How many of you really pay attention to what others are wearing??

Happy ks

I will be honest I do look at what other people are wearing, but I don't look to judge but because I love clothing, fashion, colors, and just everything about clothing.

I also look to learn how some people match pieces, wear their hair, jewerly, and shoes.

I am not too bad at matching colors, fabrics, and designs but I am also afraid I may make a huge mistake so I always try to keep things simple. I also discover pieces of clothing on people that I thought would never work looks good together.

I will admit to my friends or DH when I see something I do like and sometimes when I see things I don't like.

I can honestly say that I think there are more women that do notice than women that don't. I think we are just born with that type of perception.

When you look at someone and decide you don't like their outfit, you're making a judgement. When you look at them and decide you like their outfit, it's also a judgement. It's really that's not a bad thing. It's normal and natural. Why people get so defensive and say they don't judge is silly.

Now, if you went up to someone and told them you didn't like their outfit, you'd be quite rude. That's a different situation.

And yes, some people are more narrow minded than others in their judgements and probably lose out on some nice conversations or fun times because they judge others too harshly. C'est la vie.

But stop apologizing for judging. We all do it everyday and for many reasons and it's not always a negative thing.

Sorry, I don't mean this just to you, but for everyone who keeps apologizing for judging others, or for those who think they don't do it. We all do it!

FWIW, I made a judgement just last night, giving up on an aquaintance because of her complete lack of respect for me. She's an early 20-something from our dance studio, and I like her, but just can't deal with another XL Grumpy t-shirt or frackin Steelers jersey at an event calling for decent clothing. My wife and I have taken her out and bought her nice clothes, my wife made her a dress for our last showcase dance. Last night she showed up at our house to ride to a dance with us in jeans and an XL Steelers long sleeve jersey, it was at least 2 and probably 3 sizes too big, her excuse, "it's comfortable". She'd asked my wife what we were wearing and it isn't like we were putting on the dog, I had on dress pants and a mock neck knit shirt, my wife had on a $50 dress she bought on sale for $10, the other girl we picked up had on nice capris and a cute patterned top. Pretty much every other lady there last night had on a dress, or nice pants and top combo. That was the straw that broke the camel's back, I'll still have her over for dinner, meet her for breakfast, but she isn't showing up with me again if she can't dress decent. That's all I ask, and like I said, I've even bought her clothes, maybe it's harsh, but that's life. You know, sometimes you have to cut your losses.

I think when people say they don't judge it really means that they don't automatically make assumptions about others because of their clothing.

It's hard not to assume someone is not of a particular life style by their clothing. But, to pass judgement on their character because of their choice or preference in life is the problem. There are people whom I have met that I have absolutely nothing in common with, but I still enjoy a conversation with them.

At my work there is a woman who likes motorcycles, the tight leather clothing, the hair and makeup, I've seen her companions and normanlly I would avoid being around these type of people. While it's a 180 degree difference from my leisure time, I enjoy her immensely, she's kind, funny, positive and has high moral values. Far different than what I first would have assumed based merely on her choice of clothing and style.

We've also had the pleasure of meeting senior couples on cruises with whom we've had a lively conversation and have found them to be more favorable dinner companions than people closer to our own age.

The point is that while we all have our own preference for style, or lack of it in what people call comfort, is that you cannot assume a personality because of that style. Be open to people and you may find that punk rock kid next to you has a delightful personality :)

Archived