If this is true I am going to be sick!

sas80

The sad fact is, children come to harm much more often from the parents or "loved ones" than strangers. :( If this allegation is true, dad was probably an accessory. :( :(

There was a report in our local newspaper yesterday about a grandmother babysitting her granddaughter. She gave the child two stiff drinks of gin so that she, the grandma, could go out and party. Mom came home many hours later, found the child alone and drunk and called the police. Grandma's now in jail. Sorry, couldn't find a weblink.

Though we hope that we can trust people, especially to look after their own children, sadly it's not always true.

Honestly, how could you leave you children alone while you eat or go to a movie without someone watching them. I myself am not a parent, but hopefully one day. However, I know that if any of my cousins were left alone by their parents I would take control of the situation and take care of them. You hear stories all over the world about kids taking care of kids. A 14 year old taking care of their younger sibling. Sometimes they are mature enough to do this however, most of the time these children are kids themselves and need someone to watch them also. We see this everytime we cruise, there are some children who behave like gentlemen and women while others are off their rocker and act like they are toddlers. I believe it has to be they way they are brought up. But you can't blame them for their behavior its their parents. But back to the many idea of this story, which is that children should not be left alone no matter what there age is. There are so many sick people and sick things out in the world that can hurt our children, however we can't always hold the hands of our children, the need to learn how to protect themselves and how to live their own lives. That comes with age and experience. Children younger than 10 should enjoy their lives in a protective envirnoment where they can have fun and learn and not be prey to anyone, which is where we as parents come in.

In closing sorry for the rant but needed to get it off my chest, but this sounds so much like what happened hear almost 10 years ago on X-Mas day. It sounds so much like the JonBenet Ramsey case.

Geoffrey

Honestly, how could you leave you children alone while you eat or go to a movie without someone watching them. I myself am not a parent, but hopefully one day. However, I know that if any of my cousins were left alone by their parents I would take control of the situation and take care of them. You hear stories all over the world about kids taking care of kids. A 14 year old taking care of their younger sibling. Sometimes they are mature enough to do this however, most of the time these children are kids themselves and need someone to watch them also. We see this everytime we cruise, there are some children who behave like gentlemen and women while others are off their rocker and act like they are toddlers. I believe it has to be they way they are brought up. But you can't blame them for their behavior its their parents. But back to the many idea of this story, which is that children should not be left alone no matter what there age is. There are so many sick people and sick things out in the world that can hurt our children, however we can't always hold the hands of our children, the need to learn how to protect themselves and how to live their own lives. That comes with age and experience. Children younger than 10 should enjoy their lives in a protective envirnoment where they can have fun and learn and not be prey to anyone, which is where we as parents come in.

In closing sorry for the rant but needed to get it off my chest, but this sounds so much like what happened hear almost 10 years ago on X-Mas day. It sounds so much like the JonBenet Ramsey case.

Geoffrey

At least in JonBenets case she was home in her own bed and her parents were in the house with her.

That whole "we were out having a meal" line never sat well with me in the first place.

Im not saying I think she (they) did it. (I cant imagine who would harm a child, ever) but it was just so irresponsible of them as parents, I could not believe that they would do that.

I am not suprised at all that they have named the Mother a suspect. I have never believed their story. Can't put my finger on it, but something never sat right with me and many others I know about this whole thing. Don't forget that being named a suspect in Portugal is not like in US or UK though. My heart goes out to Madeline, but not her parents, they have always struck me as cold. I may be way off, but let's wait and see.

In our area, a jr. high vice-principal left her two year old daughter for 8 hours in her suv while she was at work. She said she forgot her daughter was in the car. They are not pressing charges against her.

There have been several posts on these boards about leaving a child in the cabin while parents have a little bit of night life. I would never leave a child alone in a cabin.

Archived