Ballroom Dancing on Oosterdam

Waltzing Reg

Waltzing Reg: We sailed on the Oosterdam in February of this year and we like to ballroom dance. The good news is that there will be a small band which plays dance music. The bad news is that the Oosterdam's regular dance venues are wholly inadequate IMO, as far as space goes.

We found that with more than 8 couples on the floor, it became unmanageable. Nevertheless, we still got to dance, but in comparison to HAL's R & S class ships, the Vista class ships leave a lot to be desired for ballroom dancing.

Hope you have a great cruise, though!

Waltzing Reg: We sailed on the Oosterdam in February of this year and we like to ballroom dance. The good news is that there will be a small band which plays dance music. The bad news is that the Oosterdam's regular dance venues are wholly inadequate IMO, as far as space goes.

We found that with more than 8 couples on the floor, it became unmanageable. Nevertheless, we still got to dance, but in comparison to HAL's R & S class ships, the Vista class ships leave a lot to be desired for ballroom dancing.

Hope you have a great cruise, though!

Found same thing on Noordam last year, exacerbated by the fact it was a big band cruise, which naturally attracts a disproportionate number of dancers. After some protests, including a petition started by a Canadian lady and some prodding by band leader Nick Ross, they moved quite a few tables aside in Crow's nest, which resulted in marginally adequate space, particularly later in the evening. Exception was HAL's traditional black and white ball, which was shoulder to shoulder - impossible to dance.

There was a pretty good combo playing in the Ocean Bar, but the dance floor there is totally inadequate if more than a few couples attempt to dance. Especially crowded during cocktail hours!

Why doesn't HAL provide better dance floor space on Vista Class ships? Pardon my cynicism, but dance floors don't generate revenue!

You're right Waltzing Reg - pretty much have to stick to dances or steps that don't require much space. In my experience, such niceties as floor etiquette and line of dance impossible!

Despite these Vista Class ships' shortcomings, I still had a great time and have booked another big band crossing (Harry James Orchestra - a great band) for March '08.

Just curious Bob, How would you compare either HAL dance floor to what is available on Cunard? It is my understanding that Cunard has the best ballroom dance floor at sea.

No comparison. The dedicated ballrooms on both Queens are the largest afloat and both have excellent music, although I have read a few complaints that the QM2 orchestra tended to stray from the beat. Also fun on Cunard are their fancy balls, which they schedule quite frequently. On my last QE2 crossing they combined the Queen's room and show room bands one night for a big band ball.

I particularly like Crystal's ballrooms, especially since they refurbished the Starlite on the Symphony last year. Crystal dance floors are not as big as the Queens, but they only carry around 1,000 passengers, so crowding is never a problem.

Bob

When we were on the Amsterdam for last Christmas/New Year's, they opened up the Queen's Lounge for dancing to the Amsterdam orchestra on Christmas Eve and for the New Year's Eve ball. Could fit quite a few people in there.:)

I had similar experiences on both Maasdam and Prinsendam, but not in Vista Lounge on my most recent big band cruise on Noordam. If I recall correctly there is quite a bit of space in front of stages on Vista class ships and I believe tables and chairs are movable. Not sure there is enough space there for an event like the Black & White Ball, even with all the furniture moved out. Will be interested to see how they handle situation on my March '08 big band crossing on Zuiderdam. I believe the ship is almost sold out, so that can mean lots of competition for dance floor space.

We were on the Noordam with NHBob (Hi Bob!) and one evening in the Queens Lounge there was room to dance on the wooden floor in front of the stage during the band's performance.

We found the Crows Nest dance floor to be very adequate when all the chairs and tables had been cleared off. There were a couple of poles which presented obstacles, but there was room to dance most of the time. The biggest challenge for us was coping with the occasional pitching/rolling movements of the ship.

We will have to try Cunard sometime!

We will have to try Cunard sometime!

Hi Bill. Don't wait too long - as you know, QE2, the grand old lady, will leave the fleet about a year from now. I'm not a great fan of QM2 - just too big and the most disorganized ship I've ever sailed on. But, in fairness to Cunard, my one cruise on QM2 was very early in her service - third cruise if I recall correctly.

Haven't looked too closely at the Victoria. I had assumed hat she would essentially be a Vista Class ship in Cunard livery, but information I have seen lately indicates that although a similar hull design, superstructure will be traditional Cunard. I note that she does have a Queen's room dedicated ballroom like the older Queens. And, it is located on Deck 2 neear midship, which should minmize motion.

My biggest problem with Cunard is that the new ships have no single cabins and their single supplements are exorbitant - 75% to 100% in most cases.

I had forgotten that there was some space to dance in front of the stage on Noordam. Don't remember whether or not they removed some of the tables and chairs in that area the one evening you mentioned.

Bob

For ballroom dancing that moves (e.g., waltz, foxtrot, tango), HAL's dance floors are all woefully inadequate, especially once you put several couples on the floor together. HAL didn't design their ships with dancers in mind (can't blame them as they had many other more important requirements, I'm sure). Most folks don't seem to understand or know dance floor etiquette (stationary in the middle; moving counterclockwise on the outside).

We did a big band transatlantic on the Oosterdam a few years ago; when the band played half the ship seemed to hit the dance floor and you couldn't move anywhere at all.

Solution - keep your elbows in and your steps small!

Archived