Beaches near ports

Susan85207

We are going cruising on Pride of America in December. Which beaches are walking distance from the ports? (hilo, Kona, Kahului and Nawiliwili) We would rather not mess with a rental car if we do not have to. Suggestions?

Thanks!

• Administrators
We are going cruising on Pride of America in December. Which beaches are walking distance from the ports? (hilo, Kona, Kahului and Nawiliwili) We would rather not mess with a rental car if we do not have to. Suggestions?

Thanks!

Walking? Not using public transportation or a quickie cab ride? Based on our experience and reading a zillion posts here -- at Nawiliwili, Kalapaki Beach is right next door and quite walkable. VERY nice beach, in front of the Marriott.

Hilo and Kahului, none that I saw or have seen recommended -- for both of those the pier is a commercial one and the area is full of berthing docks, warehouses, freight handlers, etc.

Kona -- where the tender ties up there are swimming areas left and right -- but if I recall from seeing the area, I truly don't remember a "beach" -- just... swimmable water. I know I remember that if you are facing the ship from the Kona pier, the area on the left is reached from concrete steps down from the concrete pier. I couldn't speak to the area to the right.

You might want to peruse some of the threads here about public transportation and bus service to beaches "nearby" the piers/tender stops. I know for some of the ports you mention there are some.

I can add that there is a beach area on the right (facing the ocean) in Kona. It is a part of the King Kamehameha Hotel. It's not the greatest beach, but the water was fine and snorkeling there if you swim out a little was fair. Since it is right next to the tender pier, it's a good spot to cool off if you see a long tender line to get back to the ship!

I can add that there is a beach area on the right (facing the ocean) in Kona. It is a part of the King Kamehameha Hotel. It's not the greatest beach, but the water was fine and snorkeling there if you swim out a little was fair. Since it is right next to the tender pier, it's a good spot to cool off if you see a long tender line to get back to the ship!

yep thats there, i remember seeing it

also theres a shuttle from the pier for 5$ per person each way to kahuluu beach park ( I know i spelled it wrong )

this is the beach will all the sea turtles.

if you go there make sure you have swim shoes or flippers its mostly all reef and rock,, not real sandy.. but a nice area to snorkel.. not real good for kids, if you have lil ones for for the beach bucky is talking about

Archived