Question for past New Zealand Cruisers

Painter

We did Australia/NewZealand Jan 95, on the old Pacific Princess (lovely small ship).

Temperature was very comparable to NorCA in June or July - somewhat cool, and layering came in very handy for the mornings and evenings. Midday very comfortable in shorts, etc.

I was in NZ in Dec/Jan. also. It is the most beautiful time to be there IMHO!

I'm not sure where the cruise stops as I was there on a land vacation. But, depending on where you go, the South Island in particular I found a bit cool sometimes, especially at night where a light jacket is a must. The fjords on the west coast and anywhere along the south coast will be colder (pants and sweaters) as opposed to the North Island which will be hot! I traveled all over the North and South Island so if you give me more detail I may be able to help you better!

I have never cruised NZ but have done alot of traveling around(my fav country:) ) I agree with the layers, bring shorts & an umbrella, because like Alaska cruising, you never know @ the weather, espically the south island. all the citys/ports are lovely, ck out the gardens all around Christchurch. If at all possible stay for a few extra days before or after the cruise, hotels are reasonable . NZ is a very clean, friendly, safe and an amazingly beautiful country- As they say in NZ "Have heaps of fun!!!" Liz

I think you can equate Melbourne to South Island of NZ in terms of climate, except South Island is even cooler. From our experience, South Island in winter is definitely colder than Melbourne - been in both places in different winters.

North Island is a lot warmer, more like the Gold Coast in Australia ?

Sorry Painter. Thought adding the temps would help but realize what I put down was not celsius. Anyway. I agree with other posters that you need layers. For most, New Zealand summers are a bit on the cool side, but when the sun comes out it can be warmer. Maybe this link will help. I wore light weight tops and long paints and always carried a sweater or jacket. I also carried a small umbrella. To address you specific question, I would pack jeans and a few each long and short sleave tops. Since I come from a cooler climate, what is cool to me may be cold to you.

http://www.climate.co.nz/

Yes, definately go for a mix of clothes. Auckland and Wellington I would expect warmer temps (70F's)-Shorts/short sleeves. When I was there it was warm enough to swim in the ocean!

Christchurch (such a beautiful city which you will love!!!)-pants/short sleeves, cool at night. You can go on a gondola ride through the city on a lovely river.

Dunedin-pants/long sleeves, cold at night...the city where you can climb the world's steepest street!

Fjords-pants/sweater or jacket, cold (50F's). We had hats and mittens on when we did a day cruise through them. The scenery is unbelievable (50xs better than Alaska IMHO!!). Have a great time! I'm so jealous of you! :)

Archived