POH Dining reservations...need them???

DREAMER7

Hey all you helpful cruise critics!!!

Need your help.

I've read alot on your tips for seeing Hawaii and need your help.

On POH.....Do we need to decide now on which specialty restaurants we want to eat dinner at each night and then be ready once we set foot on ship to make those reservations or can we wait until the night before and make a reservation for the next night?

My DH is a planner....I'm a carefree girl! What a pair we make! Celebrating 29 years tomorrow 8-25-2007!:)

Thanks for all the information.

I love this website!:)

Unless you are in a suite, you will only be able to make reservations a couple of days at a time anyway. You can certainly get a basic idea of what you want and then adjust once you're onboard. You very well may not get your first choice of times or restaurants on any given day, especially if you want to dine during the "peak" times of 6:30 to 8.

We made all our reservations the first day (we were in a suite), but ended up changing two and cancelling one entirely because we just didn't like to be so restricted. We decided to just take our chances and not worry about exactly where or when we were going to eat--Except the first and last evenings when we ate at Cagney's and wanted to have specific times and so forth.

beachchick

Can you just show up at these restaurants and take your chances. Reservations aren't required - are they?

Well...Some literature (wrongly) states that reservations are required at all the restaurants (except the dining rooms, Blue Lagoon, and, of course, buffet). Onboard, reservations are recommended, especially if you have specific restaurants and/or times you want to dine. If you're willing to wait or be told that there are no openings that evening (so you pop over to a different restaurant or the dining rooms), then absolutely go ahead and just show up. We actually did that 2 nights, but we don't care about eating early, so we showed up at 8:30. No problem either night (and they did not know we were Courtyard pax when we showed up at the desk, so that was not the reason).

As long as you're willing to be flexible and take no or maybe for an answer, you'll be fine. I'd suggest trying early or later in the evenings. Also there is one exception to the "show up and hope" thing, you MUST make reservations for Teppanyaki. There are only three limited seatings per evening, and many pax want to dine there. They have a waiting list, so even if someone did cancel their reservations, you couldn't show up and nab the seat because they'd fill in with the pax on the waiting list.

beachchick

I appreciate your information Beach Chick. We'll just make our plans ahead of time and see how it goes.

My pleasure to help if I can. Your idea sounds good.:) Here's what I suggest. Write down a schedule of your preferences. Then, decide which few nights are most important to you and make your best effort to get those reservations or the closest thing you can. For the other nights, just play it by ear, and if you get the reservation you want, wonderful; if not, go to whatever your plan B or plan C might be. Otherwise, you could spend far too much time dealing with trying to get each and every evening's reservation exactly like your plan A--and there's too much else to do and too much fun to be had to spend all day on dinner reservations, IMO.:D

Have a lovely cruise in beautiful Hawaii. It's one of our favorite places to visit.

beachchick

This is a great thread, thanks for the advice Beachchick. My fiancé and I are pretty easy going and don't mind eating late - I figure we could always have an appetizer at the buffet if we are starving. I think we might just play it by ear, too.

There is no WAY I'm waking up early on my honeymoon to make reservations!!! :eek: :D

And with that, I fully know we might not be able to get what we want. I would love to do teppanyaki, but realize we might not get it...

We do want to eat at Le Bistro, and will be getting the Romance Package so that reservation is kind of "guaranteed" right? We can make that one as soon as we board. At least, this is what I've heard.

One last question, I've heard you can make reservations while stopping by at the specific restaurant, or at main the desk, or over the phone. Does anyone know if this is true?

Thanks!

• Administrators
This is a great thread, thanks for the advice Beachchick. My fiancé and I are pretty easy going and don't mind eating late - I figure we could always have an appetizer at the buffet if we are starving. I think we might just play it by ear, too.

There is no WAY I'm waking up early on my honeymoon to make reservations!!! :eek: :D

And with that, I fully know we might not be able to get what we want. I would love to do teppanyaki, but realize we might not get it...

We do want to eat at Le Bistro, and will be getting the Romance Package so that reservation is kind of "guaranteed" right? We can make that one as soon as we board. At least, this is what I've heard.

One last question, I've heard you can make reservations while stopping by at the specific restaurant, or at main the desk, or over the phone. Does anyone know if this is true?

Thanks!

Rachielnnn, you are going to have such a marvelous honeymoon. :) We had no problems at all making our Bistro reservation (with the romance package) the day we boarded the ship, when we made reservations for that night and the next -- boom, 20 minutes after boarding 3 of 7 nights were booked. You can make reservations through any of the means you mention -- the computers are hooked together -- but the actual restaurants may or may not have anyone available to take a reservation during the hours they are closed.

The night we had sushi (luau night on Kauai) we just popped by around 6:00 and were told we'd be seated at 7:30 -- okay -- we went to the buffet and had a salad as an appetizer, then visited the Galleria, then checked out the photo gallery -- and by then it was 7:00. We had a drink at Medusa, then headed to Jasmine Garden and we were seated right on time. Flexibility is the key, and you have that, so you should anticipate a great cruise -- which will feed itself and you WILL have one! Don't underestimate the power of positive thinking -- prepare for the worst, expect the best! :)

Rachielnnn, you are going to have such a marvelous honeymoon. :) We had no problems at all making our Bistro reservation (with the romance package) the day we boarded the ship, when we made reservations for that night and the next -- boom, 20 minutes after boarding 3 of 7 nights were booked. You can make reservations through any of the means you mention -- the computers are hooked together -- but the actual restaurants may or may not have anyone available to take a reservation during the hours they are closed.

The night we had sushi (luau night on Kauai) we just popped by around 6:00 and were told we'd be seated at 7:30 -- okay -- we went to the buffet and had a salad as an appetizer, then visited the Galleria, then checked out the photo gallery -- and by then it was 7:00. We had a drink at Medusa, then headed to Jasmine Garden and we were seated right on time. Flexibility is the key, and you have that, so you should anticipate a great cruise -- which will feed itself and you WILL have one! Don't underestimate the power of positive thinking -- prepare for the worst, expect the best! :)

Thanks for your post & advice!!! I am SO excited about our trip! :D

It's funny because I'm on the POH in October and I've read the reviews... Too many of them! I was getting worried about what to "plan" for our dinners, and then I realized we are supposed to be Freestyling this time. Although I would love to try the Teppanyaki, if we can't get in I'll just go to Kobe when we get home! I made a list of my priorities, and the only restaurant I must try is Cagneys. Their menu seems to have all of my favorites. I figure with 7 nights to try, we'll get one of them. If not, again I'll make my DH take me to our local steakhouse. Even if we end up in the main dining rooms everynight, we will still be in Hawaii!

Thanks to Beachchick and MichellP for their input. You are the 2 with reviews that seem to be the most "real". I really appreciate your suggestions:)

Alecia you have the right attitude. I knew I wanted to eat at Cagneys and LeBistro (with the romance package) and I was able to do that. Maybe not the ideal times or days but I got what I wanted. I'm a buffet girl so nothing bothered me except the LeBistro reservation. I was getting frustrated cuz every morning I would try to make a reservation for the next night and it was either sold out or I'd have to take a late reservation after 9. It could be my fault for not sharing that I have the romance package when I tried to make reservations at the front desk. I finally accepted a late reservation for Sunday night (last night of cruise) and LeBistro seated us immediately when I showed her our letter that was in our stateroom and we were at least 30 minutes early. She put us at the best table in the house IMO. We had a window next to us and we could see the water flying by us as we sailed. Totally cool and romantic. The only bad thing was we didn't get to use our cake cuz we were at the luau the night of the cake party and LeBistro offered us our cake but we were stuffed and knew we couldn't take it with us since we were departing early the next morning. Its ok, my big butt really didn't need that cake anyway lol:p

One thing to add, I found the first night to be the least crowded because most people didn't have their luggage yet. I would suggest bringing a change of clothes for the first night in your carryon bag so you can change for dinner and make your most desirable restaurant reservation the minute you board the ship (Teppanyaki, Cagney's etc). Cagney's was turning people away the first night that showed up in shorts so bring that change of clothes so you aren't waiting on luggage. Our luggage showed up after 9pm.

• Administrators
It's funny because I'm on the POH in October and I've read the reviews... Too many of them! I was getting worried about what to "plan" for our dinners, and then I realized we are supposed to be Freestyling this time. Although I would love to try the Teppanyaki, if we can't get in I'll just go to Kobe when we get home! I made a list of my priorities, and the only restaurant I must try is Cagneys. Their menu seems to have all of my favorites. I figure with 7 nights to try, we'll get one of them. If not, again I'll make my DH take me to our local steakhouse. Even if we end up in the main dining rooms everynight, we will still be in Hawaii!

Thanks to Beachchick and MichellP for their input. You are the 2 with reviews that seem to be the most "real". I really appreciate your suggestions:)

With that attitude, I can't see how your trip can be anything other than marvelous! :) Mahalo for your kind comments -- Beachchick is my idol (well, on these boards, anyway!) -- she has a knack for making the most unpalatable thing she has to say not quite "taste" so bad, and a wealth of knowledge she is kind enough to offer freely to help others. I try to emulate that, and that's why I don't reply to everything -- sometimes "I dunno" and then I'm excited because I can read and learn!

Lisa, my apologies for not mentioning you. You have been very helpful also. Great advice on the extra clothes. Since we are in Honolulu for 2 days before the cruise we can plan to dress appropriately for embarkation. I usually dress in capris and a nice top the first day anyway. I want to look good for the welcome aboard photo (even though we rarely buy them)! :D

Any advice for a specialty restaurant the first night?? Another question, I plan to buy the anniversary package and I'm wondering if we can use a restaurant other than Le Bistro? We are not big on French cuisine.

Lisa, my apologies for not mentioning you. You have been very helpful also. Great advice on the extra clothes. Since we are in Honolulu for 2 days before the cruise we can plan to dress appropriately for embarkation. I usually dress in capris and a nice top the first day anyway. I want to look good for the welcome aboard photo (even though we rarely buy them)! :D

Any advice for a specialty restaurant the first night?? Another question, I plan to buy the anniversary package and I'm wondering if we can use a restaurant other than Le Bistro? We are not big on French cuisine.

I bought the embarkation photo because it had the ship, the itinerary, date etc on the postcard which was great for my photo album (even though I looked like crap):)

And unfortunately, LeBistro is the restaurant they provide and I don't think you can change that. The food was really good and just forget that its french. My DH had rack of lamb and I had chateaubriand which is just really good steak so that can be American cuisine right? We did have to upsell ($10/pp extra) but it was worth it for really good food. They also had salmon & other stuff. Go for it and I don't think you will be disappointed. Enjoy

I've been meaning to mention that we had basically the same attitude about Teppanyaki. We took it even further and decided that because we have such good teppanyaki opportunities on land (and would be going to Tanaka of Tokyo in Waikiki post cruise) that we wouldn't even try to make reservations, but hope that someone who doesn't have teppanyaki available where they live would enjoy it. Cagney's was a definite must for us. We enjoyed it (although certain dishes were "wow" while others were "not so much"; just like any restaurant). My advice is to book Cagney's for anything but the last night. They were swamped and service was quite scattered that night, and the lobster was so overcooked we sent it back and had the charge removed from our bill. The first night of the cruise, Cagney's was wonderful; mid-cruise, the food was very good, but we had a service problem and ended up ordering dinner en suite and served by our butler (wow, that still sounds so cool to me). We didn't eat at Le Bistro because the food simply wasn't to our tastes. We didn't really care for Papa's at all; although the foccacia was good. We're Chinese food snobs, but really enjoyed Jasmine. It's not Chinese, but is more Asian-fusion-Hawaiian inspired (like mac nuts and Thai sauce for the Kung Pao, rather than peanuts and traditional Kung Pao sauce; it was very good and really nice change). The peppercorn beef is made with filet mignon and was perfectly prepared.

You've definitely got the right freestyle mindset, IMO. You've got some priorities and you're willing to be flexible. I do not understand those who assume that freestyle means that every single dining venue will seat the entire 2000+ pax at once (because that's the only way that you could truly "dine when and where you want" the very second that you want to do so). It's kind of like restaurants on land. They are limited size venues, so you make reservations for the places, nights, and times which are important to you.

Enjoy your cruise and the lovely islands.:D

beachchick

Archived