Rain, rain and more rain!!!

boneslides

check "merrills", DH loves his...they are made for outdoors, but i sprayed his old ones wiith waterproofing, just in case. sometimes you can get lucky to find last year's style on sale.

i had some waterproof shoes i found at a BASS outlet store. i worked there at the time, so they were on sale for 1/2 off and then i had my employee discount. love them for my wide, wide foot...so comfortable.

they are a little like a ankle-hi leather boot, but waterproof and non-skid soles. i fall down a lot and need the good soles. the sporting good shops, like Bass pro shop and sportman's paradise or sportman's warehouse, have waterproof shoes, also.

Just back today from beautiful Alaska! It rained everyday...except for yesterday when we were leaving! But regardless we had a wonderful time. We left on the 1st on the Diamond Princess. It honestly did rain everyday....but I had my Gortex rain coat and my Lands End waterproof shoes and with layers, I was absolutely fine. We had a ball.....only one slight mishap....in Skagway we had rented a car from avis. There were 7 of us so they were able to give us a mini van...at mile 5 of Murrays guide....1st scenic overlook.....we got back in and FLAT TIRE! :eek: so there are 7 tourists on the side of a hill in the rain...luckily we had 1 cell phone that would get through so they eventually bought us another van....we then had to turn around though because the fog was so bad the visibility was next to zero and my DH didn't feel comfortable with 6 others in the car....we turned around, ate lunch at the Red Onion and gave it another try ....this time, it was better and on the other side of the mountain it was clear and beautiful. The only disappointment was that Carcross...Caracol...was closed up. No ice cream or doggies!:( but the scenery more than made up for it! Whale watching with Capt. Larry was an amazing experience and one that I would recommend to anyone....we saw lots of whales and very playful ones along with my first sightings of Eagles! how amazing. In Ketchikan my DH and another fellow went fishing with Jim Meacham...they had a blast, each catching several salmon. The girls and I went on the walking tour and went to view the totum poles....yes, in the rain. Honestly, my favorite part was seeing the salmon as they tried to make it up the ladder. We drove all day in the rain on the 8th up to Denali where it finally subsided, but the next day for our Wonder Lake tour, it again was overcast and rained off and on....still, an amazing experience and what a waste of money is the Natural History tour....we saw bear, caribou, moose, dall sheep, snowshoe bunnies, beavers and several birds. We didn't see Mt. McKinley until yesterday as we were leaving. It naturally cleared up and was a beautiful 65 out as we wondered in the park and drove to Talketna. We had a amazing trip despite the rain....so will you, just be prepared for it, but one hint...DON'T TAKE UMBRELLAS! get a good raincoat with a hood with a bill and you will be fine....it is so cumbersome with those umbrellas as I witnessed people trying to maneuver them. I got great pictures, even in the rain. Just be prepared to have fun and witness some of the most breathtaking scenery you will ever see. I will go back.

Archived