Best Beach to relax, eat, swim

renee&felix

Anyone have a suggestion on the best beach in Roatan to relax on and have lunch and go for a swim? Looking for a place that has beach loungers, umbrellas, hopefully a restaurant and a BAR!!

Also, can you give me an approximate cost of a cab ride to the beach you are suggesting, and is the island safe to visit without using a ship sponsored excursion?

Thanks!

Renee

Anyone have a suggestion on the best beach in Roatan to relax on and have lunch and go for a swim? Looking for a place that has beach loungers, umbrellas, hopefully a restaurant and a BAR!!

Also, can you give me an approximate cost of a cab ride to the beach you are suggesting, and is the island safe to visit without using a ship sponsored excursion?

Thanks!

Renee

Renee,

First of all, from a person who lives here, this place is as safe as you can ask for. No one should walk around wearing loads of BLING, BLING (jewelry), as you are then just a target...no different than in any big American city.

You can go anywhere on Roatan, and you will feel safe.

The only EXCEPTION, where you might feel "unsafe" would be as soon as you get off the ship. This is where all the hustlers and the like are, trying to get you to do something with them, so they can earn a living. It can be very stressful, and a bit much for some people.

There are a couple of great beaches on Roatan...The best is West Bay beach(resort area), the next best is Coral Cay (isolated tourist destination)...If you are looking for a combination of an OK beach but with lots of shopping/restaurants, then you need to look at Half Moon Bay at West End.

It's your call.

With any of the above choices, I would strongly recommend booking an independent tour ;), to get you to these places and more....

On the other hand, if you just want to grab a taxi at the dock, and then to West Bay beach, for example, be prepared to pay $10-$15 per person for a group of 3-4, and about $40 for one or two persons...

It's expensive, and it's only one way. You still need arrange for reliable return transportation.....which the same driver will do, but for more money...Still pricey for a single destination as far as I am concerned.

As I have said in previous posts, the best drivers, who speak the best English, are the ones that are typically booked up prior to the ship arriving.

BTW, Yes, all the beaches have chaise loungers (for rent), with restaurants and bars to enjoy.

I hope that helps.:)

Archived