Anyone been on the Arcadia lately ?

I-Cruise

I have booked a cruise on the Arcadia and have enjoyed reading the forums but would like someone who has recently been on the ship to answer a few questions please as I'm confused about the alcohol policies and restaurant service as I've read some conflicting things on the boards:

1. Which dinner sitting is most popular ?

2. Do they add a service charge to drinks bills ?

3. Can you purchase alcohol in the duty free shops and take it straight to your cabin or does it get sent to your cabin on the last night ?

4. Likewise if you purchase alcohol ashore does it get confiscated at the gangway?

5. Is the main restaurant still silver service ?

6. Are 'black & white' and 'tropical' theme evenings on a formal night or casual night and do many people join in with this? Black & white is simple but what do people wear on tropical night ? Any pictures ?

Many Thanks! Sorry to ask so many quetions in one thread!

I have booked a cruise on the Arcadia and have enjoyed reading the forums but would like someone who has recently been on the ship to answer a few questions please as I'm confused about the alcohol policies and restaurant service as I've read some conflicting things on the boards:

3. Can you purchase alcohol in the duty free shops and take it straight to your cabin or does it get sent to your cabin on the last night ?

4. Likewise if you purchase alcohol ashore does it get confiscated at the gangway?

6. Are 'black & white' and 'tropical' theme evenings on a formal night or casual night and do many people join in with this? Black & white is simple but what do people wear on tropical night ? Any pictures ?

I can answer the last and ask friends about the rest but you will probably have the answers sooner.

Formal is formal. 14 day cruise and you can expect 4 for DJ/Tuxedo. As you rightly surmise B&W is simple for men (just wear a white shirt with the DJ) and the little black dress for the lady. You can balance the B&W a bit more by wearing a white tuxedo jacket/white shawl as appropriate.

Tropical theme is quite the reverse and casual in the extreme. You would wear a shirt/dress that at home you may only wear on a trip to the bathroom in the dark.

An hawaiin shirt would not be inappropriate. My SinL bought a dress in a small shop near a market at one port of call. Very cheap and surprisingly good (but see bathroom remark).

One reason for these tropical themes is to 'help' you put a little money into the local economy. As it is probably worn once you do not have to go to a department store and buy a label.

I spoke with my friend who came off Arcadia last month.

The 2nd sitting is more popular.

There is no service charge added to the drinks.

You cannot bring duty free from the onboard shop to your cabin.

You cannot bring alcohol from ashore (although we had no problem in 2005).

The main restaurant is silver service.

I was also told that in 2008 you will not be able to bring wine on board at the start of the voyage either.

Enjoy your trip :(

Just as an aside to the Duty Free:

A brochure was published earlier this year, that stated you could not bring duty free on board bought ashore. Questions were asked of P&O and the response was that you could bring it on board, unless it was in excessive amounts. Certainly, I've not heard anything different since. Have relatives on Artemis, the week before we go, so may be able to confirm for sure. No mention of not being able to bring duty free on board is made in the departure info I have from P&O.

You won't be able to buy from the duty free shop for your cabin, but you should be able to order a bottle via your steward at the same price. I have done this on previous cruises when leaving Southampton, but I will confirm.

Further to the above, I found this over on Cruise Connections:

"There was a new rule brought in this year that allows P&O to reserve the right to remove alcohol brought on by passengers in the interests of passenger and crew safety.

What this amounts to would be if a passenger was clearly seriously intoxicated, if they were attempting to bring it on "wholesale" or were under-age.

P&O still publish in the onboard daily newsletter that passengers will be charged £7.50 corkage for consumption of BYO wines and spirits in public areas of the ship."

Thanks as ever to DK for his help on that one!

Ta, no sweat. Just the original question left the dates open.

On the Arcadia I bought a bottle of rum and brought it on board no problems. Then reality set in and I realised I would not be drinking Caribbean rum punch in a grey British winter to I ditched it.:)

sorry was replying to the original question rather than your response. Didn't mean to question your answer

PN

Have not seen anything myself, so it will do no harm to ask in a couple of weeks time, if only to satisfy my own curiosity. It won't really affect me, as I don't drink vast amounts of wine, and my SOH doesn't drink at all, so if I have any wine, it will be off the wine list. I do know a few people who tend to BYOB, so it will affect them if it is correct.

BTW-did you ditch the rum in the correct manner? i.e. open mouth, pour down throat? ;)

Well I was onboard 8 weeks ago, and all is the same as last year:

You cannot bring duty free from the onboard shop to your cabin.

yes, you can

You cannot bring alcohol from ashore (although we had no problem in 2005).

yes, you can

I bought a litre of beefeater Gin for just £7.95 from poolside special offer desk, all ok taken to cabin (same price as Gib)

I bought a litre of Jack Daniels £11, from Gib and took it to my cabin.

We also took on at embarkation a winebox of Chardonny, and a bottle of Champagne, and a Lg Barcardi Breezer no probs.

As previously mentioned I think they are only concerned about people bringing on excessive amounts of alcohol (they should look to the staff for that by the way, we were on a shuttle bus with some young waiters/stewards with bag fulls of beer and lager from the local Carrefour in Barcelona) And pax coming onboard intoxicated.

This info was printed in the 2008 brochure, so perhaps they are being leiniant to people on 2007 cruises, as , after all, we booked under the 2007 booking conditions?

Time will tell for 2008.

I am on Aurora tomorrow will report back if anything has changed atall

Sue

Libra

Are they still doing the mixer offer? Buy 9 and get 3 free?

Pontius

I remember someone in our party once, in the Dominican Republic some years back, having some shots of the real strong stuff and retiring to their room. We didn't see them for two days!

Hi PN,

We just got off Arcadia on 20th August so very recent.

You certainly can buy liquor onboard ship (from both duty free and the Neptune bar as we did) and take it back to your cabin.

You can buy liquor ashore (as Libralass says, Gib is very cheap - £6.95 for a litre of Barcardi and a litre of Famous Grouse) and take it back to your cabin.

2nd sitting appears to be the most desired as 6.30 dining is very early for many people.

Still silver service in Meridian but not sure what others feel but for us with only a 9.5 month gap between 2 Arcadia cruises, both the quality of the food and service had deteriorated (we may just have been unlucky).

No champers any longer at the Commodores and officers night welcome bash (it was offered last October). Drinks offered, were a gin and tonic, whisky and ginger, red and white wine or soft drinks.

Attended a private function where canapes were bought and paid for but never arrived:-( (rather poor) whereas last year, these were in abundance.

Definately noticed some cutbacks, albeit minor but cutbacks all the same.

With kind regards,

Barbarella

We sailed on Arcadia in January (Barbados to New Orleans) and had a great time. Loved the ship. As for taking your own drink on board, we had no problem whatsoever in taking our own litre of gin to our cabin for our nightly snifter and our steward kept us provided with ice and the bar stewards were only too happy to provide us with a glass of lemon slices every couple of nights. So enjoy your cruise and cheers!

Hi I Cruise,

I am just back from Oceana on Saturday, Here are the answers to your questions.

Apart from the Silver service, all of the answers cover the whole fleet.

1. Generally second sitting although on some sailings first is most popular.

2. Not as far as I know and the booze prices are on the low side compared with other ships. However you do not now need to tip your wine waiter/waitress.

3. Yes and yes. But no point your cabin steward will get it for you with mixers and ice and lemon for the G&T's. 1 ltr. bottle of Gordons Gin £11.00. (yes the mixers are 12 for the price of 9)

4. As has been said only if you are rolling drunk and could cause danger or a nuisance.

5. Yes on all ships except Oceana where it is plated service. After having experienced this it was not an issue with us.

6. B&W on formal, and Tropical on Smart Casual. Both very well observed. The louder the shirt the better. For pictures try my link below to J625 on Arcadia.

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

Hi PN,

We just got off Arcadia on 20th August so very recent.

You certainly can buy liquor onboard ship (from both duty free and the Neptune bar as we did) and take it back to your cabin.

You can buy liquor ashore (as Libralass says, Gib is very cheap - £6.95 for a litre of Barcardi and a litre of Famous Grouse) and take it back to your cabin.

2nd sitting appears to be the most desired as 6.30 dining is very early for many people.

Still silver service in Meridian but not sure what others feel but for us with only a 9.5 month gap between 2 Arcadia cruises, both the quality of the food and service had deteriorated (we may just have been unlucky).

No champers any longer at the Commodores and officers night welcome bash (it was offered last October). Drinks offered, were a gin and tonic, whisky and ginger, red and white wine or soft drinks.

Attended a private function where canapes were bought and paid for but never arrived:-( (rather poor) whereas last year, these were in abundance.

Definately noticed some cutbacks, albeit minor but cutbacks all the same.

With kind regards,

Barbarella

We felt the same when we were last on Acadia (april 07), that the service and the standard of the food was not as good as in November last year, that said it was still a great cruise, and the food was, I think, better than in Dec 05, when the ship was still bedding in

the food was, I think, better than in Dec 05, when the ship was still bedding in

Ah, same cruise? East Carib from Fort Lauderdale? We though the was fine, only our second cruise then, but the ship a little bland and not quite all together. We had met the commissioning purser after she had moved from Arcadia. She said we would love it or hate it - no middle ground.

As you say, bedding in.

Archived