POH Luau's

Favette

Yes, NCL offers a Luau as an shore excursion.

Here's the NCL press release:

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/pressroom/pressRelease.html?storyCode=PR_050307

NCL America (NCLA), in partnership with Kilohana Plantation and NH Productions, hosted a grand opening of its brand new lu'au and dinner show for the community. Lu'au Kalamaku will offer traditional Hawaiian games, arts and craft lessons, a hula show and a theatrical production. Guests will also have the opportunity to sample popular island favorite's lomi lomi salmon, poi, taro bread and k?lua pig catered by Gaylord’s Restaurant. A train ride on Kaua'i Plantation Railway or a vintage Clydesdale carriage ride through the plantation’s 35-acre estate will also be available as additional featured activities. The original storyline, which will feature an all Kaua'i cast, tells the tale of one family’s journey from Tahiti to Kaua'i. NCLA renovated and upgraded the existing carriage house at Kilohana Plantation which now includes a new pavilion structure that spans the back lawn and will have the capacity to accommodate 1,000 guests. The structure ensures the show will go on even during inclement weather. The shows for passengers will run Monday, Thursday and Saturday evenings when NCLA ships overnight in Kaua'i. $95 and 4 hours.

We attended the Luau on Kaua'i during an April cruise on the Pride of America. The luau venue appeared to be under renovation (the plantation itself was beautiful and historic) with temporary plywood laid over walkways, etc.

The bartenders were disinterested and near-rude and the brands being poured were cheap, e.g. Popov vodka.

As we approached the buffet line (having been called table by table), we were surprised at how utilitarian the set-up was -- aluminum steam table pans, no attempt at decoration, just aluminum pans set atop six-foot tables. Even more surprising, given the fact it is catered by the restaurant on the plantation, the food was bland and uninteresting.

The saving grace -- the show (which afterwards the host said was the first performance of the new version) was absolutely excellent. Talented performers, impressive effects, haunting story...

Grades:

Bar: D

Food Presentation: D

Food Quality: D+

Show: A

I think we paid $95 per person. Was it worth it? We wouldn't do it again.

• Administrators

The mods will likely move this (I mention it so my reply doesn't look weird if that happens!) but for a TON of information about ship-sponsored luaus, as well as luaus you can arrange independently on the islands, check out the Hawaii ports of call board! :)

Archived