going to the movies

Enchanted

I'm just wondering what kind of movies do they show in the Cinema?

On HAL they usually have (fairly) new released movies, but when we were on RCI last they were very old ones like 'tin cup' and 'happy gilmore' (you know they're old when the intro says "now available on video casette")

I know some people can't understand why anyone would want to watch a movie on a cruise when you can do it at home etc... but i enjoy it.

We'll be on the Summit in NOV. What can i expect? Do they serve popcorn?

Thanks,

Maxine

Illegal ones?

On the Connie they showed Dr Zhivago, King Kong and others. They also showed The Queen together with the copyright theft notice limiting the use to home DVD only.

Pay per View were Apocalypto, 300, Shooter, Blades of Glory, The Italian, Reign Over me, Disturbia and many more none of which I had heard of.

There were also cinema showings, the one day I have a note of was The Memoirs of a Geisha a PG at 1.30pm, Brokeback Mountain at 6pm, The Queen 6pm in the Main Theatre and again at 8.45 and 10.45. Other days there were 3 separate screenings of the same film in the cinema.

As you may guess, I am not a big film fan.

In our experience, HAL is the only cruise line that serves popcorn in the movie theater. :)

And apparently the only line i've been on to show very recent movies!!

Oh well... every line has their own perks/cons.

Thanks for the replies!

Add me to the list of those who like to watch movies while on vacation. It is disappointing that there are not more recent movies; even the pay-per-view ones are already out on DVD, but that is about what one can expect on hotel television. Actually, although the movies listed are not new, there were a couple of them I would enjoy seeing, so maybe it won't be too bad for my February cruise.

Actually - X has a contract with 2 companies to provide LEGAL movies to all ships in the fleet. PPV movies are available usually about 1 month before they come out on dvd (at least, with movies that i've wanted buy - i've noticed its about 1 month from the time they get on the ship till the time they were avialable from amazon). I've never paid very close attention to the timespan that the movies are no-longer in theatres to the time they are on the ship... but im guessing its somewhere between 3 to 6 months... but like i said - its usually about 1 month before its out on DVD.

The ones that are played in the Cinema on the ship tend to be about 6 months to 1 year past DVD release. Those are also fully Legal and Licenced to be played. What the ship receives however is a commercial DVD of the movie (hence all the copyright info at the beginning of the movie).

Archived