Porvoo and Horse Farm or Helsinki on your own?

Jolynn2262

Has anyone done the ships trip to Porvoo with the stop at the horse farm? Is this worthwhile? It takes an hour each way and while it sounds very interesting I'm just wondering if it really is worth the time vs just taking a shuttle into Helsinki and dong the Ho Ho bus to see the sights and shopping. The horse farm sounds charming with a snack and the farmers children performing on the horses they raise there. I haven't read much about it and would like to know of other's experience.

Granted I'm not much into horses, but wandering central Helsinki, grazing on treats at the outdoor market, and window shopping was a lot of fun for me.

I think somone else mentioned this elsewhere, but the ferry to Suomenlinna Island was also a great (and relatively inexpensive) experience.

It's been 3 years since we did the tour through Celebrity (one of only 2 ship sponsored tours we took - everything else we arranged privately) and had a great time.

We had time in Porvoo (the candy store and a few antique shops were the highlight for me - taking photos was husbands highlight), enjoyed seeing the countryside during the bus trip, the lunch at the horse farm was done very well, and we still had time to see the rock church and spent time shopping in the market across from the main square (was this city hall? I can't remember).

Even if you are not really into horses, I think many would enjoy this trip. However, I also think a trip to Suomenlinna would also be great. Check into renting a private sauna (pronounced like "soun a" and not "saw na") for a truly Finish experience

to see in the city are the rock church and maybe the market and the other poster said you'll still be able to. There is also a beautiful white church, but it's within walking distance of the market (and while it's beautiful, it's not as unique as the rock church). This probably won't leave time for much else like shopping (except maybe in the market), but I didn't think the shopping there was anything to write home about - save your shopping money and time for Russian souvenirs and Stockholm's crystal.

I thought the city itself was very pretty (a little like San Francisco), and I enjoyed walking around it, but if I wouldn't have done an excursion (like the way you want to do porvoo), I think I might have gotten a little bored.

I also think a trip to Suomenlinna would also be great. Check into renting a private sauna (pronounced like "soun a" and not "saw na") for a truly Finish experience

DD -- we would be really interested in the private soun a experience!

Can you let me know more about it? Email mike at bully4 dot us.

Thanks!

Has anyone done the ships trip to Porvoo with the stop at the horse farm? Is this worthwhile? It takes an hour each way and while it sounds very interesting I'm just wondering if it really is worth the time vs just taking a shuttle into Helsinki and dong the Ho Ho bus to see the sights and shopping. The horse farm sounds charming with a snack and the farmers children performing on the horses they raise there. I haven't read much about it and would like to know of other's experience.

We did this excursion in July 06. It was very nice.

On our 14 day itinerary, it was the only excursion we booked through the cruiseline.

I really wanted to go to this horse farm....

and taking the ship's excursion was the only way it was going to happen.

I certainly recommend.

Here is my review....

you can read more about the excursion:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=380651

BTW, my children were able to ride in their "horse drawn carts".

Archived