Warning About Holland America's Non-Refunable Insurance

katiebeth

We cruise frequently and are loyal Celebrity cruisers. We decided to try Holland America because we liked their 7 night Westerdam cruise to the Eastern Caribbean during Thanksgiving week of this year.

We booked the cruise in Feb. of this year directly through Holland America. Unfortunately, my husband has had some work issues come up and he is not able to be out of the office the entire week of Thanksgiving.

S0....I picked up the phone an reluntantly called Holland America this morning to cancel as final payment was due Sept. 4th. I wanted to make sure we cancelled before then. Well .....much to my surprise, I found out that the deposit that we made was refundable but the $536 we paid for insurance through Holland America was not.

I had assumed that their policy was the same as Celebrity's in that you don't pay for the insurance until the time of final payment. (we always take out insurance thru Celebrity). This totally makes since because there is no risk assumed by the insurance carrier until that time

as the penalty phase has not yet begun.

It was a very expensive lesson that I learned and wanted to pass it on to my fellow Celebrity cruisers. As I said, we cruise often and I consider myself a fairly "savy" cruiser (thanks to these boards), but was totally caught off guard by this policy. I am hoping that by posting this information, someone else will be saved from the same fate.

It really seems to be a bit of a scam. I paid an insurance premium and the insurance carrier assumed no risk whatsoever. Not only was I not in the penalty phase, but since we won't be on the cruise, there is no risk for missed flight, medical attention or evacuation, lost luggage, etc.

I learned a very expensive lesson today. I hope I spare someone else from the same painful lesson.

Happy Sailing,

Nancy

P.S. I guess this is what I get for straying .....LOL!!!!

That is not so unusual. Even though we sail with Celebrity, we use a third party insurance provider. (Access America). In order for pre-existing conditions to be covered, you must purchase the insurance policy at the time the cruise is booked. If you have to cancel the cruise, you have a year to transfer the policy to another cruise.

I always book insurance when I book the holiday. Not with X but with a holiday insurance company. In the UK the deposit is not refundable but if you need to cancel for medical reasons then the holiday insurance will pay out less the excess of usually £35-50

We here are so unused to the benifit you have in being able to cancel up to the time of full payment. Don't ever think they will allow us the same advantage you have.

Sue

I just wanted to report back that a poster on the Holland America boards, told me that I should be able to transfer the insurance at the time of cancellation if I were to re-book another cruise with them. So .....I called Holland America back and explained to the agent that when I cancelled this morning I was not informed that booking another cruise and transfering the insurance was an option.

She said that was correct and talked with a supervisor to see if I could do it at this point (a couple hours after the cancellation). They said yes, so I booked a Thanksgiving cruise for 2008 on the brand new Eurodam. I always love sailing new ships, so it worked out nicely.

thanks to those who took the time to post. These boards are great!!

Nancy

I just wanted to report back that a poster on the Holland America boards, told me that I should be able to transfer the insurance at the time of cancellation if I were to re-book another cruise with them. So .....I called Holland America back and explained to the agent that when I cancelled this morning I was not informed that booking another cruise and transfering the insurance was an option.

She said that was correct and talked with a supervisor to see if I could do it at this point (a couple hours after the cancellation). They said yes, so I booked a Thanksgiving cruise for 2008 on the brand new Eurodam. I always love sailing new ships, so it worked out nicely.

Nancy

I'm glad it worked out for you Nancy!

Nancy

Hi again, and glad I could help. I'm over on this bb trying to get info on the Century. These boards are great. Btw, there are tons of threads on HAL regarding the new ship including photos of it being built, I think.

Nancy

Hi Nancy !

I am sorry I am just reading the thread now. I know that HAL's insurance can be moved to another sailing. I would have told you to get right back on the phone with them :). As you said, it is non-refundable though. I am glad that others pointed out that it is transferrable, and you solved your problem.

Enjoy your Cruise !

Archived