Places to snorkel in St. Thomas?

morecruise4me

Having lived on St. Thomas for 3 months in 2003 as a travel RN, I discovered a fabulous place to snorkel - there is a small resort known as Secret Harbor - on the eastern end of the island. Well worth a drive up there - I got pics of starfish, barracuda, lots of blue tangs and huge parrot fish of all colors and sizes. My honey and I have already rented a car at the cruise port mall as I know my way round island and can drive on the left!! (At least I think I remember how!)

We are counting down the minutes until Triumph 9/1 sails the Eastern Carribean!!!

:cool: :cool:

Like the other poster mentioned, Coki Beach is a nice spot. The water is very clear and the sand is powdery. There are some reef rocks around the edges of the beach so watch out for those if you wearing water shoes or are barefoot.

We did a snuba tour there in January and had a great time. When ships are in port, there's a crowd on the beach itself, but get out about 40 feet from shore and you're on your own. There's crowds of small striped fish (Sorry don't know the species.) some blue tangs, and we even scared up a pretty good sized sea turtle about 15 feet down.

Additionally, when you get tired of knocking around in the water, you're practically in Coral World next door. It's an older marine park and not very big. But what they do have is very interesting and worth the $8 to get in. They have a tank full of de-barbed stingrays that is open on top. The rays are so used to people, they'll come up out of the water to see if you'll feed them. You'll get the chance too, as a Coral World employee will likely come by with a bucket full of small fish and let everybody feed them that wants to do so.

It's an $8 per person cab ride from the docks to Coki Beach and Coral world. Leave yourself at minimum an hour to get back to your ship. Won't take that long under most cases, but traffic can be slow at times.

Archived