have our shoes shined.

3. we ask for down pillows and an extra pillow.

4. we ask for both red and white wine glasses.

Personally I don't see why someone in a cat.12 inside room couldn't do the same.

Dave:eek:

BTW: I believe that part of the process of learning IS asking questions. There is no shame in looking for information.

I don't think asking for anything is special treatment....

If you are given one room-service menu and you write another item in, that counts as asking for special treatment. In my book, at least. I'm neurotic...

OK... Let's give that poor horse a few more whacks. Options are only known if they are offered. Suites should be EXPRESSLY offered every option; the cruiser shouldn't have to guess what may or may not be available. It shouldn't be dependent upon the quality/mood of the butler. If you're willing to spend the $$$ for a suite, you should receive ALL the amenities available to any cabins, it shouldn't mean you get less OR that you have to jump cruise lines (although I'm itching to try Silversea!). And, lets face it, if you want to call yourself a "Premium" Cruise Line (as X does), a little refinement should be employed. No one thinks it's the end of the world to write in breakfast items (assuming you've done the research to discover your options) - it's just...not what it should be.:rolleyes:

The CC breakfast menu is very extensive, MUCH more extensive than the suite menu. Peter's right. Find a copy on these boards or at Cruiseclues.com, print it out and use it - you will have to write in your selections.

Plastic flowers (not fresh except on the front door) for suites. Bottle of Champagne. Butler. The "opportunity" to book private portrait sitting or an in cabin massage. Priority dis/embarkation (CC & suites). Priority tenders (CC & suites). Priority luggage delivery (CC & suites; ours arrived late in a CS, no biggie). Pillow menu (CC, you can always ASK the butler). Am I missing anything? X seems to feel that the physical suite/sq footage is the amenity for a suite.

Oh yeah..."Special Invitations". Previous cruisers get the best deal in this instance, but... My DH and I received invites from the moment we entered the cabin (CS). A cocktail party hosted by the Captain and his officers. Sounds nice. It was hilarious! The cocktail party was scheduled so that it gave early seating diners a chance to finish their meal and late seating diners (like us) a chance to have cocktails before dinner. We arrived about 20 minutes before dinner. There was a receiving line. The Captain looked Very grim (angry even), a (VERY desperate and frightened looking) woman was standing next to him (Hotel Manager or something, I can't remember), she took both my hands in both of hers, introduced me to the Captain (I received an impressive glare from what I think is a normally pleasant man), and held on to me. I gently pried my hands loose and watched my husband get a similar treatment. We turned to face the room and attempted to walk away...we were IMMEDIATELY swarmed (honestly) by ladies and gentlemen in white uniforms and several waiters. The reason for the strange (and strained) greeting and the swarm became obvious. Aside from one quiet couple seated alone in the corner, we were the only passengers who had come (they were expecting around 50)! While we were the undisputed belles of the ball, the poor woman officer standing next to the Captain was quietly reamed by him and then he,...well...left. That was only about 2 days into a 2 week cruise.

The next invite was to tea with the Captain and some of his officers in the specialty restaurant. This time - no Captain, and we were the ONLY passengers who showed (they were expecting 60!:eek:) We had a couple of hours of uproarious laughter with officers/staff/waiters/chefs. The remaining days of the cruise allowed us to share a private joke with all those who knew. Some of the wait staff simply heard about it and laughed about it with us. Heaven help me but I REALLY hope we get some of those invites on our next cruise. If you get invited to anything - GO! One way or the other you'll have a very nice time. Looking back, I think the extra $$$ was worth it just for those invites:D:D...and the CS windows! Ahhhhhh.

Denise

Perhaps that is the case on some cruiselines, however not with Celebrity or at least, not on our sailing.

We just returned from Alaska on Infinity and stayed in RS 6134. We did not receive the extensive CC breakfast menu but a much more limited "Suite Life" breakfast menu and were asked to pencil in any additions we wanted without knowing what additions we could add. We were not given the pillow menu's to choose from or told that there were even other pillow forms if ours weren't suitable. We were not given complementary fresh flowers (I ordered my own) and lastly, we were not offered "VIP invitations to events".

I feel like I'm beating a dead horse here, but I just feel that when you are paying thousands of dollars more (we ended up paying over $1000/day for our suite, our choice to do so) you would think that the cruiseline would offer you ALL of the perks offered to other passengers?!?

Peter

I amm confused. Isn't "RS" a Royal Suite and the only thing bigger the PH? So, wouldn't the Royal Suite get the better breakfast menu over Consierge Service (is that CC?). It will be my first time on Celebrity.

I wish you would post this on the HAL website. I tried to make this comment but got shot down regarding how great the Neptune Lounge is. On HAL, even in an inside you usually get a bath tub, you get a fruit basket - and every day if you eat it, bath robes, spa products, same breakfast and all day menu, free shoe shine.) Suite gets do get free laundry and flowers.

I am getting confused trying to figure out what I might get in a certain class cabin on Celebrity. One thing I can figure out is that on Century the CC cabins are the same size as the 2A's. Can one get their shoes shine if they are not in a suite?

Is that good for any class cabin? Can you write in "cheese platter"? I do this all the time on HAL.

That has nothing to do with "writing in". You can just order a cheese platter from room service (either by calling or by ordering on the TV). Writing in is for breakfast only. You write your order the night before and hang it on your door. The food magically appears the next morning at whatever time you selected...

If you are given one room-service menu and you write another item in, that counts as asking for special treatment. In my book, at least. I'm neurotic...

Drew, did you ever think that perhaps you would have a more enjoyable trip if

you were willing to politely ask for things that you believe to be missing.

We have had cruises on a variety of X ships in which we stayed in CC or a suite. Our experience has been that the butler makes all the difference. As in most service industries, it is not the service but the Quality of the service that is important.

Our butler, Enrikee, on the Summit in December, 2006, was truly exceptional.. We had done our homework, and knew full well what we were entitled to. So, when there was no pillow menu, we merely reminded him. Leaving a bowl of apples, oranges, etc. is not to our liking...we don't eat that type of fruit. So, we asked if there was anything that we could substitue. If he had given us a negative response, we would have politely asked him to not leave the fruit bowl. However, he did leave tropical fruit instead for which we expressed our gratitude.

I just cannot understand your reluctance to make a polite request. All they can do is say "it's not possible." You have to be willing to accept No for an answer sometimes.

Options are only known if they are offered. Suites should be EXPRESSLY offered every option; the cruiser shouldn't have to guess what may or may not be available.

Not true. Isn't that the WHOLE point of cruise critic? To get the 'inside track', the 'experienced information'. You heard it here first folks Ask and ye shall receive!

As for being 'demanding' or overbearing by asking for something that is not specifically 'written down' , well, part of it has to do with the way you ask, I guess. In my experience, it has always been approached with a 'wink and a smile', and a cheerful 'no problem' from whoever I asked (butler, cabin steward, waiter, or anyone else).

I guess you cruise your way, and I'll cruise mine, but for those who can tune out the 'noise' about 'which is better, cc or suite', and just ask for what they want, they will have a wonderful cruise experience. Others will obsess over the menu they didnt get, and anything else they didn't get that they may have gotten because they wouldn't ask. :eek:

Originally Posted by CatServants viewpost.gif

Options are only known if they are offered. Suites should be EXPRESSLY offered every option; the cruiser shouldn't have to guess what may or may not be available.

Not true. Isn't that the WHOLE point of cruise critic? To get the 'inside track', the 'experienced information'. You heard it here first folks Ask and ye shall receive!

I think you are totally missing the point. Sure, those who visit cruise critic are the 'informed' ones. But do you know what percentage that is compared to the total number of cruisers? Very, very, very small. Cat Servant's point was that you shouldn't have to get the "inside track" from third party sources like CC - the cruise line should volunteer the information about what suite passengers are entitled to. I agree.

John

Archived