Passport Vs. Birth certificates

BlasterDave

Has anyone ever had a problem, or known of one, with someone using a birth certificate and a state ID in lieu of a passport?

countdown.pl?name=BlasterDave&date=9-2-2007&image=Beach-10&text=&ship=Carnival%20Conquest

Last Oct I used just a birth cert and my drivers license because I didn't renew my passport yet as it had totally expired. Didn't have a problem at all. I also brought my marriage license just in case but they never even asked to see that.

You really should consider getting a passport because as of next year they will be a requirement. Apply now because from what I have been reading it takes a very long time. When we got ours back in Dec, we only waited about 5 weeks but then after the new year everyone had very long waits.

Has anyone ever had a problem, or known of one, with someone using a birth certificate and a state ID in lieu of a passport?

No problem using the birth cert -- just back and that's all my family used. I would not risk applying for a passport at this late hour either. If you do decide to go for the passport, you should get an official copy of your birth cert as a backup in the likely event you don't get it back in time.

Gosh.....with all the media regarding passports, delays, congressmen intervening to speed things up, and the 208 requirements, it just makes sense to go get that passport application and be done with it. What will happen is those who wait till the last minute will be whining and moaning at what delays are like...when in reality had they taken care of this way in advance, the delays and stress could have been minimized !

We had to renew a passport and did so in May of this year.... Just got word it had finally been processed and was in the mail to us this week.

Gosh.....with all the media regarding passports, delays, congressmen intervening to speed things up, and the 208 requirements, it just makes sense to go get that passport application and be done with it. What will happen is those who wait till the last minute will be whining and moaning at what delays are like...when in reality had they taken care of this way in advance, the delays and stress could have been minimized !

We had to renew a passport and did so in May of this year.... Just got word it had finally been processed and was in the mail to us this week.

Normally, I would agree, but the OP is leaving in a few days 9-2-07. Obviously too late to get it back.

A passport is just much easier to use, when using your birth certificate you also have to drag out your picture ID. It don't seem like much but normally your hands are full of other stuff such as your tickets, and stuff.

I have one but my boyfriend doesnt. We haven't had any problems using his BC by itself on our last 2 cruises. It was as smooth as having a passport.

It's probably time that he finally gets one, however our upcoming cruise (9/9/07) was sort of last minute and there was no chance of him being issued one on such short notice. I do agree that everyone should get one for the future - times are changing!

A passport is just much easier to use, when using your birth certificate you also have to drag out your picture ID. It don't seem like much but normally your hands are full of other stuff such as your tickets, and stuff.

Not to mention the best form of ID that you can have because you have to submit your BC to get a passport.

While I know passports are the preferable form of id, we've used birth certificates and drivers licenses for 7 cruises now with no problems at all. We'll be applying for passports later this year, but we've got two more cruises coming up that we'll be using dl and birth certificates.

We renewed DD's passport 6/6/07 and it is still processing. I was concerned we would be without her BC for so long so we got an extra certified state BC for her. We flew to Ohio and didn't even have to show it and we are leaving on a last minute 3 day cruise on Thursday. So glad I got the extra BC! My PVP suggested I bring the passport application reciept though. DH and I have decided when its time to renew ours we are doing it far in advance.:rolleyes:

I am sure this has been asked before, but are passports required for children, am hoping to bring my DGD on a cruise, she's thirteen

Thanks for the info

Yes passports are required for children too. They can still cruise with birth cert right now, but will require passport next year.

Archived