First Timer Questions

rookie1920

Hello All,

I am about to go on my first cruise at the end of september on the legend, I cant wait! I had a few questions that i hope you all can help me with. Thanks.

1) Formal Attire - dont worry, im not going to ask if i can "get away" with wearing something other than a suit. What i want to know is how many people actually wear a dark colored suit, like the policy states. I have 2 suits, one is dark and the other is light (beige). I didnt know if people wear the same suit on both formal nights, or what? If wearing a light colored suit is no problem, then i am fine. But of course this would mean i have to pack 2 dress shoes, which i am trying to avoid. How many of you have worn the same suit both times? Is that tacky?

2) My wife and I are both in our late 20's and we picked Carnival because if its "fun" reputation and the fact that it attracts alot of young couples. Obviously, it varies from cruise to cruise, but can you provide some feedback on what the mix of age groups are on past cruises with Carnival. I am hoping there wont be many kids since school is in in september. What about seniors, would my cruise be a "hot" time for them? We are hoping to have many other young couples to mingle with.

3) Alcohol - I have read many times that people bring some liquor in their checked bags, has anyone actually been caught doing this? I.E, you put it in your checked bag and they came back and confronted you about it later?

4) Any words of advice about Carnival, the legend, or feedback on any recent trips on the legend are appreciated. Thanks again everyone.

Hello All,

I am about to go on my first cruise at the end of september on the legend, I cant wait! I had a few questions that i hope you all can help me with. Thanks.

1) Formal Attire - dont worry, im not going to ask if i can "get away" with wearing something other than a suit. What i want to know is how many people actually wear a dark colored suit, like the policy states. I have 2 suits, one is dark and the other is light (beige). I didnt know if people wear the same suit on both formal nights, or what? If wearing a light colored suit is no problem, then i am fine. But of course this would mean i have to pack 2 dress shoes, which i am trying to avoid. How many of you have worn the same suit both times? Is that tacky?

I usually take one suit (dark) with two shirts and two different ties, not at all what I would consider tacky...tyring to pack as light as possible

2) My wife and I are both in our late 20's and we picked Carnival because if its "fun" reputation and the fact that it attracts alot of young couples. Obviously, it varies from cruise to cruise, but can you provide some feedback on what the mix of age groups are on past cruises with Carnival. I am hoping there wont be many kids since school is in in september. What about seniors, would my cruise be a "hot" time for them? We are hoping to have many other young couples to mingle with.

Every age group is generally well reresented on the cruises that I have been on, good rule of thumb, the longer the cruise the older median age of the pax.

3) Alcohol - I have read many times that people bring some liquor in their checked bags, has anyone actually been caught doing this? I.E, you put it in your checked bag and they came back and confronted you about it later?

Done it many times and never had a problem, have even taken on in my carry on that has been x-rayed...no problem yet...;)

4) Any words of advice about Carnival, the legend, or feedback on any recent trips on the legend are appreciated. Thanks again everyone.

Have not sailed the Legend, but my advice....pack light, have fun, and get involved...you will most likely never see any of your fellow pax again so who cares if you make a fool of yourself! :D

Welcome to the boards!

Hello All,

Pack the light suit and 2 shirts. Just don't get it too sweaty:eek: .

While seniors tend to favor off peak times of year, I have observed fewer oldsters head to "hot" destinations like the caribbean, and more go to places like Bermuda and New England/Canada.

I have never heard of a small amount of liquor being confiscated in checked bags by Carnival. Keep it reasonable and be ok with it possibly being taken. Of course, you can take one bottle of wine per person "legally" on board.

Hello All,

1) Formal Attire - dont worry, im not going to ask if i can "get away" with wearing something other than a suit.

What i want to know is how many people actually wear a dark colored suit, like the policy states. I have 2 suits, one is dark and the other is light (beige). I didnt know if people wear the same suit on both formal nights, or what? If wearing a light colored suit is no problem, then i am fine. But of course this would mean i have to pack 2 dress shoes, which i am trying to avoid. How many of you have worn the same suit both times? Is that tacky?

I love that you said that :D You can wear that light suit twice, maybe a different shirt and tie, but your going to look fabulous.

Hello All,

1) As other have said - 1 suit with 2 shirts and 2 ties and you should be good to go; worst case - you can have your suit dry cleaned while on the ship

2) I've been on Carnival, Princess and RCCL - I would say Carnival has the "youngest vibe" more in terms of attitude than actual age. Meaning a lot of folks in their 20s on princess were more formal than the 50 year olds we say on carnival (I hope that makes senses)

3) not big drinkers so can't help you much on this one - we usually take about 30 bottles of water and a 6-12 individual bottles of ice tea and have never had a problem. We've carried on and checked. No worries. I think the sheer # of bags they have doesn't make it worth while to follow up. Let's just say my opionion of ship xray folks is a few rungs below airport secruity. Concerned about guns - not wasting time with a few bottles of booze

4) IMO Carnival offers a wide variety of activities during the day - don't be afraid to try things and see if you like them. For example - I'd never play bingo at home but love it on the ship (have yet to win anything)

Enjoy your cruise!

Hi, and welcome to the boards.:) I happen to be one of those 'seasoned citizens'...mid sixties, and my preferred time of the year to cruise in September. Mainly because most kiddies will be back in school! I've always seen a good mix of ages - many your age and about the same of my age, as well as in between.

You'll enjoy the cruise, I'm sure. Many things to occupy you, if you want, or just enjoy being lazy in the sun.

A few hints: Have your meals in the dining room. B'fast and lunch are much better than what they offer on Lido buffets...plus you can have comp espresso and cappuccino in the dining room.:)

Hello All,

1) A tie and slacks appears to be acceptable now,just look up online and you will see.

2) babies to 80 year olds

3) Yes, I got caught and had to go to security,but they had my other bags as well because of diving gear.I only got caught one other time on another line but got away with it over two dozen times.

4)have fun

Great choice of ship, the Legend is still my all time favorite ship (Mariner runs a very close second). I love cruising in September, but be prepared, it's usually HOT HOT HOT that time of year.

We sailed Legend during it's inaugural year. I have to say, the passengers were the oldest people we've ever sailed with, strikingly so. We were in our late 30's, and some of the youngest people on the ship. But, I've talked with others who have sailed recently, and it seems the pax have been a bit younger lately. We still had fun, but our particular cruise missed some of that "party" atmosphere.

I don't know anyone who has ever had alcohol removed from their checked luggage, and we usually travel with a huge bunch of friends and family, several times per year.

Enjoy the Legend!

Archived