Scuba in Cabo

jbobst

Had a couple questions about diving in Cabo. First, is it better to pre-arrange something with a dive shop, or just get off the tender and find one of the local vendors to take us? It will just be my father-in-law and I, so we were hoping for something simple. We went to Cabo last December, and snorkelled around lovers beach and the arch. I would be happy just to dive in that area, and maybe do the sea lion rock area by the arch. It will of course depend on water conditions of course. There were a few tiny little jelly fish things in the water last December, what should we expect for the middle of September? We are in Cabo on September 19th.

We didn't dive last December, but just hired a little glass bottom boat/water taxi to take us to the arch area. I suppose we could rent some gear, then take a water taxi out to that area again (vs. a LONG boat ride out of cabo somewhere else)

Thanks for any advice!

It is easy to arrange your own dive trips in Cabo. Ocean Blue is supposed to be very good. Getting off the ship is not difficult.

We used Manta in May of 2005. We will never use them again. They insisted I wear a brand new 7 mil suit which I did not need - 3 mil was sufficient. They would not give me a 3 mil suit although they had plenty.I did not sink fast enough for the divemaster and his answer was to over weight me. I choose not to dive instead because the areas around Lands End had a lot of surge that day. I insisted they bring me a 3 mil suit and was able to sink on the second dive with 16 lbs. no problem.

We were just in La Paz and dove 2 days. The water temp was 84 degrees. Cabo should be about the same or warmer in September.

Archived