Method to this packing madness?

LeopardGirl2

Would anyone be able to share their lists?

There are multiple lists out there with everying you can imagine listed, so be careful with those lists! Not only can you pack totally unnecessary items, you can spend a fortune buying all the stuff :rolleyes: . I'd give you my list, but it might not pertain to you, just as yours may not work for me.

I keep our travel toiletry kit packed all the time. We don't travel frequently, perhaps 3-4 weekend trips a year and one week long vacation. But, I've found that you need the exact same items every time you travel, even overnight. Make a list as you go through your normal routine, both morning and night, those are the things you take, leave everything else at home.

I use a rolling rack for the clothes I'm taking, it's easier to see what will mix and match, where I can combine the use of shoes, where I can cut back. After I finalize the clothing decision, I put all jewelry accessories in drawstring bags around the hangers, belts or scarves can hang on the outfit as well. I pack from the rolling rack and never before, I'd not remember what was packed and what wasn't. This way ensures nothing crucial (at least to the outfit ;) ) gets left behind.

Other than that, a small first aid kit, our camera with plenty of memory and batteries plus the charger and one cell phone, fully charged and turned off. Of course, we do take our ID and money, credit cards, etc... I leave off all the gizmos and stuff that might come in useful, especially if I don't know what the item is used for. I've never taken duct tape, highlighter pens, cups, extra bags, extension cords, or so many items these packing lists contain.

You have to remember, you are going on a cruise ship, not a camping trip :)

I keep a makeup bag just for travel with smaller sizes of most of the "regular" items I use.

We actually do take a power strip when we travel! DH's camera and laptop get plugged in (he likes to upload pics to the laptop while traveling). I always take a nightlight too.

I know everyone's list will be different, but it is interesting to see what people take. I've added and subtracted from my list over the years and found that suggestions from others actually helped me take less. :D (I am a hopeless overpacker!!):rolleyes:

I keep my list on my PDA so I can add/delete/modify whwnever I feel like it. Then about 2 weeks before the trip, I print it out so I can evaluate if anything has to be laundered, dry-cleaned, purchased, checked for expiration date, etc.

I make a tentative list of all the items that I want to bring with us, including all our meds etc.

A few days before leaving we put all these items (except for things that we are still using -ie hair brushes etc) in our spare bedroom.

I always buy sample sizes of items we use and save samples from my MaryKay lady, etc

I always pack half my items in each bag and half my husbands so if a bag is lost, at least we have some of our items.

I keep a makeup bag just for travel with smaller sizes of most of the "regular" items I use.

We actually do take a power strip when we travel! DH's camera and laptop get plugged in (he likes to upload pics to the laptop while traveling). I always take a nightlight too.

I know everyone's list will be different, but it is interesting to see what people take. I've added and subtracted from my list over the years and found that suggestions from others actually helped me take less. :D (I am a hopeless overpacker!!):rolleyes:

I do have a three recepticle power strip in my toiletry bag, it stays there all the time, with the 4 clothespins that are always in there. I rarely use the power strip, usually we charge things overnight, when there is no need for other electrical appliances.

I was reading the other day how someone always took a plug in alarm clock, mine (if I bother to take it) is battery powered. Then, I was reading another thread how many peoples plug in clocks would not keep accurate time, because of the low and high power surges on a ship :eek: . I think I may start packing a small (very small) surge protector for my rechargeable items. The power strip will have to find a new home.

I was reading the other day how someone always took a plug in alarm clock, mine (if I bother to take it) is battery powered. Then, I was reading another thread how many peoples plug in clocks would not keep accurate time, because of the low and high power surges on a ship :eek: . I think I may start packing a small (very small) surge protector for my rechargeable items. The power strip will have to find a new home.

<looks for small surge protector to add to list :eek:

While you are packing, lay out your outfits on your bed and seperate them by day (not that you have to wear them that particular day) - This way you will be able to see how many items you REALLY need. Then take a few extras for those "just incase" moments. Take out your shoes and make sure that each will go with a particular outfit. Eliminate the extras and those that you say to yourself, "well I might be able to wear these if...". Don't forget your bathing suits, undergarmets and PJ's.

While you are still on the clothes mission, take out your jewlery, accessories, sunglasses, hats and handbags/beachbags (if any) and decide on the pieces that match with the clothes your taking. Stick the small pieces in a Jewlery Bag or Ziplock Bag and put them inside a bigger bag.

Once you have your clothes, shoes and Jewlery/Accessories set then start thinking about the toiletries and all the extras. Start with the medicines, sunscreens and work your way to your bathroom items (shampoo, soap, etc).

This pretty much covers the essentials. The rest are just the extras that could be a convenience to take.

Hope this helps!

I do have a three recepticle power strip in my toiletry bag, it stays there all the time, with the 4 clothespins that are always in there. I rarely use the power strip, usually we charge things overnight, when there is no need for other electrical appliances.

If the clock has a backup battery will this allow for accurate time-keeping when those power surges occur?:confused:

If the clock has a backup battery will this allow for accurate time-keeping when those power surges occur?:confused:

I have absolutely no idea. A battery powered alarm clock can cost less than $10 at your local discount store. We don't bother with a clock any more. We just have a wake up call, or have pre-ordered room service coffee for a set time.

I'm a terrible sleeper (hence the reason for many of my 4 am posts here over the years :p ), so I have little need for an alarm clock.

I do what 668Kris does with clothes, I tell dh to get out what he needs and I do the same, lay them on the bed. I usually go from socks to undies and so forth and then when it is all ready I fold and bagg and start putting it in the suitcase which is usually the day before, I take a travel clock, and alot of samlpes or travel sizes this way if you use it all up then it goes in the trash, I will take wipes to do the room for the last time I got the virus on the day we were traveling home. Think about it the two sail days you are in a bathing suit so that elinates two days, the clothes I travel in I get them cleaned and wear them home. I get some samples of perferme from my Avon lady, so I don't have to carry big bottles, think small in toilettries. Like some one said I am there on vacation not camping and if you for get you can do with out most of the times.

Wow, this is a great thread. It's got me so excited about packing for my NOVEMBER cruise! Not that I'm actually packing yet, but I did make an Excel spreadsheet with each day we will be gone, and then a column for the activities we will (most likely) be doing, a column for the clothes I would need, one for accessories, one for shoes. So now I've started seeing where I might be able to get away with duplicate items (shoes, jewelry, even dresses, etc), as well as tally up the number of casual sight-seeing outfits I'll need (like shorts and tanks). I've also highlighted everything that I still need to purchase. What a lot of fun!

How about packing jewelry and shoes?

I plan to wear my most bulky shoes, the rest go in the bottom of the suitcase in a bag to protect the rest of my clothes. I will usually use a cloth draw-string type bag for each pair, but a regular plastic bag works, too.

For jewelry, I plan on putting each coordinating set into their own ziplock so I can see what is in there as well as keep everything together. I usually just bring costume jewelry for necklaces, earrings, etc. so no worries on using a silk pouch or anything like that. Earrings I keep on the cardboard they came on. I saw a tip on here to insert necklaces into straws to keep them tidy, so I plan on doing that, too, it's a great tip!

I do a spread sheet for each trip I take.

I have a line for every day I'm going to be gone. In each day I have a spot for day clothes and dinner clothes.

Example:

Day 1

Day:

Brown pants/white top. Amber necklace, amber earrings

Evening:

White top/brown skirt. amber necklace, amber earrings

I do this for ever day I'm going to be gone.

I stick to 3 colors for the bottoms, Brown, Black and Blue. I do vary in my tops, but my tops must at least go with 2 of those colors. I also use packing cubes. I now have enough that I can do one cube with a complete outfit for each day. This is very handy if you are doing a land base trip. I can now do a 7 day trip with room to spare in one 26 inch suitcase.

As for what to pack, look in your bathroom. If it's something that you use at home every day, then most likely you will use it on your trip. Just buy smaller containers. I break mine down in smaller containers, and then I either trash them before I leave or give them to my cabin steward. That way I have more room coming home.

I also toss the undies! Yup, that's right, toss the undies. Something else I don't have to worry about washing when I get home, and more room for those suvies!

For my rings that I wear daily, the BEST thing I have found is a travel soap dish. I found one with hinges, but haven't seen one since. It goes beside my bed and at night when I take my rings off, they go in that soap dish.

Radio Shack has a great travel power strip. It runs around $20.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2416820&cp=&sr=1&origkw=travel+power+cords&kw=travel+power+cords&parentPage=search

I love this power cord! It takes up no room and works really great.

I like your idea about the soap dish for the rings I have an empty Altoid tin that I am going to take, I try to take jewery that will work for all the outfits, I and also use plastic bags from WalMart I put the shoes in the bag and like you said they won't get anything dirty or anything hooked on them. We don't take pwer strips because we don't carry all that electronic gadgets.

On our last cruise someone we met had a lost suitcase. This time after we have laid out all our clothes, and tenatively packed them in a his and a her bag, I will unpack the bags and repack. When I repack I will divide the clothes so each bag has a variety of his clothes and my clothes. That way we will survive if a bag is lost. I felt so sorry for several of the people that had lost bags. I pack my jewelry in those see thru nylon pull string bags so when I hang the clothes up I can hang the bag on the hanger with the outfit. I also try to cut down and have only one pair of dress shoes. Even with all the planning, I still have too much! But it sure is fun, especially once that bag is locked and ready to go!!;) ;)

I too use the spread sheet organized by day/planned activity/evening outfit. I have additional columns for bags/shoes and try to coordinate these as much as possible. I also put in if I need a specific bra/undergarment for an outfit so I do not forget them or wind up taking too many.

Jewelry is always pretty much the same and I have a small travel jewelry box that goes in my carry on.

I have also discovered that many things are only worn briefly or for a few hours and can be worn several times. Since I always hand wash swimsuits after wearing I don't mind wearing them 2-3 times on a trip.

Travel bag for toiletries is always packed and makeup is put in a padded travel bag on the last morning. I always stash the "gift with purchases" sizes for perfumes, bath gel, skin care stuff, makeup etc. and use this only for travel. Always throw in a good book or two but wind up reading very little.

It seems I get better about not overpacking with each trip;)

A couple things I can't do without:

ear plugs - drummer's ear plugs or shooter's work best

eye shade

clorox anywhere spray (like lysol)

ginger caplets for seasickness - everything else gives me balloon head

My own contour pillow and feather pillow

That's off the top of my head - I'm sure I have more!

Archived