Uxmal Ruins

PJTN66

Just wondering if anyone has been to these ruins...they look very interesting and I understand not far from Progresso(?). Is someone could tell me how far and the best way to get there, I would appreciate it. Is it worth the trip etc.

Thank you http://mayaruins.com/uxmal01.html

PJ

We have, a half-year ago and we really liked it. It is not crowded, and they allowed people to climb one of the pyramid. We were going to rent a car, we actually reserved it and I talked to the agent a few days before our arrival and he confirmed it. Unfortunately it was January 1 and the place was closed. We ended up taking a taxi, because all local tour people left while we were trying to call the agent. It cast us a bit more, but it was a very easy drive and it took us about 80 min. to get there. I do not remember how much it cost us, but it was the last taxi available

I went to Uxmal in December. Loved the ruins! They are beautiful and really amazing. Be sure to bring a lot of water and bug spray! Wear clothes that are comfortable and light.

We booked a ship sponsored excursion and took a bus out there. I personally wouldn't drive it, but some of the more adventurous might, depending if there is enough time! We left the moment we got off the ship and on the bus and came back just in time to get back on the ship. It just depends on how much time you are in port.

We have, a half-year ago and we really liked it. It is not crowded, and they allowed people to climb one of the pyramid. We were going to rent a car, we actually reserved it and I talked to the agent a few days before our arrival and he confirmed it. Unfortunately it was January 1 and the place was closed. We ended up taking a taxi, because all local tour people left while we were trying to call the agent. It cast us a bit more, but it was a very easy drive and it took us about 80 min. to get there. I do not remember how much it cost us, but it was the last taxi available

I'm going to be alone so wouldn't want to drive but glad to know it is worth visiting...thank you...never enough time for everything :)

I went to Uxmal in December. Loved the ruins! They are beautiful and really amazing. Be sure to bring a lot of water and bug spray! Wear clothes that are comfortable and light.

We booked a ship sponsored excursion and took a bus out there. I personally wouldn't drive it, but some of the more adventurous might, depending if there is enough time! We left the moment we got off the ship and on the bus and came back just in time to get back on the ship. It just depends on how much time you are in port.

That is most likely what I will do since I will be the only one in our group getting off the ship. Thank you

HIGH SPF then! LOL If you are pale you will end up lobster fried without it!! :eek:

One more thing...here's a link that will show you what you will see there...Have a great time! It's not crowded like Chichen Itza is and Progreso is one of the only places you can get to Uxmal from a ship!

click the green arrows to see pictures...

http://mayaruins.com/uxmal/uxsite.html

We will be visiting here in January for the first time.

I had wanted to see a "large" ruin after visiting Chacchoben in Costa Maya and had originally decided on Chichinitza.

Our neightbor has been to both and convinced me to go to Uxmal. It is approx. the same size, closer, more pristine and you can still climb the pyramids (Chichinitza has now stopped this).

Also originally thought about driving.... we like to rent cars and do our own thing.....however we will be in port from 12:00 (noon) to 8 pm so rethought that and will bite the bullet and take a cruise excursion.

It seems to be the concensus that it is better to take the ship's excursion, especially since it is not cheaper to do it the other way. We have been to Chichen Itza before, and I remember that they gave us this horrible box lunch with stale sandwiches and warm soda's on the trip back to the ship. The RCCL description for their Uxmal excursion doesn't mention about lunch. For those who have been there, is there food available there? Anything would be preferable to that box lunch. Also, I hate to go to Mexico and be given a ham sandwich to eat! We went to Tulum last year, and had the best food somewhere near there that was terrific- it was some small cafe serving absolutely delicious chicken enchiladas and the hottest salsa I have ever had in my mouth.

We don't go until next March, but I am already planning everthing!

Alicia

Sovereign of the Seas—July 2000

Grandeur of the Seas—March 2003

Adventure of the Seas—Feb 2004

Mariner of the Seas—May 2005

Rhapsody of the Seas—April 2006

Freedom of the Seas—Feb 2007

Voyager of the Seas—March 2008-- CAN”T WAIT!!

Archived