Golden in October - passport required?

mringenoldus

See the State Dept site for most accurate/up-to-date info:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

If you will not be re-entering the U.S. BY AIR (that is the key here), you are not required to have a passport. HOWEVER, should you for any reason need to be flown back to the U.S. (illness, other emergency cutting your cruise short), a passport would be required (per State Dept website at this time, using the "proof of application" substitute is only valid through 09/30/07). Therefore, it is highly recommended that you obtain passports, just in case. Note, you should apply ASAP and might want to consider expedited service. I would personally rather have the passport, as it is the best identification you can carry and will ease your travels. Just my opinion, though.

We applied using Expedited service on Sat 08/17. Was notified our passports were complete on Sat 08/25 -- ONE WEEK! We received our passports on Wed 08/29. And, we did not pay to have overnight delivery, they were sent by USPS.

I totally agree that a passport is the way to go.

However, doesn't the expedited service cost quite a bit?

Here is a link to the State Dept passport fees page: http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/fees/fees_837.html

Not wanting to be sarcastic here, but two things:

1. If you are going next month, you don't have much choice. You could get lucky with regular service, but I would not chance it. You can not fly back to the US after 09/30/07 with only the proof of application. You would need the actual passport (unless there is an extension, but who knows?). Expedited you will definitely get your passport if you apply ASAP. Find a location that has convenient hours close to your home here: http://iafdb.travel.state.gov/

2. Expedited service cost is not a lot when you compare to the aggravation if you have no passport and need to get back to the U.S. I look at it as the price of "peace of mind". :)

For the 2 of us, we paid $314 (for one, would be $157) total for passports with Expedited service. If you only need a renewal, it is $30 less per person. Here is a link regarding how you qualify for renewal: http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/renew/renew_833.html

(I was 1 yr past the renewal allowance; didn't know you have an extra 5 yrs after expiration, and I never needed it before -- only had it because former job req'd it "just in case", so they could send you anywhere on very short notice.)

You have made very good points. This cruise is actually for my friend and her family. She has a passport - but I don't think the adult son does.

I tell everybody - just get the darn passport!

Agreed! Some people just don't want to spend the $. I figure, it's a fraction of the cost of the trip and why chance being stuck somewhere without it? The $ is a small "insurance policy". Besides, it is valid for 10 yrs and we all know that soon you will need it anyway, unless you are sure to NEVER leave the U.S.

Also, now with the electronic passport (chip in it), it makes things a breeze vs. having the BC and DL scrutinized.

Archived