Should I bring my hairdryer?

Unless your hair is extremely long or takes an unusually long time to dry, leave the hair dryer at home and adapt to the one on the ship.

Some people are fine with the soap and shampoo products onboard ships, I'm not one of them. If you use any color product on your hair, take your own color treated shampoo, the mystery stuff they have will strip your hair. Take a good conditioner along, the sun, salt and chlorinated water will trash your hair.

They don't have shower gel, just bar soap. I haven't use bar soap in over 25 years, so we take our own shower gel.

It just depends on if you are low or high maintenance ;) :)

I don't pack along so many of the extras that you see on the packing lists on these boards, like duct tape, cups, highlighter pens, extra bags, extension cords, laptops etc.... so I don't mind taking my creature comforts.

AS far as the hair dryers go, they are the typical type you see in hotel rooms. If you like the ones in hotel rooms, then don't bring your own. I have shoulder length air and have a bad habit of holding the dryer too close to my head. With the smaller type hair dryers such as the ones in hotel rooms and cruise ships, I keep getting my hair stuck in the fan part in the back. Other than that, they work just fine.

I just use the soap offered on the ship and don't bring gel. If bath gel if important to you, then bring it. Frankly I think it just takes up too much space in my luggage.

I prefer to bring my own shampoo, conditioner, and shower gel (in travel size bottles), just to keep my routine the same. I have medium length fine hair, so the dryers they provide usually suffice for drying my hair.

As the other poster mentioned, if you have long or thick hair and rely on a heavy-duty hair dryer, bring your own.

I do rely on an extension cord, as we usually plug in our phone chargers, a curling iron, and a clock.

I do rely on an extension cord, as we usually plug in our phone chargers, a curling iron, and a clock.

A little tip, charge the phone at home before you leave, then keep it turned off and only turn it on for emergencies (no need for a charger) , a battery powered clock can be purchased for under $10, that leaves the receptacle free for the curling iron: no extension cord needed.

I do keep a power strip in my toiletry bag, though we rarely use it. I'm one who tries to find ways of packing less on every trip. The toiletries always have to be taken, though. :)

Even with my short hair, I have found the Hair Dryers very low powered, and takes longer to dry my hair then one I have. I have also done well using the outlets on board for charging my cameras, so not sure i want to had a power strip to the list. My Lotions/Shampoos go into smaller travel containers.

One tip, I place all documents, travel & excursion info into a large mailing envelope and place on dresser last month so everything is together and I'm not looking for them at last minute.This includes Tickets when they arrive.

I have long thick hair and I did use the ship's dryer on the Radiance. It was ok and I was used to a standard hairdryer at home. But now I use a professional hair dryer and I will be bringing it with this time. I will also be bringing my own shampoo/condtioner because I use the good stuff (for me--the boys will be using the ship's stuff LOL!). I'll probably just go ahead and bring my own body wash too since I'm bringing everything else anyway. I'll get travel bottles though.

I always bring my own hairdryer. My hair is short and thick. I do not want to waste crusiing time to dry it with the wimpy hairdryers provided. I also pack my own shampoo, soap amd lotions. I am really picky about things like that.

The ones in the room take forever to dry your hair. I have medium length, normal thickness hair, and it felt like such a chore to dry my hair every night. Not to mention it annoyed me that I had to come off the pool deck early to leave time to dry my hair. Only made that mistake once!

Also, I second that if you color your hair take your own shampoo & conditioner. I believe RC only provides shampoo/shower gel combo anyway. The shower gel was fine to use, I did bring my own though just because my skin tends to get dry unless I use ultramoisturizing soap.

Hope that helps! I have the Conair travel dryer and have had it for 7 years now and it's still going strong!

Have a fabulous cruise!:D

Archived