Water on Norwegian Cruise Line

Snoopsmom

No coffee and no tea? You only drink bottled water? Hard to believe.

How about washed lettuce, tomatoes, carrots, etc., dining on salads? You know they place lettuce on top of ice, lemons to. Not many restaurants place butter above ice similiar to NCL. Not many restaurants report to anyone, unlike a cruise ship.

Read other reports about food sickness. http://www.carmarthenshire.gov.uk/index.asp?locID=2391&docID=-1

Legionaires disease hardly shows up on most sites.

Well, I can tell you all for a FACT that the potable water onboard is absolutely safe to drink. The quality is being checked every day by the ship's engineers and also checked regularly during USPH inspections.

Ooooh.. I know you meant well..... but... what you probably don't realize is that I AM in the media! LOL!

please tell me you are Ines Rosales from FOX GoodDay NY traffic reporter. SHE'S CUTE!!! (and i think my wife likes the weather guy).

please tell me you are Ines Rosales from FOX GoodDay NY traffic reporter. SHE'S CUTE!!! (and i think my wife likes the weather guy).

Nick Gregory or Mike Woods?

I miss the other Traffic Reporter but Ines isn't bad either! :cool:

What I do know is that the media in GENERAL tries to make everything bigger than it is. That is part of their operation. Sensationalize has become the motto.

And from what I can tell from that "STUDY", it did not say that the water aboard ships was any more dangerours than normal city water, bottled water or anything else. It only talked about incidents where things happened. And, yes things "happen". I did not see anywhere that they suggested you should not drink the water.

Looks like somebody is trying to read way too much into this "report".

What I do know is that the media in GENERAL tries to make everything bigger than it is. That is part of their operation. Sensationalize has become the motto.

And from what I can tell from that "STUDY", it did not say that the water aboard ships was any more dangerours than normal city water, bottled water or anything else. It only talked about incidents where things happened. And, yes things "happen". I did not see anywhere that they suggested you should not drink the water.

Looks like somebody is trying to read way too much into this "report".

I think the people who went balistic because I included a FACTUAL study are the people who are sensationalizing this thread. I merely stated that I don't drink the water on the ship and included a link as to why. Then the attacks began on me. How silly.

What happens quite often in this forum, is that is you tell people things they don't want to hear (like smoking is bad for your health), they go nuts and kill the messenger.

So drink the ship's water, doesn't matter to me. It's your body. Do with it as you choose. I'm bringing my bottled water. Personal choice.

I think the people who went balistic because I included a FACTUAL study are the people who are sensationalizing this thread. I merely stated that I don't drink the water on the ship and included a link as to why. Then the attacks began on me. How silly.

What happens quite often in this forum, is that is you tell people things they don't want to hear (like smoking is bad for your health), they go nuts and kill the messenger.

So drink the ship's water, doesn't matter to me. It's your body. Do with it as you choose. I'm bringing my bottled water. Personal choice.

But the original intent of the OP was to find out if in fact there was a charge for water on her cruise. There was nothing asked about the quality or safety of said water. She got her answer that yes there was a charge for bottled water on her cruise.

Disclaimer: This is not a personal attack on Surfgirl or any other poster here.

• Administrators

Okay, OP's question has long ago been answered, and I'd avoided this thread and its "tone." But tonight on a whim I decided to check the originally posted link about the study purportedly showing why it's good to drink only bottled water on a modern cruise ship. Now I can't help but point out -- the Conclusions section of that 2004 study states that from 1970 - 2003, 6400 people were affected in 21 "waterborne" outbreaks of stuff like giardia.

SO... in 33 years, 193 people PER YEAR on average were affected by outbreaks occurring LESS than once per year on "ships." The study is based on reports about "ships" worldwide -- does that include ALL ships, as well as cruiseliners? It certainly does; the focus of the study's recommendations is on safety of water loaded on board the "ships" in port. Do any modern cruiseships still do that? Oh, oh, wait -- I read the fine print on page 2 -- the study is based on any report of contamination on any "ship," defined as "passenger ship, naval ship, general cargo ship, or fishing vessel."

So all this hubbub is based on a study that included fishing vessels worldwide uploading water from their local ports over 33 years.... and we should accept it as a basis to inform decisionmaking about whether to drink modern reverse osmosis water on a modern passenger liner?

:rolleyes:

To the OP (if you care any more) yes, there's a charge for bottled water on board; if you don't care to drink the ship's water, NCL permits you to bring your own bottled water on board.

[quote name=MichellP;11445050?

To the OP (if you care any more) yes' date=' there's a charge for bottled water on board; if you don't care to drink the ship's water, NCL permits you to bring your own bottled water on board.[/quote]

Good answer..perhaps this can end this thread:)

The study is based on reports about "ships" worldwide -- does that include ALL ships, as well as cruiseliners? It certainly does; the focus of the study's recommendations is on safety of water loaded on board the "ships" in port. Do any modern cruiseships still do that? Oh, oh, wait -- I read the fine print on page 2 -- the study is based on any report of contamination on any "ship," defined as "passenger ship, naval ship, general cargo ship, or fishing vessel."

"RESULTS: The findings of this review show that the majority of reported outbreaks were associated with passenger ships and that more than 6,400 people were affected. Waterborne outbreaks due to Enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli, noroviruses, Salmonella spp, Shigella sp, Cryptosporidium sp, and Giardia lamblia occurred on ships. Enterotoxigenic E. coli was the pathogen most frequently associated with outbreaks. One outbreak of chemical water poisoning also occurred on a ship. Risk factors included contaminated port water, inadequate treatment, improper loading techniques, poor design and maintenance of storage tanks, ingress of contamination during repair and maintenance, cross-connections, back siphonage, and insufficient residual disinfectant."

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1497646

By the way, on the same Page 2 you mention, it says, "The majority of outbreaks were associated with passenger ships (18/21 86%). Almost one-third of the outbreaks occurred on Caribbean cruise ships.

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1497646

By the way, on the same Page 2 you mention, it says, "The majority of outbreaks were associated with passenger ships (18/21 86%). Almost one-third of the outbreaks occurred on Caribbean cruise ships.

Guess you are on the wrong board...try posting on the CCL boards

AMEN:)

Not to worry..since you only drink your own "carried-on" water!

and this thread is STILL alive!

LOL let me see if I can close it. Did you know that urine is sterile? It doesn't pass disease so maybe you should drink........

Let see don't drink the ships waters it may be contaminated.

Don't drink bottled water you really don't know where its been...

don't refill your bottled water from the water tap it can pass disease...

drink beer!

if cars kill 50,000 in the US alone every year and 10 times that number are maimed...how did you get to the pier. This is among the silliest posts I have seen yes there is an infitesmal small chance the water will make you ill and a greater chance you will be eaten by a shark(so eat them first) or struck by lightening getting out of your car smoking a cigarette

Archived