Cooking in Cozumel

billylen

We recently went on the cooking excursion in Cozumel. Sailed on the Rhapsody of the Seas, 08-12-2007. I was looking for something a little different and this stood out so thought I would give it a try. We had a blast! We took a bus out to the Playa Mia resort where they had a newly constructed building for the cooking event with stations food prep and where we cooked the meals. There were about 40 of us and I think all of us had a blast. The chef (Luis) was a delight! His method of conducting the class (great humor and quick thinking) along with his assistants Moises, Javier and Carlito really kept the experience moving. There was also an open bar and let me tall you that many in the class took full advantage. Afterwards folks were able to continue taking advantage of the open bar and then could go to the beach and use the facilities of the resort. There was even a full buffet that was included if you wanted more food. Once we finished cooking the meal we all sat down and devoured our creations. They even served various wines with the meal. I’m glad I stumbled upon this experience.

My husband and I did this excursion in February. He was not too thrilled about it, but we had been to Cozumel several times, and I wanted to do something different. It was great. Luis was our chef, also, and he was a darling- flirting and joking, and kept all of us laughing. We still have our "chef's hat!" I would recommend this to anyone who wants to do something other than snorkel and dive.

I'm considering this one for my upcoming cruise in October. However, my DH is a picky eater -- so I was wondering what all of the food was that you cooked and if there were some "basic" foods there (he doesnt like beans, lots of vegetables, etc)

We had fish (grouper?), sauted with mango salsa. I love fish, but by husband isn't crazy about it unless it is fried catfish with slaw and hushpuppies on the side (a Tennessee thing). However, he gave it a try, and loved the fish, and at the end had a lot of fun with this excursion. They also had chicken cutlets for anyone who didn't want to do the fish. I believe the appetizer was sopa, a traditional Mexican dish that was very good, and some mild peppers that we stuffed with a corn mixture, also good, and rice pudding for dessert. It wasn't so much the food, as it was the chef, Luis, and his helpers. They made the entire process fun and entertaining. There was also plenty of drinks before, during, and after the meal, which I am sure helped! I would encourage him to do this with you, and I guarantee he will have a good time.

Sovereign of the Seas—July 2000

Grandeur of the Seas—March 2003

Adventure of the Seas—Feb 2004

Mariner of the Seas—May 2005

Rhapsody of the Seas—April 2006

Freedom of the Seas—Feb 2007

Voyager of the Seas—March 2008-- CAN”T WAIT!!

husband isn't crazy about it unless it is fried catfish with slaw and hushpuppies on the side (a Tennessee thing).

It's a Texas thang too ;) The rice pudding was served stacked with cookies that we prepared as well. They really make this experience fool proof...anf FUN!

Thanks so much for the quick replies -- I think we're gonna book it, no matter what the food -- since it seems to be more about the FUN and expeirence anyway (plus I'm sure we won't be starving from eating so much on the ship!)

thanks again :)

My wife and I did this same excursion a couple of years ago with Luis, Moises, and Javier. We had a blast. I do wish they'd change the menu at some point, as they're still cooking the exact same items. A change of pace would be more encouragement to rebook on our next visit.

The fee with RCCL is $79 per person according to the excursion website. I haven't booked it yet, but I will be in a few weeks time.

Does anyone know if it sells out quickly or if we could possibly wait to get on the ship to book it?

• 1 month later...

We did this through Carnival last March and it was great. We had a choice of chicken or fish. The margaritas flow endlessly and you need to be careful. I kind of lost a bit of the latter part of the day because of them!

The pictures were wonderful though........haha No honestly we had a great time and Luis was a lot of fun.

I'd recommend this trip for sure.

Is this excursion indoors or outdoors? i've seen pictures of people eating inside.

My understanding is that it used to be held in a tent outdoors, but the week I was there in August they had just completed a new building and the class is now inside with shared stations for cooking. (we were either the first or second class in the new facility) After the meal is finished you eat your creations at a long table. As the chef is teaching you have large flat screens to see what his hands are doing, but it is a very intimate room

...and yes, the drinks flow and flow...

a lot of fun, thanks for reminding me!

A group of 10 girls did this in November, 2006. It was THE MOST FUN!!!! We had girls with food allergies, diabetes, and other problems, and even they were able to eat what we made. If you enjoy "playing with your food" then you will love this. Even the men that were with us had a good time! We booked through Carnival - but I think the price has gone up since we did it. Well worth the money - have fun!

I experienced this excursion last Oct while sailing on the Enchantment of the Seas, it was great. The entire experience was totally different from any excursion i've ever been on. The open bar really really is open, the margaritas were great, though a little bit more potent than i'm used to. It would be great if they changed the menu as it does seem like it's been the same old same old for a while now, regardless i'd go again if i were to crusie with somebody who'd never been before. Luis is too cute & makes it so much fun. Ole:D

I was looking at this too, because I don't really feel like doing another beach thing, and I don't want to spend a ton of money. We'll do Mayan ruins in Belize, so I don't want to do more ruins.

This really sounds like a lot of fun. My husband won't want to do it (he's a restaurant manager, so being at a cooking station isn't his idea of fun) but he can go fishing. :p

Thanks for all the info - I'm thinking about it much more seriously.

Oh I would so like to do this........I will have to see if our cruise offers it. If it was just DH and I I would book it today but we are taking the 2 kids with us this time and Cozumel is one of our "try not to spend alot of money" stops because we are doing cavetubing, snorkeling, horse back riding etc at the others. So we were just going to go back to our favorite spot-Paradise Beach and eat guacamole til we can't move.....LOL:)

IThis really sounds like a lot of fun. My husband won't want to do it (he's a restaurant manager, so being at a cooking station isn't his idea of fun) but he can go fishing. :p

Thanks for all the info - I'm thinking about it much more seriously.

This is the kind of excursion that you can easily do on your own without hubby. In our group's cooking station there was me, dh and two single women (not known to each other). Believe me, we were all fast friends by the end of the day.

This is the kind of excursion that you can easily do on your own without hubby. In our group's cooking station there was me, dh and two single women (not known to each other). Believe me, we were all fast friends by the end of the day.

Do I have to book on the ship? I am on the Carnival Legend and the only Cozumel excursion is a beach trip. I do think that I had seen it posted earlier, but I was not sure about signing up for any excursions at that time. Now it's gone and I assume it's sold out. What's the name of the site? Will cabs take me there?

Thanks for the information.

Archived