Two Teens to Alaska

esmo

We are leaving on our first ever cruise in December on the Golden Princess to Mexico. I am anticipating falling completely in love with cruising and am already comtemplating our next adventure.

I would love to take our two children (12 and 16) on an Alaskan cruise. Due to school schedules it will have to be sometime between late June and late August (or course) and due to economics this time - we would need to do the Inside Passage cruise out of Seattle (we can drive from Portland and save on air). So my question is.... of the cruise lines sailing that itinerary which one would you say offers the best "family" feel.

My two are, or course, very well-behaved :) and comfortable in any social situation. That said, I am sure they would enjoy a lively "teen" program and heavy on the scenery and adventure. I just want everyone to have a great time!

That all said - any recommendations.

Thanks

Esmo

We did an Alaska Cruise on Carnival as they always have great Teen Programs and often offer Teen excursions where they do an excursion as a group and it is usually discounted 25%. Friends were on Princess this summer and said there were some teens but not very many. Their son did ok but their 14 yr old daughter didnt meet very many other girls her age.

My kids loved Alaska but excursions can be VERY expensive. There are several things you can do on your own if you look into it in advance.

Have a great cruise!!!

I'd be interested in finding out what people think is the best cruise or cruise line for kids to Alaska. Alaska is definitedly on my to do list. But, I'd like to wait until my youngest, age 2, is a little older so that we can all get more out of the experience.

out of seattle you only have round-trip cruises. all 1-ways leave from or end in vancouver. of the round-trips leaving seattle, we did NCL.

the NCL pearl does glacier bay, had a bowling alley and a rock climbing rock as well as a good teen/kids program. but the best thing is the many restaurants and the casual dress code. check over on the alaska port-of-call boards.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

we were on RCL Serenade of the Seas last year (though out of Vancouver) w/ an 11 and 15 year old. They had a great time. RCL had a great teen club and on sea days we hardly saw our oldest. any my youngest made a new friend and they went everywhere together. So I felt very safe letting them roam about w/o us. (after many lectures about not climbing on the railings!)..

The kids loved Alaska so much they have asked us if we can go back next year! So you might want to check into RCL out of Seattle. we were even early in the season (early June) but there were a good number of families on board. Have fun!!

Archived