Is Cave Tubing excursion safe if pregnant

stbernard

Is the Cave Tubing excursion safe if pregnant? We're not worried about swimming she's a strong swimmer. My concern is I hear there is a lengthy hike before getting in the water and she'll be coming up on 6 months pregnant.

The walk thru the Rain forest is approx. 30 -45 minutes and the terrain can be slippery but what would concern me is there are some tricky parts on the path. I personally would not want to risk the life of an unborn child just to take the tour. She should speak with her dr. about this as well as contact the tour operator and get his view on this. I would hope that a tour conductor would be more concerned of the guests (and baby on board) safety more than just money !

I know that Major Tom always has concern of safety for all his guests and may perhaps say "I do not suggest she take the tour" that far along in the pregnancy. Perhaps if you check out his website ***** and drop him an email will provide you the best answer after speaking with her dr.

Well I too was curious about this and decided to check with my friend in Belize and his response was as below:

The solution is to apply ONE SPECIAL GUIDE/SAFETY STAFFER on her alone. We have done that several times before, and one was 6 months pregnant!!!!

It still does not answer my question though regarding the hike thru the rainforest... I still think it would be wise to talk to her dr. before and getting an approval or denial before proceeding with this or any tour.

Just my 2 cents !

Safe Travels

Thanks I really appreciate the input! I have the same concern you do. Its not as if the safety guide and me are going to pick her up and carry her through the hike (or like that would be safer). She'll need to do it herself one foot in front of the other. She most likely would get through it fine but its not risk slipping and falling. Exercise is healthy when pregnant but low impact is key. I'm going to talk it over with her but I think its best to be cautious about this one and find something else to do there.

We went last year and it had rained the night before making the jungle trails quite slippery with mud in places and we really had to watch where we stepped. You carry your tube with you to the cave and when we had to cross the river the fast moving water has rounded all the rocks under your feet. Walking in the cliff areas wasn't bad but did have a few high steps to go up or down.

We went last year and it had rained the night before making the jungle trails quite slippery with mud in places and we really had to watch where we stepped. You carry your tube with you to the cave (and back out I think I remember) and when we had to cross the river the fast moving water has rounded all the rocks under your feet. Walking in the cliff areas wasn't bad but did have a few high steps to go up or down.

Archived