What to do/where to eat in/near Carcross...Yukon??

bettyvon

Our group will be driving to the Carcross/Emerald lake area for a couple of us to go Horseback riding. Is there plenty to do/see nearby for the rest of the group? Is there a good deli in Carcross to get some lunch before heading off to the ranch? I have no idea how close by Carcross is to where we are heading. Yukon, any suggestions? Thanks to all who reply

Radiance of the Seas 7/04

Adventure of the Seas 4/02

Elation 4/01

Sun Princess 10/00

If you haven't already, you might want to read the thread "Skagway to Emerald Lake... anyone done it" by me - Sandy R. Yukon helped us all by creating a milepost guide and answering a multitude of question. I'll trace it down and bump it up so it will be easier to find.

Sandy

The consistently best places to eat are the Cinnamon Cache (soup, sandwiches, cinnamon buns) and Spirit Lake Lodge (full meals), both of them between Carcross and Emerald Lake. There are 2 cafes in Carcross (8 miles south of Emerald Lake), but I recommend that you continue on. Check my highway guide at http://www.explorenorth.com/library/roads/sklondike-photos1.html for lots of info on your route.

Murray

Thank You Sandy and Murray! I love Cruise Critic, it (the people!) has helped me so much in making decisions about where to go, what to do. I am looking so forward to the drive to Emerald Lake and Carcross. Yukon, could you put the word out to the wildlife to meander about on August 3? That would really complete the trip....... icon_razz.gif

Radiance of the Seas 7/04

Adventure of the Seas 4/02

Elation 4/01

Sun Princess 10/00

Morning;

The Cinnamon Bun cash is good I have heard. My friends had the cruise ship make them up a lunch as they had already paid for it with the tickets.

Are you going with he Yukon Horseback behind Emerald Lake? That horse tours is awesome and gets the best tour reviews from every one who has taken them. Have a good one. Let us know how your tour goes.

We stopped at the Cinnamon Cache (we just had to after reading the notes here) and spoke to Gail for a while. We were the only ones there at the time and told her where we had heard about the restaurant. Be sure to mention cruise critic when you stop in!

There were 4 of us and we had 3 real ham sandwiches on fresh baked bread, 2 bowls of homemade turkey noodle soup with fresh bread and butter, 4 drinks and an apple cinammon bun and it was just at $40 CAD or about $29 US. It was a huge sandwich and bowl of soup and it was fantastic! Highly recommended by the entire group. Thanks for the heads up Murray.

I'm having withdrawal. Need help!

Everyone takes credit cards (Visa, at least), and US $ are generally accepted at a 30% exchange rate at the moment. If you want Canadian cash, there is an ATM at the Montana Service gas station/store on the highway at Carcross.

Murray

We ate at the Cinnamon Cache and Gail and Bobo were wonderful! Great homemade soup, chili, bread and great company--a lot of fun.

We were on the star-crossed 5/22 Princess Diamond sailing and this drive was the highlight of our trip.

Murray--If I'd have known to ask for you at the Visitor's Center, I'd have brought flowers and dog treats...We had a blast on the drive due in large part to your guide. DO NOT MISS THIS DRIVE if you stop in Skagway. Our fellow passengers were so jealous of our "in the know" experience.

Also, definitely make the drive to Dyea that is outlined in Murray's drive as well. We did it on the way back into town and loved it--even with the twists and turns. Well worth it--and an extra potty break is available there.

I could go on and on, but I'll stop by saying do as many of the off-road things Murray outlines and you'll have a blast too.

Thanks for the report, dunkiesmom. I was waiting for someone to return and talk about the drive. We'll be doing the Skagway to Emerald Lake in August. Can't wait. We'll have Murray's milepost guide with us and we'll be sure to do Dyea, too.

Sandy

We just did the drive on May 27. Thanks Murray for your guide, very informative. We stopped at the Cinnamon Cache a couple minutes to 4:00 and it had closed already, so we missed out on the Yummy Treats. Emerald Lake was worth the 75 mile drive. Beautiful! The scenery was great until then too!

Murray: We are Canadians and took the chance that we might be turned back at the border, but they let us through. This drive was the highlight of our trip!!

Thanks to you all for your comments - I'm very pleased that all of yout trips went so well. People from CruiseCritic are popping by to say "hi" every couple of days - great fun! icon_smile.gif

On Saturday (June 5), it's my turn to go wandering - I'm away for almost 3 weeks driving from Saskatoon through Dawson City and Fairbanks to Seward and back home!

Murray

Yukon..........

Have a great trip. Guess I'll be one that won't try to find you since I know you won't be found. Thanks for all the info you have provided. Started reading these forums and planned all our land stuff around the interesting things I've found. I was looking for the "off the beaten track" things and things that the locals recommend. Lived in Florida most of my life and saw what tourism brought to a beautiful land - lots of concrete, ruined views, way too many people. Want to see your area before that happens! Knew when I was planning this trip I wanted to see all of what Alaska is - the tourist areas and the "locals" Alaska. Also knew I'd love the local area a lot better! Without your great info I would have missed this area - now I think it will be one of the high points.

So Thanks.............

Sue

dunkiesmom wrote:

Also, definitely make the drive to Dyea that is outlined in Murray's drive as well. We did it on the way back into town and loved it--even with the twists and turns. Well worth it--and an extra potty break is available there.

I have Murray's guide printed out but see nothing of the drive to Dyea of which you speak. What milepost? Is it an alternative to the drive back to Skagway? Thanks, Marilyn

Sapphire Princess 6/27/04

Archived