Friends/family: how do they deal w/ your cruising addiction?

PoseidonGodoftheSea

I think my friends/family have about had it with my incessant cruise talk. They roll their eyes at me or make sarcastic comments like: there he goes again! I can't convince any of them to reserve their judgement until they at least try cruising themselves.

And the subject is downright off limits with DM who can't travel anywhere due to health issues with Dad. Her comment not too long ago was: is this going to be a yearly thing with you? Sheesh Mom!!

This subject came up on another board and I think it would be interesting here. How do you deal with your non-cruising friends/family? Especially the cynical ones that think cruising specifically or traveling in general is a waste of money. And have you ever successfully converted any of them?

Every time we book another cruise my daughter make a comment (kidding I hope) "there goes more of my inheritance!" Tough Luck kiddo....we are going to cruise as much as we can while we are still able.

I have the same things happen to me....

i get ok where is the world traveler going now.. well ya know i feel this i work hard and refuse to sit at home on my vacation....it would cost me more to stay some places i cruise to then i paid for the cruise...and thats just one place...i tell them go with me your be hooked....I LOVE TO CRUISE...and yes i converted one of the them.. she is hooked and now we are going to Paris b4 our TA cruise next year.from Barcelona... ( she said well ya know we are flying over there LOL )...i said finaly your thinking like me LOL LOL

i ask my friends .. if something happened to you right now , what would you be able to say you have seen in your life as far as travel...most can only say things here in US.. well i can say alot more ..

oh well such is life... but when people ask where i am going on vacation.. i love to say OH a cruise and it going to etc etc etc .. they go wow wish i could .. i just laugh and say yes i know .. but i am going not wishing... Tonia

My comment is-----It's all in how you want to spend your money. You remodeled your kitchen, I cruised. You remodeled your bath, I cruised. You choose a brand new expensive vehicle, I cruise. Not that either is right or wrong, just different. My DH and I have never regretted any money we have spent on cruising. Memories are the best. I think this is why we are always talking about our cruises, they were all special in their own way.

My dearest friend in the whole world couldn't care less about cruising. She doesn't have ANY desire to try it and I respect her feelings by not boring her to death with my obsession for cruising. She knows when and where I'm going and even helps me shop for "cruise clothes" which we both enjoy. Other than that, we have plenty of other things in common to talk about.

IMHO, you shouldn't bore people with constant talk about something they are not interested in. Respect their feelings and lack of desire to cruise. Even though cruising is my favorite way to spend my vacation $$, I realize that cruising is not for everyone. Find things you both enjoy talking about.

My comment is-----It's all in how you want to spend your money. You remodeled your kitchen, I cruised. You remodeled your bath, I cruised. You choose a brand new expensive vehicle, I cruise. Not that either is right or wrong, just different. My DH and I have never regretted any money we have spent on cruising. Memories are the best. I think this is why we are always talking about our cruises, they were all special in their own way.

I couldn't have said it better myself! ;)

We love cruising and probably talk about it too much;) So we try to restrict our comments to people who like to cruise and have the same passion that we have for it. We feel there is going to come a time when for whatever reason, we will not be able to cruise (age, health, etc.) so we are enjoying it now.

It is so true! I realize that my daughter is as I was when I too was 20 something and two little kids in tow. We camped and had fun, but that's where our dollars then streched to. She's a little bit jealous of my cruising. So I don't obsess about it with her and love every moment I get to go. And we obsess about the kids, our wieght, (just not after the cruise) and other things. And the boards here help "obsess" with those who LOVE cruising like me!:)

Donna

It is very possible that you are getting these reponses from familly and friends because many of them probably never did anything or gone anywhere.Instead of talking about cruising try talking about all of the different countries that you visited.You don't even have to mention cruising.The subject usually comes up after the 3rd or 4th country is mentioned.

None of my friends go on cruises like I do. I have gone on 15 which seems like a lot to them. I know for a lot of you 15 is just getting started.

Anyway, they don't want to hear about all the fun I've had while cruising. They choose to have newer, more expensive vehicles than we have and newer, larger homes. We usually spend less on a cruise than they spend on monthly mortgage and car payments.

I'm glad there is CC so I can share my experiences and read about your cruises.

I've got where I don't even bring up my next trip, or talk about the one I have been on. I avoid the subject at all possible. I have family members that get down right jealous.

One uncle gets out and out mean, about it all. He will ask when my next trip is and then roll his eyes or make a comment about me not staying at home when I answer him. Now this uncle can afford to go if he wanted to. My parents have also offered to take this uncle and aunt with them on a cruise with my parents footing the bill. He is one of those that has to keep up with the Jones, or in his case my parents. If my parents get something new, he is right behind him.

We get the tone from friends when they say "are you going on ANOTHER cruise" but we dont care. I've seen too many friends plan to have fun in the future only to have the future be dramatically altered. We are not free-wheeling or irresponsible but we plan to have the fun now, which is all we're guaranteed.

I read a t-shirt once that said something to the effect that God must have a sense of humour because he lets us think we make plans for ourselves.

Yes, we did make a convert out of my SIL. She had been on two Carnival cruises and decided she hated cruising. We talked her into a family reunion cruise this past Easter, this time on Celebrity in a Sky Suite. The best we could talk her into was a 5 night. Well, two days into the cruise she was asking why we hadn't booked a longer cruise because 5 nights was way too short!!! I guess all it took was booking her on a more premium cruiseline in a suite with a butler!!!

As far as those who scoff at our numerous cruises, I've learned to ignore them. Yes, it bothers me sometimes. My neighbor makes comments all the time and says how she never has any money to take nice vacations. I've gotten so tired of hearing that line. She and her husband work full-time, they have inherited close to 200K not once, but twice and her kids opted to skip out on college, so they had no hefty college tuition bills to pay. I've learned nobody should comment on how others spend their money. But it does irk me when someone makes a comment on how my husband and I spend ours. It's our business and nobody elses. If we haven't prepared well enough for retirement, oh well. I figure we'll then just have to be a burden to our children!!!LOL

I think my friends/family have about had it with my incessant cruise talk. They roll their eyes at me or make sarcastic comments like: there he goes again! I can't convince any of them to reserve their judgement until they at least try cruising themselves.

And the subject is downright off limits with DM who can't travel anywhere due to health issues with Dad. Her comment not too long ago was: is this going to be a yearly thing with you? Sheesh Mom!!

This subject came up on another board and I think it would be interesting here. How do you deal with your non-cruising friends/family? Especially the cynical ones that think cruising specifically or traveling in general is a waste of money. And have you ever successfully converted any of them?

this is to funny, we must be related. Rolling of the eyes is what my nephew does, and various others do and say the same things.

Archived