What is Tampa's port like for getting on the ship?

spirite

Hi. We are departing from Tampa on Royal Caribbean's GOS next year. Does anyone know what Tampa's port is like for getting on the ship? Is it easy to get luggage handed over? Are the check-in lines long?

Also, does anyone know a good reliable transfer company who can get us from Disney in Orlando to Tampa?

TIA!

• 1 month later...

The Port of Tampa is not that big, and I've never had any issues with departing or arriving. It's not a big player for RCCL, which is sad, because it's got so much going for it. We're going on the Grandeur next November to show our support for this lovely port!

Around the area is a large Retail/Dining area called Channelside, and there's also the Florida Aquarium. If you're driving, they have separate long-term parking for each of the terminals, based on the terminal you'll be leaving from, although some of the terminals (I think terminals 2 and 3) share parking with short-term parking for Channelside. Plenty of drop off space for shuttle service/etc.

I've not had to wait very long in Tampa, and there are porters to assist with luggage, making it easy to check your baggage and check in. I'd say the longest wait for check in was around 25 minutes, and that's because there were some IT type of issues that couldn't have been helped.

From my point of view, I've never had a problem finding parking, even on a Saturday afternoon/evening, in short-term parking. I've never seen any issues in long-term parking either, although for $10/day, it could be cheaper to take a cab.

Speaking of cabs, if you're flying into TPA, it's a flat $22 to Channelside/Port.

Depending on time of day, it could take 10 minutes or it could take 45 minutes. However, expect an average trip of about 20-30 minutes to be on the safe side.

There's not a huge market for transfers between Tampa and Orlando, outside of a scheduled transfer to/from Busch Gardens and Universal Studios. I know of several companies who offer this service, but I could not recommend one to you.

Instead, I would suggest doing a one-way rental from Walt Disney World (and if you're staying on site, Alamo/National has an center near the Car Care Center by the Magic Kingdom, and a smaller site near the Swan/Dolphin). It's a fairly straight shot down I-4. If you drop it off at the Tampa airport, there's shuttle service to the port for many places. Ask in advance, though, and give yourself a few hours since I-4 can be a little dysfunctional at times. With coupons abound, and the market for rental cars, you should be able to find something around $30/day with taxes and fees. A private shuttle may cost about $150+. :eek:

If train service was better (and the Central Florida High-Speed Rail didn't get shot down), I'd suggest that. Alas, it's not something I'd suggest if you aren't going at least the day before.

Enjoy your cruise!

-Steve

It depends on what part of Orlando, actually. One side of Orlando to another can take 30+ minutes to drive.

If you're coming from the West side (which would be like Walt Disney World, Lake Buena Vista, or Kissimmee), you're looking at about a 70 mile drive to the Port of Tampa. I live near I-75 and the I-4 junction, and it's about a 65 mile drive to Walt Disney World.

On a good day, during non rush hour times, it takes an hour. With traffic, bad weather, accidents, and/or active construction, it could take up to two hours. However, an hour and a half is a good estimate.

If you're coming from the Universal Studios area, add on another 10 miles and 20 minutes of time.

If you're coming from Oviedo, Winter Park, Altamonte Springs, or the Orlando International Airport, add another 15-30 miles, and another 30-60 minutes.

You might get there sooner, but as most central Florida people will tell you, I-4 is never predictable.

Hope this helps!

-Steve

Archived