Fear of Flying

gointostpete

Is there anyone out there who is normally a fearful flyer yet has done one of the flight-seeing or helicopter tours in Alaska? Everyone always describes them as one of the most amazing experiences of their life, but I am reluctant because I am not a comfortable flyer under the best of circumstances. I do fly because I like to travel, but I never enjoy it, and I have a mild anxiety attack if I see that my arrangements include a flight on anything smaller than a 737. Has anyone been in my shoes but done it anyway?

Is there anyone out there who is normally a fearful flyer yet has done one of the flight-seeing or helicopter tours in Alaska? Everyone always describes them as one of the most amazing experiences of their life, but I am reluctant because I am not a comfortable flyer under the best of circumstances. I do fly because I like to travel, but I never enjoy it, and I have a mild anxiety attack if I see that my arrangements include a flight on anything smaller than a 737. Has anyone been in my shoes but done it anyway?

That's one fear I never even try to overcome. When I was standing on the balcony in a high-rise building, there was a voice in my back of head "what if I lost my mind and jump out of building?", more or less like an anxiety attack. Anyhow, my fear of flying and hight keeps me grounded except for commercial flight I had to take. :o

I used to work for a tour company and flew constantly, but about 20 years ago I suddenly developed a fear of flying. As another post said, I like to experience new places and knew my fear was unreasonable, so flew anyway until I had a full blown anxiety attack. My chest felt tight, I felt as if I couldn't breathe, and I got dizzy. Now my doctor knows about my fear and she prescribes an anti-anxiety medication (she only gives me 6 small pills per trip and I cut them in half anyway) that I take a half hour before take-offs and landings. That has solved the problem for me. Perhaps if you discussed your fear with your doctor you would be a candidate for the same treatment. The medication doesn't make me drowsy---just takes the edge off my fear enough to relax. We're taking a floatplane trip next week on our cruisetour, and I have my little pill to give me the courage I lack! Have fun!

Just my opinion: If you are that afraid of being on anything smaller than a 737, you should pass on any floatplane/heli excursions. I don't have flying fears and did the heli to glacier, which indeed was extraordinary, but not worth it if your anxiety level is so high. There are so many other things you can do for an amazing experience. The hike and float Chilkoot Trail was the highlight for us.

Aloha, Logan

We were in Alaska in July. My wife has never really been thrilled with flying and finally talked to her doctor and now flies air Zanex. The reality is that she has weaned herself down and at times does not even have to take any. She mustered up the courage to take a float plane trip to Misty Fjords, with Michelle from Island Wings, and said it was the highlight of her trip and she would absolutely do it again. Another in our party was the same and he echoed the same sentiments. And they did not take any pills! They were both amazed how smoothe the take off and landings were and since she had the back seat she had an unobscured view which did not make her feel closed in. Fear of flying is as easy to fix as a painless root canal. If you chose not to talk to the doctor about it you will miss out on a lot.

My answer is Ativan(sp?)..:)

I am a fearful flyer and did have an anxiety attack when I flew in a small plane....There are some antianxiety meds you can take that work...I took some on my last trip and flew just fine..

Thank you for the encouragement. I probably overstated my anxiety level in my first post. I do have some of those little white pills, but I can't say as I ever noticed any difference, so I don't generally bother. I think the anticipation is worse than the actual event - once I'm on the plane and there is no turning back, I am pretty much fine. If you were seated next to me on a plane, you probably wouldn't even notice my nervousness (except I get very fidgety during turbulence). I just can't seem to make myself take the actual step of booking something. Maybe what I am really looking for is someone to say "Oh my God, it was the absolute best experience of my life and if you don't do it you will regret being a weenie for the rest of your life!"

okay, I'll say it -

"Oh my God, it was the absolute best experience of my life and if you don't do it you will regret being a weenie for the rest of your life!"

Unless you really freak out, do it. Take a pill and enjoy the ride - you will be glad you did. Once in the air, the views will make you completely forget where you are. If this is a once-in-a-lifetime trip - DO IT!

Good luck and BOOK THE FLIGHT!

Several years ago, on our first cruise to Alaska, my DH and friends kept trying to talk me into doing a helicopter tour of the back country ice fields and glaciers out of Juneau. I had been a white knuckle flyer, and the CD kept refering to the trip as the Indiana Jones flight. Well, I finally decided to go, but I have to admit I was scared to death as we boarded our helicopter. I asked to sit in the middle seat in the back, so I felt a bit more secure. At first I was a wee bit frightened as we took off, but as we banked and flew up over the mountains and then down the other side, I grew very calm and was so caught up with the beautiful scenery we were seeing that I forgot to be afraid. My husband said I was grinning. We saw the most breathtaking sights, and landed on a glacier way in the back country. It was awesome. By the time we flew back to Juneau, I was disappointed that the flight was over. Would I do it again? Probably, but next time over a volcano in Hawaii.

Good luck with your decision.

• 2 weeks later...
okay, I'll say it -

"Oh my God, it was the absolute best experience of my life and if you don't do it you will regret being a weenie for the rest of your life!"

Unless you really freak out, do it. Take a pill and enjoy the ride - you will be glad you did. Once in the air, the views will make you completely forget where you are. If this is a once-in-a-lifetime trip - DO IT!

Good luck and BOOK THE FLIGHT!

Yep, exactly what the above poster said. I took the pill and enjoyed that amazing flight so close to Denali you could almost reach out and touch Her. I've never seen the sky so blue....

Go. You'll be glad.

Linda

I'm another that was a white-knuckle flyer. Now my doctor gives me three valium pills before a trip. I use one to, and one fro, and have an extra in case of cancellations or other problems which could delay the flight. It's such a great way to take the edge off without feeling hungover.

I used to worry for days about flying-now I don't really give it a second thought.

how safe is it to fly those small planes? I am not afraid of flying, but a little concerned about the safety record of those small plane operators. is there any place where we can look up the pilot's flight record and history? I am not talking about record of big accidents. I want to know whether they keep their plane well maintained, the past penalty or warning from FAA inspection, etc

My DH booked us on a heli-hike in Skagway for next Tuesday. I am a bit of a white-knuckle flyer and I don't have any meds (wish I had thought of that sooner). Anyway I'll let you know how it goes. The posts here have been very encouraging I am hoping it is the trip of my life.

I, too, hate to fly. I decided a few years ago that I had to deal with it or I was going to miss out on so much. So I fly.

After reading these boards, we even booked flight-seeing trips to Misty Fjords and McKinley summit. Yes, I took 3 Xanax for each. But frankly, I am not sure if they helped or were even needed. Most of my worry time is before we go....so I simply refused to even think about it until it was time to fly. I told myself, once I got there, I could get in the plane or not. It would be my choice and I could make it then. Of course, I got in.

What I did notice is that 1) the small planes take off and land so much smoother than big planes, and 2) the sights are so amazing that once you are up there, nothing else seems to matter. I even climbed into the copilot seat on the flight back with Michelle. When I commented on how much smoother her takeoffs and landings were versus big planes, she just laughed and said "I tell people that, but they never believe me until they get here...."

Archived