Internet package

BearHug

We are Princess' cruisers with Platinum status. For our upcoming trip, all four of us will be in the same cabin. Does the complimentary internet package apply to each one of us or just the first two passengers in the cabin? and how do we redeem for this? Thank you in advance for your answer(s).

We are Princess' cruisers with Platinum status. For our upcoming trip, all four of us will be in the same cabin. Does the complimentary internet package apply to each one of us or just the first two passengers in the cabin? and how do we redeem for this? Thank you in advance for your answer(s).

Each Platinum status passenger gets his/her own allotment, but I do hope you know that the internet is no longer totally complimentary. Unless of course you're in a full suite. What you receive is credit towards an internet package. You are given $75 for voyages of 7 days or less, $100 for voyages of 8-20 days and $200 for cruises over 21 days. This breaks down to 50 cents per minute and those minutes really add up when the connection is slow.

Pia

Each adult that is platinum or elite gets their own internet allowance from which you can purchase an internet package and the amount of your allowance will be deducted from your bill.

The allowance increases with the length of the voyage.

See the Princess website under Captain's Circle then Membership benefits, then Platinum.

It is supposed to be for each Platinum member in your cabin.

Your first night on-board you should get a letter to each of you telling you about the internet package. All each of you has to do is go to the Internet Cafe and select a package - you have to log in with your cruise card and purchase a package equal to your free perks (either $75 or $100 depending on the cruise length). Then each time you log in on the computer with your cruise card, the minutes in your package are used. Make sure you log off when done - it will tell you how many minutes you have left.

Princess will then credit your account for the Platinum perk you are qualified for. I went by the desk and checked my account the next day, and I had already received the credit to my account.

You can't take the other people's free minutes and put them on your account - if you want to use theirs, then you'll need access to their cruise cards.

It is supposed to be for each Platinum member in your cabin.

Your first night on-board you should get a letter to each of you telling you about the internet package. All each of you has to do is go to the Internet Cafe and select a package - you have to log in with your cruise card and purchase a package equal to your free perks (either $75 or $100 depending on the cruise length). Then each time you log in on the computer with your cruise card, the minutes in your package are used. Make sure you log off when done - it will tell you how many minutes you have left.

Princess will then credit your account for the Platinum perk you are qualified for. I went by the desk and checked my account the next day, and I had already received the credit to my account.

You can't take the other people's free minutes and put them on your account - if you want to use theirs, then you'll need access to their cruise cards.

I was on the Caribbean in June and did not have to purchase anything. I just logged on, used whatever minutes I used and logged off. I did keep track of minutes used, since between hubby and I we "only" had 300 minutes with our $150 allocation. We'll be on the Diamond in a few weeks and this time we get 500 minutes. Whoopee! I spend too much time on the net as it is.

Pia

I'd encourage you to read the details RE: the new policy VERY carefully and be sure you understand it....I recalled a mailing about the new policy, but did not remember the details, so I inquired at the pursar's desk on our recent cruise.

Well, the answer I got was correct, but incomplete & very misleading. I was simply told that the credit ($100 for 10-day cruise) would automtically appear on my shipboard account, that I didn't have to do anything. What I was not told & did not learn until several days into the cruise was that the recommended way to maximize the value of the Platinum internet credit is to purchase a package first for the full value of your credit...."Package minutes" are much cheaper than paying for minutes as you go....So you will get more minutes for the same money if you purchase the package up front.

Now this may be obvious to every else, but somehow, it never occurred to me that I would first need to purchase a package...duh....Why would I need to purchase something that was complimentary? :confused:

Ask enough questions to be sure you understand your options. On our ship the package recommendation was, in fact, on the instruction sheet next to each keyboard...Only problem was, it was on about the 18th line near the bottom of the page following instructions on how to log on and how to log off. :eek: Many people I spoke with missed it too...And Princess declined to convert our minutes used over to a package since we failed to purchase the package first.

Good luck!

Hi,

If possible, purchase your Internet package on your first night as there may be discounts involved to receive extra minutes. Also, look in the patter as there can be promotions to use the Internet for half price during certain hours. To log on you use your cabin # and first initial and last name. If the 4 in the your cabin have the same first inital, you will have to use the second initial to make it different. Log off immediately and you will receive notification of how much longer you have available. I went on a 16 day cruise and left with many minutes unused. Quite a surprise to me as I had originally not been a fan of the changes.

Hope you have a great cruise.

A couple of things to note -- when we were on the Dawn Princess in early August the connection was quite slow. Also if you purchase a package, say 100 min, it doesn't stop/tell you if you go over, so keep track, if you don't want to incur surprise charges.

Adeline....I beg to differ with you..."SLOW" is a huge understatment! PAINFULLY SLOW is more like it! Eventually we gave up on emailing from the ship because we could accomplish so much more quickly by making a quick stop at internet kiosks in most ports.

Archived