Love the Caribbean, would I like the W. Coast

k2

I don't know where you ate, but I have been to all of those ports, and been all over Mexico for that matter, and never ever got sick. And I feel much safer in Mexico than I do in Jamaica. To each his own, but you need to give your opinion. Not something you claim to be fact and is entirely false. Not everyone will get sick, and most of the tourisy restaurants are very safe.

Well said Fitz. I completely agree. I never have gotten sick from what I ate there. Last year, when we we at our timeshare for a week in Puerto Vallarta, I actually mentioned to DW that if she were there with girlfriends at 11:00 at night, I would not be concerned for their safety. We never felt threatened in PV, Mazatlan, or Cabo.

A dear friend of ours was murdered in Mazatlan for the $20.00 he had in his wallet. He was 19 and had a wonderful future ahead of him. Another friend of ours contracted Hepatitis from eating in a restaurant in PV. I could tell countless horror stories of people I know who ended up with Montezuma's Revenge in Mexico. A friend of mine is still suffering the effects of a trip she took 2 years ago and has been hospitalized. Several Canadians have been murdered in Mexico in the last few years and the corrupt goverment has tried to cover it up. Sorry, we will NEVER, EVER go back to Mexico - East or West Coast.

A dear friend of ours was murdered in Mazatlan for the $20.00 he had in his wallet. He was 19 and had a wonderful future ahead of him. Another friend of ours contracted Hepatitis from eating in a restaurant in PV. I could tell countless horror stories of people I know who ended up with Montezuma's Revenge in Mexico. A friend of mine is still suffering the effects of a trip she took 2 years ago and has been hospitalized. Several Canadians have been murdered in Mexico in the last few years and the corrupt goverment has tried to cover it up. Sorry, we will NEVER, EVER go back to Mexico - East or West Coast.

And guess what? That all happens in the U.S. and Canada too. Not just Mexico. And can you imagine the horror stories in Jamaica?

I'm not trying to start an argument but do you think that it's fair to paint an entire country with such a broad brush? Does Canada not have murders? Are you telling me that no one has ever become ill after eating at some establishment in Canada? It's just not fair to label an entire country like that.

And we had a 79 year old man assaulted by a panhandler in a church in Vancouver, because the panhandler wanted more money - crime is everywhere! In hoity toity West Vancouver (I can say that because I work there), there was a hepatitis A outbreak at Capers because one of the food handlers had it. Stay in the tourist restaurants, maybe stick to wine and beer instead of foo foo drinks, avoid ice, and you should be fine.

My entire family has been vaccinated against Hep A, as you can get that ANYWHERE!

I am sure the Mexican government isn't the only one that has tried to cover things up...:rolleyes:

And we had a 79 year old man assaulted by a panhandler in a church in Vancouver, because the panhandler wanted more money - crime is everywhere! In hoity toity West Vancouver (I can say that because I work there), there was a hepatitis A outbreak at Capers because one of the food handlers had it. Stay in the tourist restaurants, maybe stick to wine and beer instead of foo foo drinks, avoid ice, and you should be fine.

My entire family has been vaccinated against Hep A, as you can get that ANYWHERE!

I am sure the Mexican government isn't the only one that has tried to cover things up...:rolleyes:

Hell, look at OUR Government. ;) Were the worst.

Shhh, don't tell anyone, but I think Canada's government has done that too. Gosh, even the past head of the Mounties is being investigated.:eek:

Well that does it. I am never traveling to Canada again. I now know of ONE person who got Hep A there, some old man got robbed for his wallet from a homeless person, and your government is corrupt. I better just stay home in my little hole now.

Well that does it. I am never traveling to Canada again. I now know of ONE person who got Hep A there, some old man got robbed for his wallet from a homeless person, and your government is corrupt. I better just stay home in my little hole now.

LOL!!:D

We tried the Pacific side in 04 and enjoyed the cruise - but I would not do it again. ....IMHO.....It was interesting to see PV, Mazatalan, and Cabo - but we're beach/water people and in July the water was cold.....poor snorkeling......and the water was not the beautiful blue/blues we love in the Caribbean....visibility was also limited. If you do go - I recommend taking Randi's HAppy Horses tour in mazatalan (great beach ride - it was the highlight of our cruise)

I loved our Caribbean cruise on the Jewel and I'm sure I'll love our Mexican Riviera cruise in November. It's all what you make of it while exercising as much common sense as you can manage regarding the intake of food and beverages.

If you do go - I recommend taking Randi's HAppy Horses tour in mazatalan (great beach ride - it was the highlight of our cruise)

Why, Carol, look at that!:D

I loved our Caribbean cruise on the Jewel and I'm sure I'll love our Mexican Riviera cruise in November. It's all what you make of it while exercising as much common sense as you can manage regarding the intake of food and beverages.

Why, Carol, look at that!:D

:p:p:p:p:D

You can't compare Mexico to the Caribbean. It is like comparing Tahiti to Hawaii. If you live on the West Coast you go to Mexico. We always have a great time there.

We have also been to the Caribbean and have had great times there.

It is all in what you make it!

Cabo great town(lots of gringos),Mazatalan (lots of hawkers on the beaches),PVC love it do a jeep excursion to the Sierra Madres(get away from Wal Mart) or a Zip line(lots of fun).

The important thing is be laid back your on a cruise have fun and drink lots of Margaritas and Sol Beer!;) The weather is beautiful most of the time as well !

Boo K2!!:D

I have done the Mexican Riviera twice before, and I have 3 more booked!:eek: It is cooler the first and last day, but by the middle of the first sea day, it starts to get hot. The temps will be like we had on the Mariner last year in late August. The sailing week you are talking about is the cheapest week of the summer.;)

The water isn't the same crystal blue, but there is still loads to do. I have been kayaking and waverunning in Cabo, gone horseback riding and done a city and colonial tour in Mazatlan, and have gone ziplining, mountain biking, and parasailing in PV. In November, I think we are kayaking again as I loved it so much, and going on the American's Cup Regatta in PV. The ziplining is fantastic in PV, if you are into that.

You already know how great the Mariner is, so I don't need to sell you on that. The 2 sea days at the end are relaxing, too. I like having 3 ports instead of 4.:)

Besides all this, I do know of a few wonderful people that just happen to be on this cruise....:p

LOL Carol... I feel like a kid caught with their hand in the cookie jar:eek: . Yes, I am fishing here! This will be a totally new adventure, and I do have to convince the hubby. Thanks for the info and the contact...looks like we may be in on the reunion, but no promises yet (I have some time here). Cheers to traveling adventures!!!

You can't compare Mexico to the Caribbean. It is like comparing Tahiti to Hawaii. If you live on the West Coast you go to Mexico. We always have a great time there.

We have also been to the Caribbean and have had great times there.

It is all in what you make it!

Cabo great town(lots of gringos),Mazatalan (lots of hawkers on the beaches),PVC love it do a jeep excursion to the Sierra Madres(get away from Wal Mart) or a Zip line(lots of fun).

The important thing is be laid back your on a cruise have fun and drink lots of Margaritas and Sol Beer!;) The weather is beautiful most of the time as well !

I guess you could say that if you live on the West Coast, you go to Mexico. But I prefer to go to Hawaii. But I have to say that was the most disapointing thing about our cruise to Mexico. We pull into port in Puerto Vallarta, and I go out on the balcony to see the beautiful sights, and the 1st thing I see is a Wal Mart right across from the port. Very sad!

Yes, but it is the only government I know that would call the grieving family of a 19 year old murdered boy and say, "If you don't send us $10,000 within 24 hours, the body will probably get misplaced and you won't get it back".

Come on people.

What can I expect for west coast weather end of August/beg Sept?

the west coast weather really depends on where you live. On our first cruise late Dec 04 I thought it was hot all the time, another poster on the same cruise thought it was cool. the thing is we were both right. I live at Lake Tahoe and when it gets over 80 i think its hot. this other person was from AZ so he thought 80 was cool. just depends

Yes, but it is the only government I know that would call the grieving family of a 19 year old murdered boy and say, "If you don't send us $10,000 within 24 hours, the body will probably get misplaced and you won't get it back".

Come on people.

thats bad, but what about the kid that was arrested on trumped up charges, got hauled away and sent to jail, the kids parents had to spend thousand of dollers to beat the bum rap. O sorry i mixed the country up, that happened in Davis, California not Mexico.

Come on people.

You think Mexico is the only country that could happen in, or HAS happened in? In that case, I could give you a list of many countries to stay away from. Many of which you have probably already cruised to.

My Dh loves to use his boogie board with all of the nice waves at the ports in Mexico. He was so disappointed in the Caribbean, he had his board and there were no waves. We have taken 9 cruises to Mexico and have taken land vacations in many of the ports. We always have fun in Mexico.

When I first moved out West from the East coast I was not thrilled about cruising the Mex Riv itinerary. Imagine my surprise when I first cruised this itin in 2004 on Vision and had a GREAT time! Since then, I've taken this cruise 4 times in 3 years, not including the numerous 3 nighters on the Monarch to Ensenada (which I can drive to in an hour).

I've eaten at all types of establishments-- touristy and local places- I've had drinks with ice in them and have eaten the veggies and have never gotten sick. By comparison, I did get food poisioning from a first class meal on Delta Airlines-- go figure.

the west coast weather really depends on where you live. On our first cruise late Dec 04 I thought it was hot all the time, another poster on the same cruise thought it was cool. the thing is we were both right. I live at Lake Tahoe and when it gets over 80 i think its hot. this other person was from AZ so he thought 80 was cool. just depends

I've been reading the many posts about the cooler weather in the Mexican Riviera, and was becoming quite concerned. We're booked to go on a New Years sail out of Los Angeles on the Vision. If I can expect 75 - 80 degrees, I won't be disappointed, but for some reason I get the impression that I will need long sleeves & jackets. Our family don't necessarily have to beach it, but I also don't want to bundle up either. I see you've travelled in December -- any insight for me?

I've been reading the many posts about the cooler weather in the Mexican Riviera, and was becoming quite concerned. We're booked to go on a New Years sail out of Los Angeles on the Vision. If I can expect 75 - 80 degrees, I won't be disappointed, but for some reason I get the impression that I will need long sleeves & jackets. Our family don't necessarily have to beach it, but I also don't want to bundle up either. I see you've travelled in December -- any insight for me?

Carmen, the ports will be warm.;) The day you sail out of LA and the last sea day most likely won't be warm. But, you will have a fantastic time! You are on a cruise for New Years and a great price. :D It won't be as humid in port either, at that time of year, so you'll be more comfortable. Check out each port's weather averages at that time of year. It is cooler in the Caribbean in December, too.

Yes, you would like it....but--possibly not as much as the caribbean. Depending on the time of year, the first and last day might not be your typical "pool" weather. It is a great itinerary tho and you should give it a try. Only you can decide!

Very much agree, the first and last day can be cool. We did Vision OS out of LA in '04. We really liked the itinerary, and we've done the east/west Caribbean a few times. Our daughter especially liked the cruise, she says it was by far her favorite. We liked it so much we booked a Norwegian Star 8 day, which has the added far south port of Acapulco.

We really loved Cabo San Lucas (the whale watching was tremendously enjoyable), and Puerto Vallarta. You'll have a great time!

Archived