oceana,sept 1st

poshscot

anyone going on this one ?never been p and o before usually royal caribbean ,we are very nervous to what we will get compared to rci, thoughts anyone ?

Well you get a bigggggg ship, and a bed room called a cabin. You go and sail on the big sea.:D:D:D

Do not go on the ship with any preexisting thoughts approach it as if it were your cruise and enjoy it for what it is. If you are constantly thinking 'how does it compare with RC' you will be disappointed either with Oceana or with your cruises with RC.

Although I have not been on RC I understand that P&O are a little more formal, 95% will wear DJ's on formal night and very few people will wear jeans in the dining room in the evening.

There will be more brits. Therefore the food will be geared that way. (Whatever that means)

You will have a great time.

:)Happy Cruising:)

:cool:

Dai

hi dai ,not bothered about dressing up as we prefer to get suited and booted ,thats one thing we didnt like about rci,we think they are getting a bit too relaxed.so if everyone is suited up we shall be pleased.we just hope the standard of service and food are as good as rci.We quite like the american ways ,(ie) moneys worth and good service.and a clean ship?;) ;)

An Oceana 3-day weekender was our first cruise. It had the automatic advantage of getting us membership of the Portunus Club. This gave us a 5% discount on our onboard spend on the next cruise. That raised our OBC to almost £700!

For our weekender there had been a mistake and we got a £100 OBC for those 3-days too. Little touches like that mean you don't feel that you are being ripped off on excursions and the like.

Memories are fading about the ship and that weekend so I think everything was fine. The only thing we didn't really like was our fellow passengers, but that could cut both ways :)

For a Southampton based weekender you will get a number of locals taking advantage of last minute cheap booze-cruise type offers. Unlike an American ship there was a pub with wide-screen TV and wall to wall football. Newcastle Brown flowed freely and I don't think some of the passengers even took the sea air.:D

We quite like the american ways ,(ie) moneys worth and good service.and a clean ship?;) ;)

On Constellation monies worth was lacking what with overpriced tours, 15% automatic gratuties on all drinks, and almost total failure to clean the upper decks for days on end.

As for service, we asked for Carlsberg, she brought Grolsch - couldn't understand my accent. Then I had to open the bottles as she was not familiar with the cork screw!

Poshcot... do you mean the Oriana? I know this is going on the Iberian Sejourn on 1st September next week in fact but cannot find anything about Oceana. My parents are going on this one(Oriana) so thats how I know;). I have been on Oceana and Oriana, and Royal caribbean so I will hopefully be able to help, a little at least. If it is Oceana then this is more like RCI ships (similar to Legend of Seas I thought... quite glitzy, modern, gold and glass)... it used to be Ocean Princess until 2004 so has all the princess trademarks. The cabins are very nice and comfortable, but rather smallish but not really much smaller than RCI standard cabin. The waiting staff are all from India apart from a few from the Phillipines, where as RCI have all worls nationalities. Very attentive and professional staff. The food is very good, though now I beleive Oceana is plated but heard good reports, rather than silver service as it was when I was on 2 years ago(still silver service on Oriana). All in all, a beautiful ship with gorgeous atrium (palm trees and water features etc).

If it is ther Oriana, then she is also beautiful but quite different. She doesnt seem quite as big and is very easy to navigate for a first cruiser. It is more tradaitional and very elegant with lots of rich fabrics and leather. It has recently had a 13 million pound refurbishment so should be even more fantastic, with all new beds, covers, curtains, carpets etc.You barely sit down and are served by the waiter for drinks.

I have also been on Disney cruise lines. I cannot honestly say I prefer one over the other apart from the service on Disney is more one to one but the food on all three lines was comparable I think, whether US cruises or UK (been UK and US with RCI) . I think you might notice that there isnt a caribbean band playing in all weathers by the poolside like RCI, which I quite like, and the entrtainment I have found quite good on all. I hope this helps. (I am 38 years old by the way) I think whichever ship you pick you will be more than happy. Have a wonderful cruise. Whgichever P & O cruise you go on, the formal nights are just that, formal. Most men where a tux, where as most where suit and tie on RCI. Women also where the long dresses. I basically to be honest where exactly the same sort of attire on RCI as I would on P & O.... I where on a normal night as I would if I went to dinner in a nice restaurant. Thats basically how it is unless you eat at the buffet which is more relaxed. You feel you want to dress smart on P & O. Hollyanna:)

Well Hollyanna,

I am not sure where you are looking, but Oceana will leave on Saturday September 1st on E722 Spirit of the Mediterranean.

One reason I know it leaves on the 1st is cos we get off that day:(.

Now come on, keep up and pay attention. There will be a test at the end on the week:eek:

Gan Canny Pet

:)Happy Cruising:)

:cool:

Dai

ps I agree with all of your last paragraph. Can not speak about the two ships YET, but after November Well.............................:D

Dai - I unfortunately have no 2007 brichure and on-line it no longer mentions cruises before 15th September on the P & O site for oceana..... on the bright side though, I did harp on about Oceana a bit more than Oriana so should be more help to Poshcot!I will try revise before the next test at the end of the week.Have a good time yourself in the preceeding week!:) Hollyanna

Archived