Method to this packing madness?

LeopardGirl2

For me it's more about being able to glance at a clock while getting ready for dinner, etc., then about setting an alarm.:)

I always have my watch on :)

How about packing jewelry and shoes?

I firmly believe in a travel jewelry case, a good one with zippers and attachments. One that earrings or rings will not slip out of, one that is small enough to pop into your purse:

lb903_dt.jpghttp://www.magellans.com/store/Packing_Aids___Jewelry_CasesLB903?Args=

Shoes are packed in the same case as the outfit they go with, as in formal shoes are in the garment bag with the formal wear, sandals are in the same case as my shorts, etc.... I'd hate to have nothing but Ts and shorts with my 3 inch strappy heels :) I always crack up when I read the tip about putting your shoes into your husbands to save space. I have big feet, DH has rather small feet for his height, we practically wear the same size :p

I also cross-pack with my husband, if one case should go on a different vacation than us, at least we would have some clothes! Even if you're not married or with a SO, if you have any travel partner cross packing is a good idea.

This is probably too late, but maybe it will help someone else!

I do the same thing as many on here. I make a day by day list, keeping in mind the activities for that day. It doesn't mean I have to wear that particular outfit because it might work for some other day, but that way I know I've packed enough or too much. I also put on there shoes, accessories, and other items (jacket, sweatshirt, toiletries, cameras, money, etc) b/c if I didn't put them on there, I'd probably space them off!

As for packing jewelry, I have a little snap close travel jewelry box that my mom got me a few years ago. It has places for rings and a little lift out tray so you can put things underneath. Then I'll put that in my rolling carry-on.

I have a small (battery operated!) alarm clock that will go with us. It lights up so that we can see it at night if we need to. Also bringing an extra outlet this time. We really needed last time!

First Aid Kit:

Contact Lenses/ Glasses/ Contact Solution

Meds

Advil, Tylenol, Excedrin

Bonine/ Wrist Bands

Amodium AD / Azo Standard

Band-Aids

Cold Medications/ Eye Drops

Ace Bandage

Alcohol Swabs/Antibacterial Cream

Repellent

Wipes

Q-Tips

Air Borne

Poolside:

Sun-block/ Suntan lotion

Swimsuits/ Cover-up/ Hat

Water shoes/sandals

Beach Bag

Cabin Items:

Nite Lite/ Flash Light

Febreeze

Clock

Hi-liter, Pen, Post-it Notes

Miscellaneous:

Passport/Birth Cert (copy) & ID

Travel Documents

Tour Books

Books to Read

Money Pouch/ Back Pack

Credit Cards/ Bank ATM Cards (copy for kids)/ Cash

Ziplock Bags

Rain Ponchos/ Umbrellas

Camera/ Charger

Sewing Kit/ Scissors/ Safety Pins

Compass/ Binoculars

Luggage Locks

Cork Screw

Dirty Clothes Bag

Zip ties

Sun glasses

Small flash light

Laundry (on long trip w laundry available)

Detergent Tabs/ Dryer Sheets/ Clothes Pins (hang wet suits)

Hair

Shampoo/ Conditioner

Diffuser/ Hair Dryer

Hair Spray/ Mouse/ Shine

Comb/ Brush

Hair Clips

Nails

Nail File/ Nail clippers

Toothbrush/ Toothpaste/ Mouthwash

Razor/ Shave Cream

Deodorant

Make-up

Make-up Remover cloths

Make-up

Eyeliner/ Eye Shadows/ Eye Brow Brush/ Mascara

Blush/ Brush

Lipstick

Tweezers

Perfume

Creams/ Body Lotion

Mirror

Clothes:

Travel Clothing To & From

Casual, Smart Casual, Formal (# of Days)

Shoes (Formal & Casual)

Bras/ Undies/ Shapers

Socks/ Hose

Jewelry

Cumber buns/ Cuff Links

I take everything that is going on the trip and lay it on the bed with sets put together. Then I take my list and go over it. My best advice for an alarm clock: take a cheap watch (mine came from Wal Mart and is probably meant for a kid). The watch is both waterproof - great for the beach - and has an alarm on it.

After I fill in my spreadsheet, I list my garments on a separate page. Then I check the spreadsheet and check off the listed garments. If a single garment isn't listed at least 3 times, I cross it out and rejigger the plan. With limited luggage space available, everything I bring has to earn its passage.

I bring my jewelry in a Bagallini roll-up. It has scads of transparent pockets and can be hung on a hanger or hook. A nice selection of costume jewelry and scarves helps me stretch my limited wardrobe.

What great packing advice from just one thread!! I too keep a spreadsheet and have columns for the day and activity, day wear and evening wear for that day. My packing goal is to get down to a carry on sized roll aboard suitcase and a shoulder tote. Of course my purse too :D

Thanks for the information about the travel power strip. I'm headed to Radio Shack this weekend to get one. I already used a mineral makeup that doesn't have to go in the 1 quart bag and I'm trying out other solids too, deoderant for one so that I can minimize what I have to take in that bag. It gets full before you know it.

I carry a black travel fabric (most of my evening clothes are made of this) full length skirt with with 1 sparkly, 1 silk top for formal nights. One pair of trousers and one pair of crops in black travel knit with pretty tops for smart casual dinners. For warmer climates there are 2 swimsuits and 2 cover ups. Black dressy flats, black heeled sandals, sneakers (which I wear on the plane) and flip flops. A couple pair of capri pants or shorts and several t-shirts. An oversized t-shirt to sleep in, underclothing, toiletries, medicines, cosmetics and jewelry. I can do a 3 day trip with just a small carry on and my purse.

Anyone use a system when packing in order to avoid leaving behind those important items?

When it comes to clothes I usually lay out each outfit and include everything from slips, to hose, to jewellery. It helps!

Payd:)

Somewhere, someone mentioned bringing one of those over-the-door hanging shoe holders--not necessarily for just shoes, but for things like your sunblock, sunglasses, camera, small odds and ends, etc. Is that a good idea? How much flat space is available to put things on in your average stateroom?

I found one of those shoe hangers for a dollar in one of those dollar stores--my husband thinks I'm nuts.

I have used the shoe hanger thingie on a cruise where I had a travel buddy and it worked out great for us. We each had someplace to store stuff so it wasn't all over the bathroom counter (such as it is). When I cruise alone, I really don't think I need one as there is plenty of space for one person's stuff.

Something I can't live without on a cruise huh? Probably my travel alarm clock. I tend to take lots of naps and wouldn't want to miss a dinner now would I? :D

The other item I never travel without is the shoe holder that hangs in the closet and gives you about 10 compartments. I use this to hold small clothing items like panties, bras, slips and nylons, scarfs, bathing suits, etc. That way I use the drawer and cupboard space for larger pieces of clothing. It folds flat in my suitcase and I think I paid 2.50 for it at Walgreens or Ross. I even take it with me when I travel on business or vacation.

Archived