Smoking

Madkitty

Hello all,

i recently had a 3 day cruise on Aurora.

I am smoker,and i was very disappointed at the lack of smoking venues on this ship.

When we boarded,we were given a leaflet on where you could and could not smoke on the ship.

Open deck(can't remember what side).

One (small)part of the crows nest.

One side of Andersons bar.

If you are a smoker this can seriously curtail your enjoyment of your cruise (as it did mine)and i cannot see myself booking another cruise.

My hard earned money will more than likely now be spent on a land based holiday(which is a shame as i love cruising).

Taffygirl

Hello all,

i recently had a 3 day cruise on Aurora.

I am smoker,and i was very disappointed at the lack of smoking venues on this ship.

When we boarded,we were given a leaflet on where you could and could not smoke on the ship.

Open deck(can't remember what side).

One (small)part of the crows nest.

One side of Andersons bar.

If you are a smoker this can seriously curtail your enjoyment of your cruise (as it did mine)and i cannot see myself booking another cruise.

My hard earned money will more than likely now be spent on a land based holiday(which is a shame as i love cruising).

Taffygirl

were you on the Aurumn getaway taffygirl? I HAVE SOME PHOTOS FROM THIS ONE IF INTERESTED:

http://picasaweb.google.com/AuroraPartyCruiseSueV/Aurora3nAmsterdamAndBrugesCruise

did you enjoy it? I did, esp the trips to Amsterdam and Bruges - too many babies onboard though -lol esp crying ones sat next to me!

Sue

Hi All

I have come by P&Os official smoking policy for all the fleet with the exception of Ventura. I quote below those appertaining to Aurora. If anyone wants to know about other ships in the fleet I will be happy to post them.

Sun deck (13) portside

Lido deck (12) Riviera Pool area, portside

Aft open decks ( 9 10 and 11 ) portside

Promenade deck (7) portside open deck

All cabins and cabin balconies

Crows Nest (13 forward ) portside

Pennant Bar (12 aft ) portside

Andersons (7 forward ) portside including the bar counter in the smoking section.

It does however carry the following statement.

Please be advised that this is the current smoking policy for P&O Cruises however, further changes may be made at a later date dependant on passenger feedback or changes in the Merchant Shipping Act.

I hope this is of some use.

cabinboy

Hi All

I am sure I am not alone in getting a little fed up with the insulting terms used by some zealots to describe smokers. Disgusting, filthy etc. Some of the greatest men and women in our history were smokers, would they also apply these terms to them?

Also this holier than thou attitude is more than a little tiresome. The perfect human has yet to be born and we all have our failings, or maybe some non smokers consider they do not?

The smoking policy I put on my last post mentions passenger feedback to establish if any changes are needed. I have no doubt that most of it will come from those who start to cough in an exaggerated fashion if you light up twenty yards away from them, yet will stand in a bus queue breathing in deadly traffic fumes with no apparent ill effects.

A bit of tolerance and give and take on both sides, and an end to childish insults would be more than welcome.

regards cabinboy

Hi Cabinboy

Do you think that the 'prats' who respond to messages in such a controversial way, would make the same response face to face? I think not. In fact these posters, keyboard heroes, are usually civilized in person, but turn unpleasant and on many occasions vicious in the relative anonymity of the web.

They have a negative effect in as much as the dissuade others who may post from contributing, fearing they will be attacked for their viewpoint.

Cb

Hi Cabinboy

Do you think that the 'prats' who respond to messages in such a controversial way, would make the same response face to face? I think not. In fact these posters, keyboard heroes, are usually civilized in person, but turn unpleasant and on many occasions vicious in the relative anonymity of the web.

They have a negative effect in as much as the dissuade others who may post from contributing, fearing they will be attacked for their viewpoint.

Cb

Well you two are coming out fighting with both guns blazing, could I ask, why. I have not seen anything on this thread which merits such aggression. Indeed it is totally uncalled for.

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

The proportion of a ship given over to permitting smoking reflects the dwindling minority who can't or won't give up their anti-social habit.

Safety reasons should soon see it banned from cabins in the next few years.

I look forward to the time when smoking will be as common-place as taking snuff or wearing a monocle.

~~

Like the rest of the population who smoked before the 1950s, "great men & women" were unaware of the damage they were doing to their health and the health of their non-smoking friends, family and colleagues.

~~

Whilst the word "prat" is not high in the scale of nastiness to describe contributors, it is sill an unedifying term to apply to folks on friendly sites like this, who just have a different viewpoint as regard this and other topics.

TMM,

I am with you. I certainly don't like heavy diesel fumes either, but then I do not stand in bus queues where I am subjected to the fumes.

I used to work with inveterate smokers and had a reasonably high tolerance whilst I also had an active dislike.

Now though, because smoking is comparatively rare, my intolerance has increased markedly. In a street, even 20 yards downwind of a smoker I find it unpleasant.

While I would not do anything about smokers in a cubby hole I would certainly make my feelings known if they were out of bounds. One thing I dread would be the allocation of a smokey cabin or a balcony with a smoker upwind. Not sure what I could do about the balcony issue but I would certainly insist on a cabin change.

Hi cruisebore

We both appear to have had our hands smacked by diaB. To be honest I did not think I had all guns blazing, merely making on one or two valid points. Your comment about triumphalism is quite valid in as much as pre the ban I would be well off if I had a pound for every time a non smoker said "you won't be doing that after July 1st" with a smug look to go with the comment. I am also sure that there are some who would not say face to face what they post on the forum.

I still believe that with goodwill on both sides, most, with a few inevitable exceptions, would be quite happy with a system that catered for both smokers and non smokers.

For smokers to sit in a nonsmoking area and light up is inexcusable, as is the fellow on our last cruise who sat in the smoking area and demanded that the steward stopped people smoking. There are unfortunately these types on both sides of the divide.

All anybody wants out of a cruise is a chance to relax in their own way and I would think that it is not difficult to cater for all tastes using a little common sense.

regards cabinboy

Archived