Returning from Rome

sleuthslayer

:) We flew thru PHL last year to Rome for a Carnival cruise. We flew in two days early and really enjoyed the time in Rome.

We had no delays but the best advice is to fly in at least a day early and enjoy Rome. We are in our early 70's and we spent two days walking to the main sights and had a great time. The extra day also gives you time to adjust for the jet lag.

10:30 seems a little early as all the ships arrive about the same time and all the busses head for the airport, over an hour away. Rome airport is a mess at best and real crowded at that particular time. If you can get off the ship early enough you can probably make it but it will be real close. Hope you enjoy your cruise as much as we did on the Liberty.

Bobby

What is the earliest I can book my return flight?spacer.gifWhat is the earliest I can book my return flight?

Recommended times for outbound air flights.

Anchorage - earliest return flight after 11:00 AM

Ensenada - earliest return flight after 11:05 AM for San Diego; 1:40 PM for Los Angeles International

Ft. Lauderdale - earliest return flight after 12:00 PM for Ft. Lauderdale; 1:15 PM for Miami International

Galveston - earliest return flight after 1:30 PM

Honolulu - earliest return flight after 11:20 AM

Jacksonville - earliest return flight after 11:00 AM

Los Angeles - earliest return flight after 12:30 PM for Los Angeles International; 1:30 PM for John Wayne-Santa Ana/Orange County

Miami - earliest return flight after 11:30 AM for Miami; 12:00 PM for Ft. Lauderdale

Mobile - earliest return flight after 11:30 AM

New Orleans - earliest return flight after 11:30 AM

New York – Earliest return flights out of Newark or LaGuardia Airports after 1:00 PM

Port Canaveral – Earliest return flight after 12:00 PM

Rome - earliest return flight after 9:35 AM

San Diego - earliest return flight after 11:30 AM

San Juan - earliest return flight after 12:00 PM

Tampa - earliest return flight after 11:20 AM

Vancouver - earliest return flight after 11:00 AM for Vancouver; 1:50 PM for Seattle

As a general rule, flights from Europe to North America leave Europe in the morning and land in North America in the afternoon, where they turn around and land back in Europe in the morning. I think you will find that most any flight you take from Rome that leaves later than mid-day and involves a connection in Europe will probably involve an over-night stay. Since the USAir flight leaves two hours later than the recommended earliest flight, it sounds like this flight is definitely the best for you.:cool:

We will be sailing on the Freedom next June and are looking at flights. We can fly direct from Rome to PHL but the flight leaves at 11:30AM. Looking for input from those who have sailed Carnival out of Rome before. Will we have enough time?

Thanks for your help!

On our June 7th return on the Freedom there was plenty of time to take a 11:30 flight. The ship was actually in port at 3:30 am and they started disembarking at 6:30. So if you tell them what time your flight is they will disembark you in plenty of time. There were LOTS of folks taking flights out that day. When we booked we weren't sure so we did stay one-day post cruise. Although, we did do three days pre-cruise. I was glad that we did the pre-cruise stay, even though we were tired we could schedule tours, take a nap, do a tour, etc. Post-cruise I was surprised at how tired we were. This is a very physical trip, and a life-time one also. (I'm part cat so I have more lives, so want to go back!)

Enjoy your wonderful trip!

We sailed the Liberty last year and had a 10:30 Continental flight to Newark. Debarkation is so well orchestrated by Carnival. I would recommend Carnival transfers since they are called first. It is a little expensive but worth it. We debarked at 6:00 am and were on our way to the airport by 6:30. We arrived at the airport before 8:00am with plenty of time. Maybe our experience was not typical but it worked great. Carnival knows full well that all of the flights home leave in the morning and they work hard to get everyone where they need to go. Our cruise was the first to return after the Heathrow debacle last year so security was TIGHT. Since you're flying to Philly, you're probably flying USair. They've never taken off on time since their creation so you probably have even more time.

Archived