NON-Swimmers and Cave Tubing

99WildcatCruiser

I hear that the cave tubing is great, but is it OK for non-swimmers. I saw in a thread that the tour guide pulls you. How deep can the water be?

Thank!

You do have life vest on, but there are areas of the caves where water is 40 ft. deep or more......

I've done a lot of research on the cave tubing, including speaking via phone to Major Tom, I've been told that the water ranges anywhere from 1 to 20 feet in depth and that all of the tour operators take special care of any non-swimmer. You are also provided with a life vest and cave light. Hope this helps.

I've done a lot of research on the cave tubing, including speaking via phone to Major Tom, I've been told that the water ranges anywhere from 1 to 20 feet in depth and that all of the tour operators take special care of any non-swimmer. You are also provided with a life vest and cave light. Hope this helps.

According to Major Tom and a recent cave tubing experience he stated the water was 40 ft. in depth in areas.....and this was when water levels were low in the streams.....It is correct regarding taking care of non swimmers as he asked if anyone in our group could not swim and paid special attention to them thru out the tour. Some tour guides use strap on head lamps, but Major Tom, at ***** uses a lamp that clips onto your life vest which we found more vesatile than one strapped to your head.

When we went with Major Tom & Tom Jr. the water was not that deep (May). There is not really a chance of coming out of your tube unless you want too, and you have a life vest on. I jumped out of the tube once and the water felt sooo wonderful after being in the hot sun. Major Tom & Tom Jr are completely concerned with your safety. They want great reviews on these boards, and they get them from satisfied customers.

Try the zipline too! Major Tom has a combo tour now. It was a blast.

When we went with Major Tom & Tom Jr. the water was not that deep (May). There is not really a chance of coming out of your tube unless you want too, and you have a life vest on. I jumped out of the tube once and the water felt sooo wonderful after being in the hot sun. Major Tom & Tom Jr are completely concerned with your safety. They want great reviews on these boards, and they get them from satisfied customers.

Try the zipline too! Major Tom has a combo tour now. It was a blast.

I hear that the cave tubing is great, but is it OK for non-swimmers. I saw in a thread that the tour guide pulls you. How deep can the water be?

Thank!

Safe? Absolutely. My family and I went cave tubing with Major Tom and his crew in Belize and had a wonderful time. Youngest in our group was 10 years old, a non- swimmer.

First off, these guys are great. Tom Jr. (Thomas) met us at the tender pier and we were off. We began the drive from Belize City and got a wonderful history lesson, and a chance to ask questions about the country (only 25 years old!) and its people.

As we walked through the rainforest our tour guide again took care of us. Of course, we turned down the opportunity to eat termites but some did. I'm told they don't taste like chicken, but instead had a mint flavor.

Anyway, the cave tubing was totally safe. Everyone has a tube, lifevest and a caving light, but honestly, the water is usually not very deep most of the way. There is only a short distance where the depth is about 20 feet but you are through that fairly quickly. The rest of the time the water is only a few feet deep.

My grandson Tyler got extra safety attention to make sure he was OK. ANd being one of the "older" people in the group at 54, Thomas was already checking on me to make sure I wasn't in any distress.

It is a leisurely ride through the cave, very peaceful, yet exciting.

When done, you head back to Belize City in your air-conditioned bus with more tour options.

Frankly, I love going with a private group on cruises instead of cruise-sponsored versions because the attention is so personal. Major Tom's group (*****) was one of our best in terms of service and value for the money.

A week after our return, when Hurricane Dean hit the Caribbean, I E-mailed Major Tom to see how they turned out and they did fine and are up and running.

Thanks everyone! We are going to consider cave tubing. We survived Dunn's River Falls in Jamaica. i think we might be able to do this.

Thanks again!:D

If you did Dunns River in Jamaica, this will be a breeze !!!

FYI, just was advised by my friend Major Tom regarding payment, he has PayPal on his website for those who wish to pre pay for their tours. But he still does not require payment in advance for those who wish to wait and even if you do not pay until the end of the tour but make a reservation, you will still have a spot despite not paying a dime until after the tour. Thats what I call the BEST of everything... a GREAT TOUR, GREAT PRICE...SAFETY of guests throughout the tour and as a bonus... Pay after the tour is complete ! How can you lose with ***** is all I have to say about these great guys 1

PS.... I also hear that he is working on offering some new tours in the near future too !

Archived