Buying travel insurance for the first time...any suggestions?

jimbug

Since my next cruise is in March, which is still the middle of winter here in the great land of North Dakota, I figured it would be wise to go ahead and buy travel insurance for this trip, especially since I'll be making an outbound air connection in Denver. (First time trying to fly anywhere in the wintertime since moving up here!)

I've been to insuremytrip.com and it came back with tons and tons of choices, most priced similarly. Does anyone have any positive experience with any of the major travel insurance companies that you would recommend? Any experience with either getting reimbursed for a missed trip due to weather-related delay, or with them trying to get you to the ship's first port of call? (Right now, I don't even know what that will be, since it was scheduled to be Costa Maya...)

Thanks!

I've been to insuremytrip.com and it came back with tons and tons of choices, most priced similarly. Does anyone have any positive experience with any of the major travel insurance companies that you would recommend? Any experience with either getting reimbursed for a missed trip due to weather-related delay, or with them trying to get you to the ship's first port of call? (Right now, I don't even know what that will be, since it was scheduled to be Costa Maya...)

Thanks!

Go to www.insuremytrip.com They represent many differenct companies, coverages and prices.

She has already been there, she is looking for personal experience. I used TravelSafe. A few friends used it in the past and filed a claim and got a check within 2-3 weeks.

Hey there up in Grand Forks! I grew up there and my dad still lives there on 18th and Cherry St.....:) .

I don't remember the exact company, but we bought our travel insurance through the insuremytrip web site. They have extensive info on all the policies and companies. Just make sure you read carefully. Some companies will be secondary insurers, and other will actually be primary insurers. Either way, as long as the travel insurance and your regular insurance pretty much covers all the possiblities, any company with a decent AM Best rating should be just fine.

It is usually NOT a good idea to get insurance through the same company that you are travelling with (Carnival in this case). On the outside chance that a problem develops with Carnival and they go down the tubes for some reason, your insurance through them would probably disappear, too. Now, with a major firm this IS highly unlikely....but still not a good fincancial choice.

Go to a UND football game and hockey game for me......<sniff>.

"Scout" aka Carol

Dayton, OH

Carnival Valor~December 2005

Archived