Connecting staterooms

mcpackage

I'm a seasoned cruiser and a avid surfer through Cruise Critic, but am new to the message boards, so hello to all!

Just wondering if anyone might have any insight regarding connecting staterooms on board the Journey. My parents are sailing with my husband and I in October for Bermuda, and I had booked our cruise months ago specifying two connecting veranda staterooms. I had booked these cabins in the hope that we would have the same opportunity that we had on board the Norwegian Dawn in 2005, where we were able to remove the divider between the balconies. Just wondering if "connecting staterooms" might also mean removable balcony dividers?

Thanks!

I think I have read on these boards that the dividers CAN be opened between the balconies of connecting staterooms. We will be cruising on Journey Sept 8 and have connecting staterooms with family members.

Will let you know when we get back if the balconies could be connected. Sorry - When on vacation I don't do e-mail, so you'll have to wait until we get back!:o

Yes - others have posted that it is indeed possible, but they were given a hard time about it from the staff. After checking it out myself on the 8/11 sailing - I can see why. There is a special allen wrench that is required to 'unlock' the large plexiglass barrier between the two connecting verandahs. That's not the problem. The plastic 'wall' is heavy and huge - and I don't see where it could be stored for the duration of the cruise, unless it is brought below-decks to some out-of-the-way storage area.

You might be able to get it done - but I would imagine the crew would figure out creative ways of saying 'no'. Having said that - we did not ask for it to be done - so you might be pleasantly surprised. Good luck!

Thank you both for the scoop on the balcony dividers! I recall on the Norwegian Dawn they also had to use a special sort of wrench too to open the walls up.

Maybe if I'm really nice, ask very politely and hold up a nice tip in my hand they won't give me too hard of a time about removing the divider......:)

• 2 weeks later...

On our Sep 8 cruise I asked our "butler" to have opened the divider between the balconies and he told us that the divider could not be open when the ship was sailing. When we got to St. George's the divider was opened and stayed open until we got back to Bayonne, hnece WAS opend on the trip home. Hmmm.

It was very convenient for the four of us to meet out on the balcony for cocktails and conversation.

The dividing door between the staterooms was almost impossible to open, and with the size of the staterooms, the small sofa had to be in front of the door so this was not very convenient.

FYI, it seems that almost all balconies can be opened between two adjoining rooms, even if there is not an interior adjoining door.

Thank you CrabbyHarper for the scoop on the dividers! It's great to know that they can be removed, I will be sure to give my hubby and my parents the info. I agree with you, it is definitely convenient for cruise companions to meet out on the balconies for cocktails and conversation. And considering all four of us enjoy both, we should have a great time!

I read your post on your trip, glad to hear you had a good time on the Journey. We are looking forward to experiencing it ourselves when we board on October 6th. Thanks again for your insight! :)

Hi Vicki,

Thanks for letting me know about the roll call, I just went to check it out. I had no idea there was even a roll call section, can you tell I'm very new to this site?:)

From what I read, it looks like there will be a gathering for fellow cruise critic cruisers Sunday (day at sea) at 11 am? If so, we'll try to make our way over there.

Mcpackage,

Glad you found the other board. You have it right and we would love to have you there. Please join us in the Cova at 11am on Sunday. May I suggest that you double check on the roll call board that every is the same in the next two weeks as that is where you will get the info as to our gathering. The more the merrier. Look forward to meeting you and the rest of the Cruise Critic folks.icon12.gif

Vicki

Archived