Just spoke to my friend in Belize City

gail811

He said the winds are picking up, but he is on higher ground and safe for the moment. He moved his family to the mountains (Orange Walk) yesterday and went back to the city to help with search and rescue if needed. He is monitoring the national radio station. He will update as often as he can, and when the sun comes up he will have a better idea of damage in the area. There is a three hour time difference from me on the east coast.

He said the winds are picking up, but he is on higher ground and safe for the moment. He moved his family to the mountains (Orange Walk) yesterday and went back to the city to help with search and rescue if needed. He is monitoring the national radio station. He will update as often as he can, and when the sun comes up he will have a better idea of damage in the area. There is a three hour time difference from me on the east coast.

There is only a 1 hour time difference on the east coast. I too am awaiting word from an aquaintance on the outcome after "Dean".

gail811, we have some friends that live in Belize. I received an email from them last night saying that they were cutting communication until after the storm passed. The last I was told, the eye of the storm was going to be approx 50 miles north of their location...(and they live about 1/4 mile from the sea wall). We haven't heard from them....do you know how badly Belize was hit? Specifically Corozal?

I hope your friend and his family are alright. Please keep us posted if you hear anything. Thanks!

Just talked to my friend. He was trying to get to Corozal to help some friends. They have no power, no water, and most importantly, NO CASUALTIES! He said you can tune into the local radio station there:

http://www.lovefm.com/

You may be able to get some more info there. Good luck! I am breathing a big sigh of relief, but my heart is breaking for those in Majahual!

Thank you for the info gail811! I've passed it on to everyone that's waiting to hear from them.

I take it there's bad news for Majahual? I haven't heard much about anything......I was even searching and not finding much info. :(

HURRICANE DEAN SPARES BELIZE:

Hurricane Crosses Belize Causing Little Damage

BELIZE CITY, Belize, August 21, 2007 – Hurricane Dean made landfall in

southern Mexico early on Tuesday morning. The southern edge of the of the

category 5 hurricane passed through Belize’s northern region, bringing

heavy rains, local flooding and large waves along the coast.

The government of Belize is currently assessing the full effects of the

hurricane.

With the exception of the Northern Corozal district, early estimates and

initial hotel reports indicate minimal damage in Orange Walk, San Pedro and

Caye Caulker. There was no damage sustained in Belize City, western and

southern Belize and hotels and businesses in these areas are open and

operational.

The country of Belize was placed on hurricane watch yesterday by Belize’s

National Emergency Organization as the storm weaved westward through the Caribbean. In responding to the forecast, the Belize government took the necessary precautions to ensure the safety of its visitors and

citizens. As a result of the high level of preparedness, residents and

tourists were able to effectively respond to the threats caused by the

hurricane.

[i got this in an unsolicited email sent to me by the BTB, but I thought it might cheer up others as well.]

driftwood, thank you for posting that. I'm happy that most of Belize came through with minimal damage. I wish the story had more information about the Northern Corozal district though....that's where our friend's are located. :( Hopefully they have minimal damage as well!

I would happily provide more information if I could, and I hope all is well with your friends. From my own not inconsiderable experience with surviving hurricanes I would suspect that it is very difficult to get information transfered from any place in the district, even though they may have only a few lines down--and if there is housing damage or a food and water supply concern, everything else moves to the back burner immediately. The fact that so much of the infrastructure is intact in both Belize and Mexico will certainly speed the healing process.

Yes I hope everyone is OK. Saw they evacuated Ambergris Caye and Caye Caulker. I was just in Ambergris Caye Aug. 11-14. Sure got lucky! Please keep the board updated, thanks.

Curtis, by the Grace of God, Hurricane Dean, although lashing our northern areas, which included the Corozal and Orange Walk districts, and Ambergris Caye and Caye Caulker, caused no injuries or loss of life, and little physical damage, other than a few bits of roofs blown off some homes, and a few downed power lines, and trees. The emergency organization here, NEMO (National Emergency Organization) went into full gear well before the hurricane came near us, and was fully active during Dean's visit, and is highly active now, after the passage of the hurricane. There were prompt and well organized evacuations of the islands and seashore areas, and hundreds of secure buildings on higher ground were used to shelter people. The authorities here are reporting little chance of much flooding, other than some water breaking past the shores, and a little over riverbanks. A national local radio, telecommunications, and road transportation system kicked in to good value. There is complete contact among the population, and other interrupted services are being brought back to normal swiftly. Tourists are allready pouring back into the island areas and coastal hotels, and land, air and sea transportation are running steadily. Belize will be more than ready to resume cruise activity for the coming week (we expect visits on Tuesday and Thursday of next week), with the cruise terminal operating fully and efficiently. Belize is upbeat, and the weather looks to be fantastic, so COME ON DOWN!!!!

Regards,

Major Tom, Belize

I would feel so much better if I knew for sure that ships are still scheduled to dock in Belize next week. Everything I read seems to indicate cruise lines are still avoiding it. Anyone know anything more than I do?

I think the local Belizians feel things are ready for cruise ships, but it solely up to the cruiseline whether or not they will make Belize a port of call. Cruiselines are still acessing and will update this info on their websites, or call your TA for additional assistance regarding itinerary changes.

If only I had one! That's why I spend so much time looking around these boards for info.

I have many clients that feel a travel agent is worth their weight in gold, but have also lost many to the internet...but then they return when they have no one to get help from if needed.

I always tell potential clients that A well traveled TA is a valuable asset in their pocket not only for possibly lower costs (and not always), but also as a liason in the event they get in a situation they need guidance or intervening on from their TA.

TA's have come and gone since I have been in business, but I for one have stuck it out as I love to assist others when possible and it is not just for the income (or lack of compared to earlier years !).

Here is a link to a local news station. My friend does not sound happy with the pace of the government in offering assistance. I am sure if the ships are not stopping in Belize it will further hurt those that depend on that money for their living. I hope things turn around quickly and ships are able to resume stops there soon!

http://www.7newsbelize.com/

Curtis, by the Grace of God, Hurricane Dean, although lashing our northern areas, which included the Corozal and Orange Walk districts, and Ambergris Caye and Caye Caulker, caused no injuries or loss of life, and little physical damage, other than a few bits of roofs blown off some homes, and a few downed power lines, and trees. The emergency organization here, NEMO (National Emergency Organization) went into full gear well before the hurricane came near us, and was fully active during Dean's visit, and is highly active now, after the passage of the hurricane. There were prompt and well organized evacuations of the islands and seashore areas, and hundreds of secure buildings on higher ground were used to shelter people. The authorities here are reporting little chance of much flooding, other than some water breaking past the shores, and a little over riverbanks. A national local radio, telecommunications, and road transportation system kicked in to good value. There is complete contact among the population, and other interrupted services are being brought back to normal swiftly. Tourists are allready pouring back into the island areas and coastal hotels, and land, air and sea transportation are running steadily. Belize will be more than ready to resume cruise activity for the coming week (we expect visits on Tuesday and Thursday of next week), with the cruise terminal operating fully and efficiently. Belize is upbeat, and the weather looks to be fantastic, so COME ON DOWN!!!!

Regards,

Major Tom, Belize

As the affected areas are well to the north of Belize City, who has suggested that cruise shipping has backed off Belize City as a port of call?

Archived