2008/09 Princess Hawaiian Cruise only 14 days!

Arnold Don

Why has Princess dropped Kona off the Hawaiian itinerary, reduced the number of days in Hawaii, and the total length of the cruise to 14 days. It was always a long trip with many sea days, but you got 5 days in the islands. Now it will be the same number of sea days, but only 4 days in the islands. Price doen't seem to be any cheaper.:confused:

Even more reason for us not to consider a mainland r/t cruise. I'm sure it will still be a good cruise for those who love the numerous sea days and consider the destination a secondary concern. That is a real shame about Kona as it's a favorite of ours.

beachchick

We missed Kona on our 15-day... so I know how others will feel with so many sea days. We were "compensated" with a full day in Ensenada instead of just 4 hours. We have decided we won't do the RT again... DH didn't like all of those sea days in a row. We did enjoy the cruise, I just know what his limits are. Anyway - we would consider the 1-ways or the circle cruises in the future. Our next trip to the islands will be a land vacation next Christmas to Kona. I am very excited about that one since we missed that port.

But, to drop to only 4 ports is probably a poor decision on Princess' part... seems quite odd.

• Administrators
We missed Kona on our 15-day... so I know how others will feel with so many sea days. We were "compensated" with a full day in Ensenada instead of just 4 hours. We have decided we won't do the RT again... DH didn't like all of those sea days in a row. We did enjoy the cruise, I just know what his limits are. Anyway - we would consider the 1-ways or the circle cruises in the future. Our next trip to the islands will be a land vacation next Christmas to Kona. I am very excited about that one since we missed that port.

But, to drop to only 4 ports is probably a poor decision on Princess' part... seems quite odd.

LOL, Ensenada ~~~ Kona --- that one wouldn't take me long! ;) But it COULD be, to reply to the OP, that for some reason on that particular cruise Kona wasn't available -- you didn't say when you are sailing -- if it's near the IronMan triathalon in October, the ships are avoiding Kona like the plague. That activity will overwhelm everyone else. I know Diamond Princess (per www.cruisecal.com) is/was scheduled to be there the Friday before the Ironman this year; does that happen to be your ship? Every other ship is avoiding Kona anywhere near that weekend, including NCLA's POH changing its itinerary to two days in Hilo and none in Kona. Maybe Princess's scheduling department got a look at what was involved and said "oh no way, the complaints would outweigh the revenue -- let's add a sea day instead" Just a thought.

I've known folks that have done the mainland RT cruise and it appears it's only fun if you enjoy being on the ship and limited to ship activities for the most part. A few enjoyed being on the boat and reading on the trip there and back.

Personally, with how cheap the airfare can be if you can go anytime other than summer and holiday times, it's better to fly there and get more time on the islands with the cruises that start and end at the islands. :)

Living in California, we, too, were very surprised when Princess cut out it's call at Kona beginning in Fall 2008. We thought the fact that Princess visited ALL the Hawaiian islands (except Molokai and Lanai where NO cruiseline stops yet) was a very big draw for Princess. We did the RT twice on the Island and will again in December on the Diamond. We love sea days and will not fly and Hawaii is our favorite place. I'm not sure we'll continue taking this cruise next year once they eliminate Kona although I would rather see Kona OR Hilo eliminated rather than Kauai. That would definitely end our island cruising with Princess. We'd have to go back to driving to Vancouver and taking the one way to and around the islands and then staying aboard for the return to Ensenada/San Diego. A great cruise but so much more hassle. We've done that twice and loved it, once on RCCL and once on Carnival. Also, those back/back cruises involved being gone almost a month, and even though we are retired, that's a long time in DH's opinion. I, on the other hand, loved every minute of those trips!

• Administrators
Living in California, we, too, were very surprised when Princess cut out it's call at Kona beginning in Fall 2008. We thought the fact that Princess visited ALL the Hawaiian islands (except Molokai and Lanai where NO cruiseline stops yet) was a very big draw for Princess. We did the RT twice on the Island and will again in December on the Diamond. We love sea days and will not fly and Hawaii is our favorite place. I'm not sure we'll continue taking this cruise next year once they eliminate Kona although I would rather see Kona OR Hilo eliminated rather than Kauai. That would definitely end our island cruising with Princess. We'd have to go back to driving to Vancouver and taking the one way to and around the islands and then staying aboard for the return to Ensenada/San Diego. A great cruise but so much more hassle. We've done that twice and loved it, once on RCCL and once on Carnival. Also, those back/back cruises involved being gone almost a month, and even though we are retired, that's a long time in DH's opinion. I, on the other hand, loved every minute of those trips!

Well, that ends my speculation. :) I simply cannot see why anyone would take a circle tour from the West Coast and NOT visit all the main islands of Hawaii, other than for the reason that the cruise itself is the main point of the vacation (which is fine, no judgment implied, I love sea days too!). But if Hawaii is the priority, for something approaching half the cost and half the vacation days, you could see all of them on the reasonably clean, reasonably well-staffed ships of NCLA. Maybe Princess figures with the withdrawal of POH they can afford to cut a day here and there? Other than the Ironman thing I couldn't think of a single reason to cut a port of call in Hawaii, especially when not replacing it with a sea day as a revenue generator.

I wonder if the reasoning is that a 15-day trip just doesn't sell as well as a 14-day one. Maybe most people don't want a cruise that starts and ends in the middle of the week if they can only take weekly vacations? IF WE DIDN'T MIND FLYING, I definitely agree that NCL would be the way to go. I think Princess is giving business to them by not keeping their 15-day Hawaiian cruise.

It seems to me that in the last few years that Princess has been doing this trip that their Hawaiian business has really picked up. Of course, I have no first hand knowledge of this, but it looks like the Diamond is booking very well for this year, even better than the Island last year. I wonder if it will still be as popular once they drop a port. Too bad in our opinion. Come on, Princess, keep the 15-day trip. Better yet, add a few more days with overnights in a couple of ports!!

Excellent! I hope you love Kona/Kohala as much as we do.

I really believe that land trips are the best way to spend serious time in Hawaii. We thoroughly enjoyed our PoH cruise and think the Hawaii-only itinerary is a great way for pax to get a tiny taste of the different islands. (Of course, we've got a bit of a history trying to do the Hawaii only itinerary. First time on the Patriot, I broke my ankle on day 3 and the ship broke; second time later in the same year, ACV declared bankruptcy 3 weeks before our Independence cruise. Thank goodness for travel insurance and some last minute land reservations we snagged.) The 11-night PoAl Hawaii-only itinerary is by far the best I've seen. If we were to do a Hawaii cruise again, we'd look at that because you get an extra day on Oahu, a day tendered at Lahaina, and a couple of "sea" days cruising island coasts (such as Molokai) that we wouldn't see any other way.

I'm sorry you missed Kona, but now you've got it to look forward to later. That's definitely an excellent place to spend Christmas.:D

beachchick

Excellent! I hope you love Kona/Kohala as much as we do.

I really believe that land trips are the best way to spend serious time in Hawaii. We thoroughly enjoyed our PoH cruise and think the Hawaii-only itinerary is a great way for pax to get a tiny taste of the different islands. (Of course, we've got a bit of a history trying to do the Hawaii only itinerary. First time on the Patriot, I broke my ankle on day 3 and the ship broke; second time later in the same year, ACV declared bankruptcy 3 weeks before our Independence cruise. Thank goodness for travel insurance and some last minute land reservations we snagged.) The 11-night PoAl Hawaii-only itinerary is by far the best I've seen. If we were to do a Hawaii cruise again, we'd look at that because you get an extra day on Oahu, a day tendered at Lahaina, and a couple of "sea" days cruising island coasts (such as Molokai) that we wouldn't see any other way.

I'm sorry you missed Kona, but now you've got it to look forward to later. That's definitely an excellent place to spend Christmas.:D

beachchick

Thanks beachchick... we are really looking forward to it. We love to explore and this seems just the area to do it. I am glad we did do the 15 day because we got to see a little bit of the islands AND I was able to convince my husband to come back - even though he has to fly - which he HATES! I wish it were this year, but alas - it will be next. Woo Hoo!

Thanks beachchick... we are really looking forward to it. We love to explore and this seems just the area to do it. I am glad we did do the 15 day because we got to see a little bit of the islands AND I was able to convince my husband to come back - even though he has to fly - which he HATES! I wish it were this year, but alas - it will be next. Woo Hoo!

I'm so glad you enjoyed your cruise. (Just because we aren't interested in the mainland r/t cruises doesn't mean I think people who do enjoy them are "wrong" in any way, shape, or form. Any way you can get to Hawaii is a good way.)

If your DH drinks, just ply him with mai tais on the flight over to "calm" his nerves, as it were.

And you've got the exact correct attitude: Have a next trip planned and look forward to it.:D May I suggest that this Christmas you do a little "Hawaii" as part of your celebration? Make a pineapple upside down cake instead of one of the usual pies. Serve mai tais or other tropical beverages--Who cares that it's winter because there's never a bad time to have a mai tai. Make one of your gifts to your DH a cool Aloha shirt or two to have ready for your 2008 trip. Heck, buy a lei and do a hula for your hubby if that's the kind of thing he might enjoy.;)

beachchick

beachchick - I always enjoy your posts!!

Funny - you mention putting a little Hawaii in Christmas. Hawaii is part of our lives in more ways that I can think of now that I have taken up Polynesian dancing. It has about 1-1/2 years since I started and love it. So - he definitley Lives Aloha with me.

We were going to be in Mexico on a cruise for Christmas this year, but I moved it out 2 weeks to save a bunch of $$.... so I like your ideas to make it a little more festive, now that we will be home.

Mahalo!

Archived