The Dress

dna32

Ok..so I bought my dress..and I loved it when I boutght it 1 mo ago..now I don't like it as much...

Anyone else have this problem?

I love the dress..it's just the dress has a long train and I don't think I like that...I am very short 5' and no matter what the dress needs to be atlered...the problem is all the detail is at the bottom and they would have to take off from the top...it's going to cost $$$ to do the work I want done...should I stay with this dress..and just make the alerations to get the dress I want..or buy a new one...??

I love the detail on the dress..it has this starfish like patern with pearls...so it would go with the nautical theme...:)

I really don't have the time to look for another dress..the wedding is Dec 28th..so I need to get things rolling...am I just having buyers remorse??:eek:

I couldn't sleep last night...all I could think about was the dress...and was it just a big mistake..or am I just making a mountain out of a mole hill!!!

:o

My dress cost $300 to get altered because they had to hem a panel of lace by hand.

I am completely of the mind that you always make an investment in clothes in terms of purchase price and alterations. This way the clothes fit you body the best, look fabulous on you, and last forever.

But that is just my opinion.

Since you are so petite, and anything you buy is going to have to be altered, how much would you really save if you bought another dress? Wouldnt that have to be altered too?

Wow..good point...You are so right..no matter what I get it will have to be altered....After having sleep probs due to the dress....that is probly the true problem here...I am just stressing ...

Guess this is normal..at this part of the game!!

Thanks!!:D

I think it is completely normal to stress about the dress. It's such an important thing to us girls. I am worried about alterations for mine, too. Wedding is in November and the dress is supposed to come in within the next week or two. I can't wait to have it in my clutches, it's freaking me out that it isn't here yet (I ordered in Feb).

I KNOW I'm going to have such pricey alterations. They encouraged me to order up a size since I was in between sizes. Even though the bust was going to be at least 1.5" too large.

Since then, I've lost quite a bit of weight. I'm nervous they won't be able to alter it so that it will look right. I know it's easier altering down a size than up a size... but I'm still nervous. I wish I would have just listened to my instinct and ordered down a size. :(

I would keep your dress. The nautical detailing sounds awesome. My best friend is 5' too, and when she ordered her dress then took measurements form the base of her neck to the floor, and were able to move up the detailing on the bottom from the get-go. When the dress came in the detailing was like 3-4" from the bottom, so they just had to alter off plain satin. Since you already ordered your dress, not sure if this is possible, but something to keep in mind for any other petite brides. :)

Good luck!

Thanks for your input...all the detail is at the bottom and in the front there is two sets of lace detail...so it might be best just to have the top cropped off and go from there..the dress is plain on top with spegetti straps and has a seperate top that comes with it...the extra top has all the detail.and it buttons in the back....so I was thinking just to have it altered from the top of the dress and take the extra top that has the detail and have it attached so it's all one piece...

Now I have to find someone to do this...that should be lots of fun!!!:eek:

I'm actually worried about having the same problem! My wedding isn't until July 1, 2008. I feel like I should be doing something, but the only thing I really have to pick out is the dress and the invites. I've been looking online, but haven't gone into the 'salons' yet. I worry if I find something this far in advance, i'll change my mind by next summer. BUT then I worry, if I find something I love and it takes forever to order and then alter, I might cut it too close!!! AHHHHRRGG!

So, my question is...how far in advance to I 'have' to pick something? I know the ladies in the bridal store will tell me "right now" but i don't want to be pressured into a decision to far in advance! (I feel like I am getting ready to buy a car!):eek:

I'm the slacker that has been doing things at the last minute..so...Good Job on doing things in advance....as far as the dress goes...it's really easy to change your mind several times...there are so many dresses to choose from..I have lost lots of weight so the dress has been a real issue...

Diana

I'm actually worried about having the same problem! My wedding isn't until July 1, 2008. I feel like I should be doing something, but the only thing I really have to pick out is the dress and the invites. I've been looking online, but haven't gone into the 'salons' yet. I worry if I find something this far in advance, i'll change my mind by next summer. BUT then I worry, if I find something I love and it takes forever to order and then alter, I might cut it too close!!! AHHHHRRGG!

So, my question is...how far in advance to I 'have' to pick something? I know the ladies in the bridal store will tell me "right now" but i don't want to be pressured into a decision to far in advance! (I feel like I am getting ready to buy a car!):eek:

I think it depends on the dress and the manufacturer. If you order something simple or something they might have in stock, you could wait awhile longer than if they have to hand-make an elaborate dress. I think I was told 6 months is a good time to order. For bridesmaids, 4 months prior to the wedding. I ordered mine about 10 months out, because they had a sale going on and I had $250 off the dress. So, you can also watch out for those types of things to save a little money! :D

Archived