Cruising w/ Two Tots

RedCoff

Hello,

I'm cruising for the first time this fall with my husband and two sons, ages 2.5 and 1 year old. My parents are taking us on the Norweigan Star to the Mexican Riviera, we leave November 24th. I wondered if anyone else has cruised with such little ones before and if you can give me any tips. Was there anything they didn't have on board that you wish you brought along?

Christina

Lots of us have cruised with children your age and had a great time.

Bring everything you'll need - don't count on being able to buy anything like diapers, wipes, sunscreen, medications on board. There's a Wal Mart within walking distance of the ship in Puerta Vallarta if you end up needing something, but it's obviously not the best way to spend your day! Bring strollers for each of them that recline and that have a good sun cover.

Specific to the Mexican Riviera (which I've done 3x so far with my twin toddlers), we love to go to the Krystal Resort in Puerta Vallarta. It's walking distance from the ship and they charge $20 per adult for the day pass, which is then applied to your food/beverage bill, so we have lunch there. There's a playground we visit first (before it gets too hot), then we play in the wonderful children's pool, then rest/play in the sand under a canopy on the beach. It's a perfect day for toddlers. In Cabo, we do the Lands End boat ride, which leaves right from the pier and has a large enclosed area. Unfortunately, I still haven't found anything that doesn't require a car seat in Mazatlan.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Best,

Mia

• 2 weeks later...

Mia,

Thanks for the tips, very useful. I have been debating whether or not to bring a stroller. Do you think one of those cheapy umbrella strollers with a sunshade would be alright? I have a nice single and twin stroller but I was thinking they would be too heavy, cumbersome to pack.

Thanks for the tip on the resort and the boat ride, we are going with family that has cruised often, but I don't think they have done the boat ride.

Christina

Some disagree with me, but I'm a big believer in bringing a comfortable stroller for each child. I travel with a tandem double stroller. Getting on the ship can be a long wait, there can be long distances from one place to another once on board, as well as walking in port, so you'll want a place to put a tired, whiny toddler - or be able to keep moving when they're napping or asleep for the evening. Keep in mind that ships are wheelchair friendly, so it's easy to move a stroller around as well - you just have to never be in a hurry since elevators can have a wait. It's been years since I've been on an NCL cruise, so I don't remember how wide the doors are, but you may have to fold down the stroller before taking it into your cabin.

If you are flying to the port, you'll need a stroller in the airport. If you're not flying, it's easy to bring absolutely anything you need since you just unload your car at the port.

Best,

Mia

I agree, IMHO you need a GOOD DURABLE stroller with shade. I always bring our big one with big wheels. Umbrella strollers do poorly over uneven terrain and you need something that reclines for naps--esp for baby. Many times you will find yourself needing a nap space for the little one and a stroller always has it. Plus, big stroller provide space for stowing things as you walk around.

Don't think of it as a cumbersome vehicle, think of it as a necessity. :)

After reading your posts I will definately bring my stroller, I have a side by side twin stroller that provides shade and reclines. It collapses to the size of a pack and play.

We are traveling with my parents who have promised to help babysit. YAY! Our rooms will be connected for ease. The cruise said they will provide a crib for my 1 year old and bed rails for the 2 year old. I'm wondering if I should still bring my pack and play, maybe to put in my parents cabin in case of emergency?

Anyone have experience with cruise cribs?

Christina

I'd reconsider taking the double side-by-side stroller. Instead, I'd take 2 small-medium sized strollers. We just bought a nice "umbrella" called a Chicco C6 for our cruise. We didn't want something bulky. It reclines half way. It has a nice sun shade. It's cheap. We considered taking our sbs double, but someone warned that if the stewards have their carts in the hallways, it's nearly impossible to maneuver down the halls. I also read that at busy times you really have to wait and wait at elevators to get a side by side stroller on. There's just no room and people don't budge. Smaller strollers may not maneuver as well on cobble streets, but most of the time you will be in a decent area or on a ship. Just my two cents.

Have a great trip. I'm taking my 3 and 1 yo's on their first cruise next month. We're very excited.

Don't bring a side by side stroller! Think of all of the things you'll have to maneuver. The elevator. The hallways. The gangway to the tender boats. :eek: Get two small umbrella travel strollers. They fold completly flat and will be easier to store on shuttles during your excursions.

Save yourself the trouble.

We're almost 20 something days away from our first cruise w/ our 19-mo old son. We sail out of NYC for an 11-day NE/Canadian cruise.

We decided it would be best for us to purchase and FedEx a case of diapers to our hotel. We arrive to NYC the night before our cruise. We also will send a box that contains extra wipes, toys, books, etc... stuff we don't want to take on the plane.

We ordered a pack-n-play for our room. We'll bring our own sheets.

Best of luck and have a nice cruise!!

Bethany24

We did this cruise last October with my 2 grandkids aged 2 1/2 and 15 months. We had a wonderful time. There are so many things to do. There is a great play area for little ones at the back of the ship. My grandson called it the park. We would get a ice cream cone and then hang out at the park. They also had toys set up every day in a small room near the Spinaker and we met several families with little ones. Freestyle was great, and the buffet has a special section for the little ones too. The crew was absolutley amazing with the kids. They went out of their way to make the kids feel special. I will always treasure the times we had and I hope you have a wonderful time as well.

We took a 7 day cruise in September of 06 and and we had a lot of fun with our daughter. We had grandma and grandpa plus a couple friend of ours and everyone took turns helping with our baby (as you can imagine we were very grateful). We were not impressed with the ship (Carnival Glory) this was our 6th cruise first with baby and first on Carnival we knew they didn't have a lot of things for her to do, the kids's pool was a joke (very windy area) the play area for lillte kids was pretty good clean and the staff was very attentive. So check with your crusie line before you go what you can do with our little ones. Here are a few things that really helped me:

1)Clothes: planning outfits in storing them in ziplock bags (everything from hair accessories to socks/shoes). I planned for 2 outfits a day and used just about everything. As the outfits got soiled I put them inside the same ziplock bags and store them in the suitcase. Shoes and accessories where used more them once.

2)Entertaiment: We drove to Pt. Canaveral so I packed a few (new) toys in my backpack (no purse for me). Playdough, books, dolls she could take clothes off,cd with music for the car, coloring books, etc and others in the suitcase. Small bucket with shovel and pail to play at the beach, little plastic dolls etc. I wish I had brought a DVD player to help us while on the cabin changing clothes and at dinner time to distract her a little bit.

3) Feeding and changing: disposable bibs, plastic spoons, sip cups, diapers (she was not potty trained yet), wipes, hand sanitizer. We didn't think a plastic pool was necessary I gave her a quick shower every night and it as not a problem. We didn't care to use the pool on the ship so if the grown ups are around the pool it is a good idea to pack a plastic pool for the kids to splash in.

4)Around ship: since the play area was only opened a couple of hours when they were closed we walked around the boat, play with her playdough, went up and down the steps, said hello to just about everyone, and took naps in the afternoon (in the crib). I used the bathroom towels as a bumper around the crib so she wouldn't hit her head on it.

5) While in port: I bought a Kolcraft stroller at Kmart for $30 or $40 bucks it was light weight, had a basket and shade and it as perfect to move around the ship and in port. She only tooks naps on the crib (I know what a pain in the neck) but while in St. Thomas surprise surprise she slept in the van while we were touring the island. It was hard for her to take a nap on the first 2 days but after that she adjusted. We warmed her milk inside of the bathroom sink, read books and said night night we kept her routine the same everyday.

I can't think of anything else, I was very aprehensive to take a cruise with her. Yes I was tired, couldn't go to every show, ate half of my dinner and had to go back to my inside cabin to take naps with her in the afternoon. On the other hand we played in the sand, got lots of wet kisses and hugs, we watch the sea go by, chased butterflies in the butterfly farm, and went weeeee everytime our van drove down the hills in St. Thomas. What else could a parent ask for??? Enjoy every minute with your little ones, they are so worth it:)

Neya

Just wanted to pipe in, that I would also reconsider the side by side stroller. As a family that travels A LOT, we have made the mistake only once of taking our full-sized stroller. Never again. What a PIA.

There are cheap umbrella strollers and there are great umbrella strollers. I would highly recommend getting two great umbrella strollers -- we use a MacCleren triumph -- you don't have to stoop to push it, has a basket, reclines, etc -- and I would NEVER EVER EVER go back to a full-sized while traveling again. We have used it without problems on cobblestone European walkways, dirt roads in the country, in the desert, and in large cities. I have seen the Chicco version, too. It looks like it would also be a great umbrella stroller.

Go to the store, open and close them, push them around... imagine being flustered boarding a tender or getting on a packed elevator with people rolling their eyes and chose what you think will work best.

Whatever you do, have a great trip.

Just remember, everything does cost more on ship and on island. Bring some baby meds, lots of diapers and wipes, anything special...food, lovie toy, passie/nuk/bottle/sippy cups/baby spoon&fol, etc. Anything that makes your life more comfortable at home will also make it so on ship. It is great having Grandparents along. Don't feel guilty when they have the babies, they all making their own wonderful memories and they love it. (I know because that is what I do whenever I can!)I would have a crib/pnp set up in each room so you don't have to worry about moving them about. Glad you were able to get the contecting cabins. Have fun.

Archived