Pride of Aloha (8/26/07-9/2/07) Part 2 - EXCURSIONS - Long

alikim

Second part to my review of Pride of Aloha. Please excuse my typos and grammar. I wanted to post it before I go home. If you have any questions regarding the excursions, please feel free to ask. Please notice I wrote (NCL) if I took excursions by NCL and (ROBERTS HAWAII) if I took excursions by Roberts Hawaii. I tried to be detailed as possible because before I left, these were things I wanted to know.

Excursions we took:

Wailua River & Fern Grotto (NCL)

Luau Kalamaku (NCL)

Poipu Beach Surfing Lessons (NCL)

Volcanoes National Park and Rainbow Falls (Roberts Hawaii)

Kona Bay Beach Blast (NCL)

Molokini Crater Snorkel (NCL)

Haleakala Crater (Roberts Hawaii)

Maui Tropical Plantaion & Iao Valley & Maui Ocean Center (Roberts Hawaii)

Grand Circle Island Tour (NCL)

Pride of Aloha (8/26/07 – 9/2/07) my views

Part 2

Little background of my family: My husband (47) and me (46), M-I-L (80), Son (19), and Son (13)

Because we had elderly who is semi-disabled, needs cane to walk, I chose all “easy” excursions which involved bus tours.

Excursions (just some of my personal notes):

1. I was worried about services from Ship employees before I left but should have worried about the rudeness of the guests instead! In one of the excursion, my sons and I (3 of us) were able to get seats right next to each other because we got to the bus early but after first stop at our excursion, when we got back on the bus, guests who arrived late before the start of the excursion and they had to sit separately took our seats. Because of this, my sons and I had to seat separately for the rest of the tour. Bus driver noticed this when she was doing the body count and asked me if this was my original seating and when I told her no and that someone took our seats. Bus driver told everyone they had to sit at their original seats but guests refused to move. My suggestion: Take sweater or jacket that you won’t need with you on the excursion and place it on your seat(s) if you want to sit together with your family/friends. Since you will be on the same bus (except on the Luau where you’ll be taking different bus back.), you’ll have some guarantee you won’t be losing your seats. Of course there’s no guarantee that someone won’t move your sweater/jacket to somewhere else but at least you tried to save your original seats.

2. Lots of bathroom stops.

3. Public bathrooms: If you are finicky about toilet seat covers, there are no toilet seat covers in the public bathrooms so bring you own. There was only couple of places we stopped that had them. Have personal Kleenex pack in your purse. One bathroom ran out of toilet papers.

4. Mostly 15-20 minutes stops but that’s plenty of time to take pictures, go to bathroom, and etc.

5. Bus drivers will wait for you if you are late getting back on the bus.

6. All the NCL excursions, when you leave the ship, there’s a sign indicating that that’s the meeting place.

7. Roberts Hawaii, depended on the ports. One port had employee with signs and in Maui, we had to go outside to look for the bus because there was no sign telling us where to meet. I had to ask NCL employees and they told me where to go.

8. Had to get up everyday around 5:30 am to eat breakfast and get ready for excursions. TIRING!

9. Tipping the bus drivers: Shuttle buses had little baskets for you to tip and excursion buses does not. If you want to tip the excursion bus drivers (they are also the guide), you just hand it to them. VERY RARELY did I see people tipping the drivers. I’m glad I read about tipping here so that I knew what to do.

8/27/07 (Monday) – Kauai

WAILUA RIVER AND FERN GROTTO (NCL)

It was hot and muggy waiting for NCL rep to take us to the bus. We waited at least 20 minutes for the rep to show up.

1st stop: 15 minute stop to see fall (double falls).

2nd stop: Fern Grotto Boat Ride: People who were waiting for us with the boat were NOT the friendliest people. Quick bathroom stop before boat leaving. Long line. There’s also little store where you can purchase water and snacks. If you can hold off, there’s bigger bathroom once you get off the boat. Chicken/roosters everywhere on Kauai. Nothing spectacular – same plants/ferns/trees on both side of the rider. A lot of people kayaking. There’s umbrellas for you to use once you get off the boat. You get around 20 minutes to view – little walk to see blocked land filled with ferns/plants. One time we were told we were able to go into the caves but not anymore. I think there was Hawaii wedding song performed but I was so hot, I went back into the boat. On the way back, there was few musician performing and one hula dancer to entertain the guests. Invited guests to dance with them.

3rd stop: Hilo Hattie – got free small seashell leis. 30 minutes to shop.

Back to the ship around 2 pm.

My Extra Remarks: I was not impressed with Fern Grotto. It was okay but I could have skipped it and rested before our luau.

KALAMKU LUAU (NCL)

1. Since I heard that you get better seats if you get to the meeting spot (Stardust theater) early, we all got there early. People who were giving out seatings had NO IDEA which seatings were good since they never attended one and they were “just helping” out. They had no clue as to what they were doing. However, if you get there early, you get on the earlier buses to get to the luau. By the way, you DO NOT GET better seats if you get there early. At least not for us anyway. Our table was far away from the center stage.

2. When we got to the luau, we were greeted by 2 beautiful girls – flower leis for the women and nice shell leis for the men.

3. Took pictures with hula girl and boy.

4. Free mai tai or blue Hawaiin. Can ask for virgin or alcohol drinks. My boys tried virgin Blue Hawaiin.

5. Long bathroom line for women; found out later there’s another bigger bathroom in the back and no one seem to know about it.

6. People selling crafts in small area. There’s plenty of time to look at everything before actual meal/show started.

7. Salad, appetizer (shredded coconuts, taro chips, pineapple slices), purple (taro) bread, and water was brought to your table.

8. Before starting line to get food, pig ceremony – takes pig out from the ground – got to crowded so I was not able to see anything.

9. Hostess came by each table to let us know that we can get in line to get food.

10. Food: Lots of fruits, poi, pork, salmon, chicken long rice, chowmein, purple yams, and lots of desserts.

11. Show: Theatrical – not traditional at all. There was a lot of traditional entertainment such as dancers and singers spread out throughout the dinner. After dinner, show started. Fire dancer(s) were excellent.

12. After show was over, hostess told us look at the paper (table reservation number) we received to see what time we can get on the bus. She called out (I forgot) either table number or time. You really don’t have to wait to be called because you don’t get on the same bus as you came in. As soon as each bus filled out, it left.

My Extra Remarks: I have never been to luau before so this was fun to watch. You have plenty of time before dinner and show to walk around. My boys enjoyed all the “beautiful” hula girls! LOL! I just wished I did not book excursion in the morning and then do luau the same day. It was just too tiring since I still had jet-leg and since it was too hot and muggy at the morning excursion, I was drained out.

8/28/07 (Tuesday) – Kauai

POIPU BEACH SURFING LESSONS (NCL) for my husband and my older son

1. I wanted to follow them to take pictures but I was told it’ll be $34 just for the transportation so I decided go shopping instead. I took shuttle to Wal-Mart and I’m glad I did this because I did all my shopping at Wal-Mart. It was funny to see chickens/rooster walking around the parking lot. Dropped off my purchases in my room and took another shuttle to ABC store. This shuttle also was for people who wanted to go to the beach. Saw people swimming, surfing, boogie boarding, and etc. There was also Crazy Shirts, Red Dirt Shirt, and other shopping stores.

2. Info I got from my DH re: surfing lessons: Mini-van took around 13 people to take surf lessons. It was rocky on the bottom. They were given rash guard (top) and water shoes. No locker to put personal things so they just left their person stuff (cash, ID, credit card) on the beach while surfing. There was “non-professional” photographer who took their picture. $10 each.

My Extra Remarks: One thing I would have done differently be not do the Fern Grotto on the first day in Kauai and have boys take surf lessons on the first day so that on the second day at Kauai, they can do more surfing (take free shuttles to the beach).

8/29/07 (Wednesday) – Hilo

VOLCANOES NATIONAL PARK AND RAINBOW FALLS (ROBERTS HAWAII)

1. This excursion was almost same as NCL but much cheaper because we did not get lunch. However, we had 2 opportunities to get lunches on our own.

2. 1st Stop: Hilo Hattie. I guess they must get commissions from Hilo Hattie because a lot of excursion buses stopped at Hilo Hattie. More free seashell leis for us. Opportunity for you to pick up snacks.

3. 2nd Stop: Mauna Loa Macadamia Nut Factory. I think it was one hour stop to eat, shop, bathroom runs, and see the factory.

ADVICE: Get in line to get something to eat first before shopping for macadamia nuts. There’s turkey sandwich, tuna sandwich, hot dogs, macadamia nuts ice cream, and etc. There are tables for you to sit and enjoy your meals. Lines got really long after everyone shopped for nuts since there was only one cashier for food but lots of cashiers for buying nuts. There’s sample of different mac nuts – my sons’ favorite was the garlic/onion. We had really cool driver who asked if anyone had to get back to the ship by certain time. Since no one had to get back, he gave us extra time in each stops.

4. 3rd Stop: Lava tube. This was neat and thanks to everyone’s advise here to pack flashlights, my sons and husband really enjoyed the dark cave. My husband said this was one of the highlights of the tour. We were the only people with flashlights so it was special treat. I was too chicken to go in with them. Some people who didn’t know any better was making sarcastic remarks such as that we shouldn’t be in the dark cave and etc. I was very tempted to tell them to read the sign where it said you can enter if you have flashlight but kept my mouth shut.

5. 4th Stop: Crater stop and lava. Very interesting.

6. 5th Stop: Steam coming out of rocks; volcanic acid. This is also very interesting.

7. 6th Stop: Museum and bathroom stop.

8. 7th Stop: Orchid Farm: Beautiful orchid farm. Favorite was “chocolate” fragrance orchid and also bathroom stops.

My Extra Remarks: I thought this excursion was well worth the money especially so much cheaper with Roberts Hawaii. I think the only thing we didn’t see what NCL did was the restaurant stop? NCL offered lunch at the VNP restaurant but we did not stop at a restaurant so I’m assuming we skipped that stop with Roberts Hawaii. DON’T forget the flashlight! Very interesting.

8/30/07 (Thursday) – Kona

KONA BAY BEACH BLAST (NCL)

Tender port. Didn’t want to mess with tender schedule so I purposely chose excursion that was ran by NCL so that we’ll be one of the first ones to be off the ship.

1. Grabbed couple of towels – were available by the Stardust theater where we gathered to get off the ship for the excursion. Did not have to sign towels out.

2. Tender boat was little rough but interesting. I was surprise how many people they can fit in..

3. Bus driver met us on the land and took us to the beach.

4. Once we go to the beach we were giving short directions what we need to do if we want to borrow equipment. You had to sign up to use kayak, water bike, and snorkeling equipments. There were beach chairs available but hardly any shaded area. Bathrooms were close by.

5. There was also glass-bottom boat available. We rode it twice and saw lots of fishes and turtles. It was around 20 – 30 minutes ride and Captain and his son was really nice and did their best to show us sealife.

6. My kids enjoyed water bikes and kayaking. My husband loved the snorkeling. Since he is a good swimmer he went pretty far into the water and saw a lot of sealife. My younger son got little surprise when he was snorkeling and found turtle right next to him!

7. Free cold waters (big water jug) was available for everyone.

8. Food they were selling was a joke. They had microwave hamburgers, microwave burritos, and half of sandwiches for $6. I think sodas were $2?

9. On the way back, bus stopped at Hilo Hattie. You can get off and take shuttle back if you want to shop. Bus does not wait for you. My kids and I got off and shopped again at the Hilo Hattie, walked across the street and ate shave ice and then took the shuttle back to the port where we took tender boat back to the ship. Rider back was rougher and person who was sitting in the front got soaked!

My Extra Comments: This excursion was okay but not worth the price especially it didn’t include lunch. Since I’m not a swimmer, I only soaked my feet/leg in the water and my M-I-L did not go into water at all so it was waste of money for 2 of us but I enjoyed taking pictures of my kids in the water.

8/31/07 (Friday) – Maui

MOLOKINI CRATER SNORKEL (NCL)

Only my husband and my younger son took the snorkeling while rest of us went on crater tour so this is info I got my husband.

1. $10 for upper body wet suit. Because the water was kind of cold, my husband got one for my son so that he won’t catch cold.

2. Bus rider to another boat which they had to jump off the ship to snorkel. Had to climb up the ladder to get back on the boat. Just wanted make another comment about rudeness of guests. My husband said he and my son was one of the first ones to get on the boat so he put their personal stuff on the chairs they were sitting on before jumping off to go snorkeling. He said there was family of around 14 (including grandparents, parents, and lots of kids) who took my family’s stuff (which happened to be the best sitting) without asking them and moved it to seats front of doorway which got really cold because people were constantly opening and closing doors so there was a lot of cold air which my younger son was getting. And same people, while my husband my son was climbing up the ladder to get back on the boat, pushed my husband so that they can get on the boat first. No apologies or anything. Luckily my son was already up the ladder but my husband almost fell of the boat because this family instead of taking turns or waiting just pushed him away so that rest of the family can climb up the ladder. It’s really shame that there’s people like them!

3. I guess there was second stop where the turtles is suppose to be but they did not see any. One person saw one turtle and by the time they got there, it was gone.

4. No professional photographer was there to take snorkeling pictures. Luckily I remembered to pack water-proof cameras so hopefully they took some nice pictures.

5. Lunch was provided for this excursion – sandwiches.

My Extra Comments: I didn’t know that you rode another boat which you jumped off the boat. I thought they just took you to private beach/land to snorkel. If I had known it was like this, I think I would have booked them in different type of snorkeling excursion in Kona. I think there were 2 other ones? One was Body Glove and Captain Zodiac? I think they would have enjoyed it more.

Hilo

HALEAKALA CRATER TOUR (ROBERTS HAWAII)

1. Rest of us did the Haleakala Crater tour because we did not want to snorkel.

2. This time we got small shuttle-type bus and our bus driver took us to winding road up to the mountain. There were 15 of us.

3. We went all the way up to 10,000 feet. It was cloudy on top of the mountain and very windy and cold.

4. Saw Silversword plant which was very interesting – I think driver said you can only see them in July, August, and September?

My Extra Comments: Crater was interesting but it’s not something I would do again. It was just good way to kill our time while waiting for my husband and son.

9/1/07 (Saturday) – Maui

MAUI TROPICAL PLANTATION + IAO VALLEY + MAUI OCEAN CENTER (ROBERTS HAWAII)

1. They combined 2 tours together: Iao Valley + Plantation tour and Iao Valley + Plantaion + Maui Ocean Center tour. We went to Iao Valley first and were there for 30 minutes to walk around to see Iao Needle. Very beautiful! Bathroom stop. Take water. I got really thirsty but no where to buy water.

2. Another stop 5 minutes later. Another bathroom stop. Little area that had Korean, Chinese, Japanese theme areas.

3. Next stop was at Maui Tropical Plantation. We arrived around 11 am and we were told to get on the 11:30 am tram ride. Store for shopping, shave ice. Tram ride took around 1/2 hour and our driver gave us coconut cracking demo. Lots of coffee plants, coconut trees, and etc. Saw cute ducklings walking around.

4. People who were also taking Maui Ocean Center were dropped off while the driver took other tour people back to the ship. We had around 1-1/2 hours to look around the Ocean Center. Very small and we finished early so we got ice cream and sat around and waited for the bus. Since we are used to Sea World in San Diego, we weren’t that impressed with the Ocean Center. I did really like the turtle tank though which I don’t remember seeing it in Sea World.

5. Took about 25 minutes to get back to the ship.

My Extra Comments: This tour was pretty good. I enjoyed it.

9/2/07 (Sunday) – Honolulu

GRAND CIRCLE ISLAND TOUR (NCL)

Our flight was 10:15 pm so I wanted to do a long tour so I chose Grand Circle Island.

1. We met at the Stardust Theater around 9:30 pm and let port around 10 am. Our tour tags were delivered to our rooms Friday night so all we had to do was pack our luggage on Saturday and put our red TOUR tags on the luggage and put them outside our door on Saturday night. We kept one small luggage to put all our pajamas and took that luggage with us to the Stardust Theater Sunday morning for the excursion. When we got off the ship, our red tagged luggages were all in one area. We picked up our luggage, took them to the tour bus where they put them under the bus. Very easy!

2. 1st stop: Drove 3 miles long Waikiki beach line – saw a lot of surfers. Beautiful waves! Stopped at Diamond Head for 10 minutes to take pictures.

3. 2nd stop: Hanauma Bay – bus driver mentioned best place to snorkel Stopped for 15 minutes.

4. 3rd stop: Geyser: Stopped to see small water geyser for 10 minutes.

5. 4th stop: Another quick stop for 5 minutes to see views.

6. 5th stop: Ice Cream and bathroom stop for 20 minutes. Little time to do shopping.

7. 6th stop: Kualoa Ranch: Buffet lunch provided as part of the excursion. Ribs, teriyaki chicken (very good), salad, stem veggies, chili, rice, guava juice, and water. There was sign that indicated that for adults, it’s $15.95 and for child, it’s $10.95. We had one hour to eat and walk around. Merchandise in this ranch was expensive – other places had same items for much less price.

8. 7th stop: Macadamia private farm/store. Stopped for 20 minutes. Lots of free samples. They had Kona coffee coated macadamia nuts which I did not see anywhere else so picked up bag for my friend. In the back of the store, there was couple of “native” guys selling fresh coconuts. My younger son wanted to try it so we bought one ($5). They cut it right in front of you and give you straw to drink the coconut juice. After you finish the juice, they cut the coconut meat for you to eat. It was interesting but I don’t think any of us really liked it. There were a lot of chickens and rooster and they liked the fresh coconuts! LOL! Oh, this is also a bathroom stop.

9. Drove to North Shore. Bus driver gave us price ranges of all the houses as we drove around.

10. Stop at Sunset Beach for 15 minutes.

11. Last stop: Dole Plantation for 45 minutes. Lots of time to shop. Bathroom stop. There was people selling fresh roasted corn for $4 each and had “shoyu” butter for the corn and it was delicious. Big store for shopping. My kids wanted to do the maze which was $6 for adult but didn’t get to finish since they already used too much time eating corn and getting pineapple ice cream. They were in the maze for around 20 minutes and I had to tell them to come out because our time was almost up and we had to get back in the bus. I did not buy fresh pineapples so I don’t know how much they were. I did buy pineapple candies which I haven’t opened yet.

12. Bus driver stopped at each airline since we all had different flights.

13. There’s agricultural check up for your luggage before you can proceed to getting your tickets. We still had few hours to kill before our flight so we ate nachos at one of the bar and walked around. Everyone was very tired so we all fell asleep as soon as plane took off. We arrived on time.

My Extra Comments: I enjoyed this excursion and I’m glad I did this tour since we had so much time before our flight. I know each stop sound too short but it was enough time for what you need to do: bathroom runs, shopping, eating, taking pictures, and etc. I thought this tour was well worth the money compare to other excursion especially since we were given decent buffet

• Administrators

Thanks for the detailed review, Alikim! :) I know you were concerned about that last day on Oahu, so I'm glad the grand circle tour met your needs and was enjoyable. I'm also glad you found the flashlights tip helpful for Thurston Lava Tube! We always carry flashlights on a cruise (you never know when you might have an electrical problem on board -- it has happened more than a couple of times) so it was no biggie to stuff 'em in the bag for our Volcanoes National Park day -- it made it extra cool to go into the dark side. And you are completely correct, the sign expressly invites those with flashlights to go check out the dark side of the tube -- that would be why the gate is open, instead of locked!

I'm glad you and your family had a great trip, and I appreciate you sharing your thoughts! :)

Alikim, nice review, I love to read all about the excursions.

Sounds like you planned out very well. I'm excited to read you enjoyed the circle tour. I booked the Grand Finale tour with NCl and have been thinking maybe I should just rent a car. We also have a late flight so after reading your post I think it's a good thing!

Thanks for thaking the time to post!

I asked my husband and he said they (people who did the excursion) told them if you are very beginner or if you don't feel comfortable jumping off the boat, you can use the 2 ladders that was in the back of the boat. Since both my husband and my son did little snorkeling day bfore and they are pretty good swimmers, instead of waiting in long line, they just jumped off the boat.

They gave "noodles" to float and had floating vest available for senior citizens and younger kids.

I was just surprised because I didn't even think it'll be in the middle of the ocean. Stupid me thought you start from the "beach" area, sand area and then swim into the ocean.

Like I mentioned in my review, I think other snorkeling, Captain Zodiac or Body Glove has much better reviews. My husband was very disappointed with NCL's Molokini Crater snorkeling.

My husband said, the boat ride was pretty long, you get continental breakfast in the morning and when they came back from the first snorkeling, they had set up lunch which were sandwiches.

I am concerned about the NCL Molokini Crater Snorkel. Do I understand that you "jump off the boat" to snorkel? You don't go down the ladder? I am confused. Can you clarify?

I really had my doubts before I went on this tour but I'm glad I did it because it turned out I enjoyed the most because we did so many things and got to see so many things. 8 hours seem long but by the time we finished the tour, I couldn't believe it already over. I know someone mentioned they didn't like it because they thought it wasn't enough time in each stops but I thought it was plenty and there were always late arrival to the bus at each stops and the bus driver never complained or said anything. So actually eventhough he may said "15 minutes", actually it was more like 20 to 25 minutes. Maybe it depended on the bus driver?

Alikim, nice review, I love to read all about the excursions.

Sounds like you planned out very well. I'm excited to read you enjoyed the circle tour. I booked the Grand Finale tour with NCl and have been thinking maybe I should just rent a car. We also have a late flight so after reading your post I think it's a good thing!

Thanks for thaking the time to post!

There were 2 sets of tables on one side with 2 bar tenders in each table and on the other side there was also a bar where you can get the drinks. There were long line at the bar, maybe people wanted something else other than mai tais and Blue Hawaiin? The 2 tables were set up for mai tais and Blue Hawaiin only (and sodas) and there were no lines.

There were no limits. You can get much drinks as you want. My husband is pretty heavy drinker and he had enough so you know there was plenty of free booze! LOL!

I didn't try to get 2 mai tais at the same time but I don't see why not. I know my husband quickly finished one and got another one right afterwards and no one said anything.

Not that I plan on overindulging but I had understood they had open bar at the luau. Were you limited to the one mai tai? How does this work?

Great reviews by the way. Thanks!

There were 2 sets of tables on one side with 2 bar tenders in each table and on the other side there was also a bar where you can get the drinks. There were long line at the bar, maybe people wanted something else other than mai tais and Blue Hawaiin? The 2 tables were set up for mai tais and Blue Hawaiin only (and sodas) and there were no lines.

There were no limits. You can get much drinks as you want. My husband is pretty heavy drinker and he had enough so you know there was plenty of free booze! LOL!

I didn't try to get 2 mai tais at the same time but I don't see why not. I know my husband quickly finished one and got another one right afterwards and no one said anything.

Thanks Alikim! Just what I had hoped!

Has anyone taken the Grand Finale Tour with NCL? I am going on the pride of Aloha soon and wondered how long you stayed at Pearl Harbor and how long you had at the PCC? Also what time would you be dropped off at the airport? Any information would be helpful. Thanks!

Are you going on Sunday to Sunday Pride of Aloha? I think I read Pride of Aloha is changing to more than 7 days cruise?

I'm asking because if it's Sunday to Sunday cruise, Grand Finale is not offered because PCC is closed on Sundays. I would have done this excursions if it was offered but it wasn't.

Has anyone taken the Grand Finale Tour with NCL? I am going on the pride of Aloha soon and wondered how long you stayed at Pearl Harbor and how long you had at the PCC? Also what time would you be dropped off at the airport? Any information would be helpful. Thanks!

I'm looking for the same info as we have booked this tour.

I think it's been asked before and no one answered. I did read that you might not enjoy the full luau because you have to be at the airport.

Try doing search on this forum to read what others have heard.

Sorry can't be much of help.

Alikim - I am going on the pride to Aloha from 09/19 to 09/29 so I am taking that excursion on Sat. I wonder if it will be enough time to see a lot of the PCC.

Archived